/ Councils are refusing to cremate Brady

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Trangia on 20 May 2017
and urging funeral directors not to accept a commission to dispose of the body.

Whilst I can understand people's revulsion, it doesn't alter the fact that there is a body that needs to be disposed of. From a purely public health angle doesn't the council in the area where he died have a duty to allow the body to be cremated or buried?

Any form of memorial service or scattering of ashes is a different matter, but the remains have to be dealt with, if necessarily in an unmarked grave in a secret location.

In the days when Capital Punishment was permitted in the UK I believe the person was buried immediately after the execution in an unmarked grave within the prison grounds.
wilkie14c - on 20 May 2017
In reply to Trangia:

it isn't ian brady anymore, it's simply a body. he should be cremated and ashes disposed of at sea covertly and with the minimum of fuss. brady thrived off the power he held and he always knew the ultimate power was to take his secrets with him. We should draw a line under this and move on (as much as the affected families can move on that is)
No fanfare media circus please, let's not give him that.
Andy Long - on 20 May 2017
In reply to Trangia:

>In the days when Capital Punishment was permitted in the UK I believe the person was buried immediately after the execution in an unmarked grave within the prison grounds.

Indeed, in a coffin filled with quicklime.
Trangia on 20 May 2017
In reply to wilkie14c:
> it isn't ian brady anymore, it's simply a body. he should be cremated and ashes disposed of at sea covertly and with the minimum of fuss. brady thrived off the power he held and he always knew the ultimate power was to take his secrets with him. We should draw a line under this and move on (as much as the affected families can move on that is) No fanfare media circus please, let's not give him that.

I can understand the aversion to normal cremation, because a lot of people would not like the thought of their loved ones being cremated in the same crematorium as Brady (unless the body is dumped in a pit and has petrol poured over it and set on fire, in the same way that the carcasses of foot and mouth cows were disposed of), that's why a secret burial in an unmarked grave or deep at sea in the same way that Bin Laden was, is probably better and less controversial.

Andy's quick lime option sounds very sensible.

I agree that there should be no press publicity.
Post edited at 16:37
Dauphin on 20 May 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Is this tabloid land? Councils can neither refuse to cremate nor urge funeral directors to refuse a commision. They have a statutory responsibility to safe disposal of remains and it's likely been done in secret somewhere already.

D
Trangia on 20 May 2017
Stichtplate on 20 May 2017
In reply to Trangia:

They could always stick him in the freezer until bonfire night. Give us the chance to celebrate properly.
Luke90 on 20 May 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Those stories don't quite match the way you characterised it, though. Only Glasgow council are quoted as refusing to allow his cremation in their area and it doesn't sound like anybody's even asking them to do that.

It does sound like they might be having trouble finding a funeral director that's willing to deal with him but that's hardly surprising. What business or person would want the risk of being involved in something so contentious without any upside. It's never been true that "all publicity is good publicity".

I'm sure that somebody will step up to deal with the disposal, after a bit of haggling to make sure it remains as quiet and private as possible.
Trangia on 20 May 2017
In reply to Luke90:

> Those stories don't quite match the way you characterised it, though. Only Glasgow council are quoted as refusing to allow his cremation in their area and it doesn't sound like anybody's even asking them to do that

Agreed. The wording in the links have changed since the OP when they were quoting "Councils" in the plural. The reference to a pre death request from him to have his ashes scattered on Saddleworth Moor has also now been withdrawn from press reports. As has been said by another poster this is now sounding like tabloid hype. Probably best to drop it now, his memory just isn't worth any further speculation.

Morty - on 20 May 2017
In reply to Trangia:

> Probably best to drop it now, his memory just isn't worth any further speculation.

This

Dave Perry - on 20 May 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Prison? Isn't this where murders were once buried?
Big Ger - on 20 May 2017
In reply to Trangia:

You read the Daily Star?!?!?!?!
captain paranoia - on 21 May 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

How quaint.

Let me introduce you to a thing called a 'search engine'...
gethin_allen on 21 May 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Won't someone just cremate the body, sweep up the ashes and throw them in the black bin. So long as there is no specified site for perverted people to consider a grave Who cares any more, it's just flesh and bones, whatever happens now isn't going to change the past and I can't see people clambering onto council rubbish tips to lay flowers.

Come to think about it, I could probably find a spare biohazard burn-bin in the lab and sort the job myself.
Jim C - on 22 May 2017
In reply to Trangia:

> The reference to a pre death request from him to have his ashes scattered on Saddleworth Moor has also now been withdrawn from press reports. As has been said by another poster this is now sounding like tabloid hype. Probably best to drop it now, his memory just isn't worth any further speculation.

All a bit odd, people were insisting that the authorities would not allow his ashes spread on Saddleworth moor, but there was never any request from Brady to do that( he wanted them sent to Scotland.

Fake news.

Luke90 on 22 May 2017
In reply to Jim C:

He loved attention and sought it by talking to tabloids. Seems entirely possible that he told one person he'd requested to be scattered on the moor and told a different story to somebody else. Though I'll give you that it's also possible the tabloids just made it up.
Baron Weasel - on 22 May 2017
In reply to Trangia:

All that's needed is a stack of pallets and a litre of petrol. Job done.
wilkie14c - on 22 May 2017
In reply to wilkie14c:

Just seen this story on the beeb:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39999839
An example of astounding stupidity

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.