UKC

Book reccomendation: avalanche awareness

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi Folks,

Just looking for a reccomendation. Two Alps trips this Summer and although I have decent knowledge of the obvious elements I'd like to do a bit of extra prep reading up.

Does anyone have any particular reccomendations- this is purely for climbing- I'm not skiing.

I did a search on the forums assuming there would be a topic but couldn't find any?

Advice appreciated.

Thanks
 J Whittaker 21 May 2017
In reply to Chris Huntington:
Have a look at "Staying alive in avalanche terrain" written by Bruce Goodlad, IFMGA British Mountain Guide. Summer should have pretty stable snow conditions though.

I think he also co runs Avalanche Geeks so you know he knows his stuff.
Post edited at 05:45
 k_os 21 May 2017
In reply to J Whittaker:

It's a Bruce, but it's Bruce Tremper. Really good book, very detailed, aimed mostly at skiers but avalanches don't really care who they hit... He also has a condensed version called Alpine Essentials.

Bruce Goodlad does however have a book called intro to alpine climbing, haven't read that but I found his intro to ski touring very useful and it had a section on avalanches.

Books like Freedom of the Hills covers avalanches but can't remember to what extent (it's a dense book though!) and my copy of it has disappeared since lending it out!

Hope that helps
 J Whittaker 21 May 2017
In reply to kos_os:

Getting my Bruces mixed up!
In reply to J Whittaker:

Thanks for the advice guys I'll go ahead and order a copy.
 Mountain Llama 21 May 2017
In reply to Chris Huntington:

Snow sense https://g.co/kgs/aMM60g 5th edition now, easy to read, broken down into understandably sections, read it every year prior to winter climbing!

HTH Davey

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...