UKC

Peak District mountain bike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy27 18 May 2017
Last minute weekend in the Peak coming up, just me and the bike. Recommendations for routes would be very much appreciated and links to gpx tracks if you have them. A couple of 20-40 mile routes, with some decent technical sections would be ideal. Have a car, so not to worried about where in the Peak. Thanks.
 cmgcmg 19 May 2017
In reply to Andy27:

Hayfield to edale and back. No GPX . Up past the campsite aiming for Jacobs ladder back via Chapel Gate track/rushop edge.
 Chris the Tall 19 May 2017
In reply to Andy27:

This is a good starter

https://www.v-publishing.co.uk/files/downloads/VP-Kinder-All-Weather-MTB-Do...

If you want to extend it you can head east from Edale via Jagger's Clough, either the beast or potato alley (depending upon how technical you want it) then drop down to Fairholmes via Lockerbrook.
 the mist 19 May 2017
In reply to Andy27:

flattyres has plenty of routes with gpx files
 Mal Grey 19 May 2017
In reply to Andy27:

No GPX files but a good 20 miler is

Ladybower near A57/A6013 junction
Road via Yorkshire Bridge and Thornhill to Aston
Up onto Hope Brink via Edge Farm (short steep part but mostly grass or track)
Along to Hope Cross
Blackley Clough/potato alley/Blackley Hey down to Rowlee Bridge (fairly technical stony descent but OK. "Potato" refers to the size of the many stones covering the track)
Across and up past Rowlee Farm to junction above Hagg Farm (good surface)
Down past Lockerbrook centre to nr Gores Farm (fast and fun, increasingly steep at end, short techy bits)
Road to Fairholmes
Round far side of Ladybower to Grindle CLough
CLimb towards Wheel Stones and traverse track to WHinstone Lee Tor (bastard climb up flagstones then rough narrow track, after that OK and traverse is very pleasant)
East to Cutthroat Bridge (fast and enjoyable, not very technical)
Down track Parallel to road via pub and back to car (pebbly and stony but not too bad)

TobyA 19 May 2017
In reply to Andy27:
Its really wet at the moment, which will make some routes pretty unpleasant - I rode the loop above Baslow, Cubar and Froggatt last night and was literally soaked to the skin as well as covered in mud in just an hour.

If the weather forecast wasn't so bad I'd say do Cut Gate: in the Dark Peak MTB guide they suggest a route from Fairholmes visitor centre, along the banks of the Derwent reservoirs before going up to Cut Gate, down to Langsett, back up to cut gate then the amazing descent back down to the Derwent Valley. Some pics linked from here https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=664001
Post edited at 16:21
 Chris the Tall 19 May 2017
In reply to Mal Grey:
I normally do that circuit as a figure of 8 rather than as a loop

Hope Brink is one of my favourite climbs, and Lockerbrook/Gores Farm a brilliant (& not too difficult) descent

But that bastard climb is just too much of a bastard for me, much more fun as a descent, whereas the other way up Whinstone Lee Tor, including the section behind the pub, is entirely rideable and you get a stunning view at the top
OP Andy27 19 May 2017
In reply to Andy27:
Thanks for your replies, much appreciated.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...