/ Chalk bags with pockets?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Otis - on 19 May 2017
My current chalk bag has a small zipped pocket on it - perfect for popping my car or locker key in when at the wall, or a whistle or other random odds and bods when outdoors. Sadly the zip has died, so I'm looking for a replacement.

Can anyone recommend any bags with similar pockets?

Cheers,

Mike.
More-On - on 19 May 2017
In reply to Otis:

Mammut multipitch.
Not cheap but it will happily carry phone, keys, cards and my spare glasses.
Fraser on 19 May 2017
In reply to More-On:

That's actually a damned handy bit of kit, particularly for a multi-pitch route! Cheers for the heads up.

Link below for anyone else interested:

https://www.mammut.ch/INT/en/B2C-Kategorie/Men/Multipitch-Chalk-Bag/p/2290-00880-0001-1

john arran - on 19 May 2017
In reply to Fraser:

I was once given a chalk bag from Boreal which had no fewer than 3 separate zipped pockets. While their shoes are the dog's bollox, the idea of 3 pockets in a chalk bag was ridiculous. I felt like the weight of it was pulling me down! Thankfully they sent me a much lighter one to replace it. Does nobody climb in trousers with zipped pockets?
AlanLittle - on 19 May 2017
In reply to Fraser:

You have to be careful not to stuff it too full of items other than chalk though, otherwise it becomes difficult to get your hand in for the actual using it as a chalkbag part.
Fraser on 19 May 2017
In reply to john arran:

> I felt like the weight of it was pulling me down!

Yep, I can imagine a full one could become a bit weighty.

> Thankfully they sent me a much lighter one to replace it. Does nobody climb in trousers with zipped pockets?

I really dislike climbing with anything in my pockets as it tends to interfere with the harness and therefore movement, so being able to stick a few bits and bobs in the pocket of a chalk bag would be good IMO. Short of taking a small rucksack on a MP route, I think this is a winner.

More-On - on 19 May 2017
In reply to AlanLittle:

Can't say I've had an issue - I must have smaller hands than I thought
More-On - on 19 May 2017
In reply to Fraser:

> Yep, I can imagine a full one could become a bit weighty

It can, but the safety net of having spare specs with me on MP is worth it, even if it's all in the head...

> I think this is a winner.

Best solution I've found so far!
Timmd on 19 May 2017
In reply to Otis:
My own solution for not losing my set of 3 keys is to have them on a loop of 5mm cord which is larks footed around one of my belt loops so they can sit in my front pocket too. I lost my 'unlosable key ring' which was a D shape carabiner, and went for something which never left whatever trousers I'm wearing. It's worked so far.

I don't know what it is with me and keys, they always seem to get lost eventually.
Post edited at 23:42
angry pirate - on 20 May 2017
In reply to Otis:

I use one of these: https://psychi.co.uk/climbing-chalk-bag-black.html though in the garish yellow
Zipped pockets will fit keys and phone at a push but it's a little cramped. Keys on their own are spot on.
BStar - on 20 May 2017
In reply to Otis:

+1 for the mammut multipitch. Used it for a year now and it's amazing. i always have a couple of cereal bars stashed in it, along with my phone keys and even a wind proof jacket (montane featherlite smock type jobby) if I think it's going to get cold.

Really handy chalk bag and even though it's a bit more expensive it's certainly worth it.
Wayne S - on 20 May 2017
In reply to Otis:

Arc'teryx C80 chalk bag has a zipped pocket just under the belt attachment. I like it because it's big, and my hands fit rather than because of any pocket (would prefer it without myself) . But it's a pretty good chalk bag though expensive.

A chalk bag is one thing I have lost whilst climbing, Never to be seen on Miroir d'Argentine inside the chimney on the direct.
Whilst the zipped bag would be perfect for the wall, I would consider a bit of cord round the neck on multipitch where a sack isn't coming with you for stuff like car keys.
kirsten on 20 May 2017
In reply to Wayne S:

just bought a wild country one from Rock n Run, after the zip broke on a Prana one after a disappointingly short amount of time.
jon on 20 May 2017
In reply to Fraser:

> That's actually a damned handy bit of kit, particularly for a multi-pitch route! Cheers for the heads up.Link below for anyone else interested:https://www.mammut.ch/INT/en/B2C-Kategorie/Men/Multipitch-Chalk-Bag/p/2290-00880-0001-1

Except that I'd not want to trust all that to the fastex buckle. I don't have a problem with the strength of it at all, just that I've seen my chalk bag disappearing into the depths three times now when it's undone itself when I've reached down to do something. Of course this may have something to with my, err... waistline, but whatever, my bit of 6mm cord has never yet let me down. Oh, and reef knot, before you ask!
More-On - on 20 May 2017
In reply to jon:

> Except that I'd not want to trust all that to the fastex buckle.

Should perhaps have said I use cord with mine, both for security and tat if needs be.

Otis - on 20 May 2017
In reply to Otis:
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. That mammut one looks great, but possibly a bit chunky for everyday use for me. Have found a wild country cargo bag online so hopefully that'll do the trick-will report back when it arrives.

Pete Houghton - on 22 May 2017
In reply to Timmd:

> My own solution for not losing my set of 3 keys is to have them on a loop of 5mm cord which is larks footed around one of my belt loops so they can sit in my front pocket too.

The added bonus of this technique is that your keys can now be used as emergency pitons.
Timmd on 22 May 2017
In reply to Pete Houghton:
Indeed! If I keep my card in my blood glucose monitoring kit too, which is also attached to a waist loop, my own daftness doesn't trip me up.

It's weird, I never forget if I've lent somebody money, or borrowed some too just a importantly, with the same for books and outdoor gear, but I can't remember where I've put things.

It seems a part of life's journey is working out which failings you can't change easily, but need to work around instead, and suddenly life becomes easier.

If a parent wasn't just the same I'd think I was uniquely afflicted. ;-)
Post edited at 17:52

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.