UKC

Bowel Cancer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 waterbaby 19 May 2017
Dear Climbing community, please, please could you spare a few pounds to sponsor myself and my work colleagues for Bowel Cancer UK's 'Step up for 30.'

Bowel cancer is the second most common cause of cancer death in the UK.
Help Bowel Cancer Uk to raise awareness and reduce deaths from Bowel Cancer.

Thank You

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/SurreyBowelCancerScreeningTeam?utm_s...
 mountainbagger 19 May 2017
In reply to waterbaby:

Good for you. And thank you from someone whose brother in law is halfway through chemo for stage 4 advanced bowel cancer with liver mets. Before chemo, the prognosis was dreary to say the least (1% chance of seeing 5 years). Midway scan was about as good as it could be short of divine intervention and he now has "options", so we're all chuffed to bits to have a bit of hope.

Keep making a difference
OP waterbaby 20 May 2017
In reply to mountainbagger:
Thank you for your support.
Sorry to hear about your Brother-in-law but glad to hear he now has options.
I wish him all the best.

OP waterbaby 20 May 2017
In reply to waterbaby:

To anyone else reading this, if you are offered bowel screening at 55yrs or from 60yrs please take up the offer. We are not looking for cancers, we are looking for benign polyps which have the potential to change into cancers. When we do find a cancer it is usually in the earlier stages, which has a better outcome.
If you have any symptoms at any age, bleeding, loose stools or pain, go and see your GP.
Rigid Raider 20 May 2017
In reply to waterbaby:

After thirty years of disruption caused by export travel I'm happy to get a decent morning habit reestablished after I return home. I watch for blood and I have done the NHS screening test - does this pick up polyps? My father had bowel cancer and lived for years with a colostomy.
 mountainbagger 20 May 2017
In reply to waterbaby:

> To anyone else reading this, if you are offered bowel screening at 55yrs or from 60yrs please take up the offer. We are not looking for cancers, we are looking for benign polyps which have the potential to change into cancers. When we do find a cancer it is usually in the earlier stages, which has a better outcome. If you have any symptoms at any age, bleeding, loose stools or pain, go and see your GP.

My brother in law is 44. And he says he had no symptoms until just before they discovered it at such an advanced stage. So I would definitely recommend screening if you are offered it.

OP waterbaby 20 May 2017
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Hi Rigid Raider
The poo test kit that is sent out every 2 yrs from 60 is looking for blood in the stool. Polyps and cancers sometimes bleed. If you have a positive test you will be invited for a colonoscopy...think 'picolax thread.'

The colonoscopy looks for Polyps and removes them.
OP waterbaby 20 May 2017
In reply to mountainbagger:

I did wonder how old he was. Unfortunately by the time you have symptoms the cancer can sometimes be advanced which is why screening is important. Sadly screening starts from 55yrs which doesn't help those people who develop it much earlier.
If you have a strong family history of Bowel Cancer it is worth asking for a one off colonoscopy.

OP waterbaby 20 May 2017
In reply to waterbaby:

Thank you to the UK climber who generously donated
 mountainbagger 20 May 2017
In reply to waterbaby:

> If you have a strong family history of Bowel Cancer it is worth asking for a one off colonoscopy.

Thanks, yes both my wife (his sister) and his Mum have booked themselves in for one.

A friend of mine is also a survivor, having been diagnosed with stage 3 (?) bowel some years ago (also under 50). He's recently been given the all clear. He was being screened regularly due to family history, so they caught it early (though it had already spread to one (?) lymph nodes).

UKClimbing user was me
 More-On 20 May 2017
In reply to waterbaby:

Having just had a shed load of polyps removed I'm very happy to support you and help spread the word.

Keep up the good work!!
In reply to waterbaby:

Just donated, it got my dad last year. But not till he reached 94.

Well done for the fund raising and raising awareness.
OP waterbaby 20 May 2017
In reply to More-On:

Thank you
OP waterbaby 20 May 2017
In reply to mountain.martin:

Thanks so much
 More-On 21 May 2017
In reply to waterbaby:

My pleasure
(to give this a bump)
 Timmd 24 May 2017
In reply to waterbaby:

Is it right that diet can make a big difference, with things like sausages and red meat being unhelpful?
 Rob Parsons 27 May 2017
In reply to waterbaby:

> ...The poo test kit that is sent out every 2 yrs from 60 is looking for blood in the stool ...

In Scotland, that shit-testing kit is sent out every 2 years to anybody aged over 50. Is it 60 in England? I wonder why the difference? Funding, I guess.

I always enjoy sending mine back, addressed to Prof Sample O'Shite, at Dundee Teaching Hospital.
 Dr.S at work 28 May 2017
In reply to Rob Parsons:
> In Scotland, that shit-testing kit is sent out every 2 years to anybody aged over 50. Is it 60 in England? I wonder why the difference? Funding, I guess.I always enjoy sending mine back, addressed to Prof Sample O'Shite, at Dundee Teaching Hospital.

Scottish life expectancy being what it is they start looking earlier?

Actually with a quick google, appears to be more common in Scotland than England, so that may affect the value of screening programs.

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/health-professional/cancer-statistics/stati...

Post edited at 15:43

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...