UKC

Elements / Apple raw plugin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 craig h 19 May 2017
I'm scratching my head as I seem to have run out of options.

I edit my raw photos in PS Elements 13, this has never been an issue until I bought a Canon G7. It requires a newer update of raw from Adobe.

No hassle I though and downloaded the new plugin. Fairly new to Apple computers (MacBook Pro) but can not for some reason get the plug in download to work in any way. I do seem to struggle with downloads in general to the Mac, but usually get to them to work after a bit of Google / Youtube, but this has me stumped.

Any suggestions welcome, otherwise it may be time to upgrade Elements or go to the dark side of Lightroom!
In reply to craig h:
Don't have a Mac, but my guess is it is unconnected to that.
Elements 13 is quite an old version and I think that the raw plug in necessary for your G7 is either v8.7 or v9.6 (https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.htm... which is probably too advanced and not backwardly compatible with Elements 13.

If so you will need to either upgrade to a new version of Elements that is compatible with your raw plugin version necessary, go for an alternative product e.g. Lightroom (again it would have to be one of the more recent and at least LR 5.7 or 6.6 depending on what your plugin needs; see same table as above) or if you want to continue with E13 download and use the free DNG converter. See https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/adobe-dng-converter.html .

Hope that is of some use.
Edit: A check on adobe's website says E13 can support up to v9.0 plugin. Do you have mark 1 or 2 camera? If former your problem may lie elsewhere. If latter, it's not supported with 13 and you will need Elements 15 for that if your sticking with Elements.
Post edited at 12:08
OP craig h 20 May 2017
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Thanks for the reply, and makes sense. I have the mark 2, it's a pain not being able to open the raw images. Looks like an Elements upgrade or look at Lightroom again.
 MrRiley 20 May 2017
In reply to craig h:

Can you not convert your RAW files to .dng and still process in E13?
OP craig h 20 May 2017
In reply to MrRiley:

Not sure, but just downloaded the free trial of Elements 15 to make sure it works before I purchase it, works a treat.

It's been bugging me for a bit, but as I use the G7 as a back up camera / going on a stroll was living with just being able to edit jpegs's and save the raw files. Usually use the DSLR for most things.

However after a chance of a lifetime I wanted to edit the raw images, jpegs are ok, but once you get use to using raw there isn't really a 2nd choice.

Anyway this is why I want to be able to edit my raw files, I was within a couple of meters of a wild osprey 6 days running, as the G7 mkii only has a 8.8-36.8mm lens being close and a wee crop should result in a great image. These are all raw, but soon to be resolved https://www.flickr.com/photos/21913923@N03/albums/72157681982518160
 Fraser 20 May 2017
In reply to craig h:

Go to LR now, you'll never look back.
OP craig h 20 May 2017
In reply to Fraser:
Hmmmmmm, I've tried it very briefly once before and struggled - it was a brief attempt though. I should really give it another go as so many friends sing it's praises plus I see their images. Suppose you get use to what program you start with, but I'll give the 2 weeks free trial a go and play with some images I have already processed in Elements so I can compare them.
Post edited at 20:54
 Fraser 20 May 2017
In reply to craig h:

I used to use PS for editing then saw the light[room] after so many people, predominantly on here, recommended LR.
OP craig h 20 May 2017
In reply to Fraser:

I don't like being a sheep, but every now and then there is a reason why the flock is correct. Again many folk on here as well as other forums who use Lightroom. They all sing it's praises, ease of use and subtle changes.

I'll give it a go again once I've done what I need to do on Elements as I know how that works to a degree

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...