UKC

Brimham - Vamoose - loose (very large) block?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Neil Williams 21 May 2017
Climbing at Brimham today we did Vamoose (Diff), and found that the top block on the right hand side of the chimney (facing the rock) is slightly loose and rocks a bit - as this is a huge block and it is a busy area this is rather concerning.

Has anyone noticed this before? If it's a concern, where can it be reported (other than here)?
 climbwhenready 21 May 2017
In reply to Neil Williams:

The NT might be interested to safeguard the public
 Offwidth 22 May 2017

Do you mean the whole top tier of the crag?
OP Neil Williams 22 May 2017
In reply to Offwidth:
Basically, yes. We didn't believe it at first!

The top block on the right hand side of the picture here. My belayer (at the top) noticed it when I braced against it to do the last move. And I saw it as well (and did the move very quickly as a result!)

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=66722#photos
Post edited at 08:30
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 22 May 2017

It looks pretty massive and like it is just sat on top of the cliff so unlikely to go anywhere.

Chris
In reply to Chris Craggs:

That was kind of our thought, but we also thought it worth asking here to see if those who know the route might think otherwise.
 Kid Spatula 22 May 2017

There's a block at Caley about that size that rocks. You still climb over it to do the route. It's so big that a climber is highly unlikely to pull it off unless they have Superman strength levels.
Removed User 22 May 2017
In reply to Kid Spatula:
Similar huge block on top of Great Buttress Arete at Wharncliffe. It gives me great pleasure not to mention it to would be suitors and watch them sh1t themselves when they pull over...
Post edited at 10:02
 Offwidth 22 May 2017
In reply to Removed User:

That GB one bit me... undercut jam underneath and reached over the top and pulled...ouch! My cam (unknowingly probably useless protection wise) may have saved my hand being a bit crushed.

The problem with Vamoose is more warning climbers so they don't wobble when standing on top and risk falling off... its a scramble to get up there (the back of the chimney) so you don't see so many tourists on top.
 danm 22 May 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

I nearly pitched off the top off Stanage because of a wobbly block once. Robin Hood Cave Innominate/Harding's Finish, stood on top and got tipped over just enough to fully shit myself.
 pog100 22 May 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

yes, it's dangerous in terms of protection moving too. Disconcerting to lean against.
In reply to pog100:
Cheers all for your views.

I've submitted an edit for the guidebook entry on UKC with a warning note about the wobbly block, I'll leave it up to the crag moderator if he sees it as appropriate to include or whether he wishes to reword, as I would just want to give a safety warning without it being actual beta!
Post edited at 22:49
 Brown 22 May 2017
In reply to climbwhenready:

I think one should be very careful suggesting things like that to the National Trust or other landowners as the resulting action can be drastic. Once things have been officially pointed out there can be a perception that something must be done.

The removal of a block in Ilkley Quarry by the council led to a significant worsening of conditions on a few routes.
ceri 23 May 2017
In reply to Brown:

yes: if they feel something must be done: given it is an SSSI, the safest thing would be to stop people getting up on top of the rocks. If this one is only accessible to "climbers" not "joe public" there's an easy answer...
A note in guides might be a better option, as a warning?
 jkarran 23 May 2017

Not sure where the route is but if it's the van sized block 20-30m right of Lovers' Leap it's been like that for decades. Really spooky when you walk out along it and the floor slowly sickeningly tilts out toward the void!
jk
OP Neil Williams 23 May 2017
In reply to jkarran:

No, not there, it's at Zebra Buttress. I suspect most likely it too has been like that for years, though.
In reply to ceri:
Yeah as I said I've submitted an edit of the UKC guidebook entry, though it's up to the mod whether it is included or not, it is sort-of a bit like beta.

To get to it from the main tourist bit requires two slightly scary (but not difficult) long steps, so I can't see tourists ending up on top of it, least of all kids who would have to jump.
Post edited at 13:13
 David Alcock 23 May 2017

> ... least of all kids who would have to jump.

You've not met my kids...

Toerag 23 May 2017

Stick a couple of wooden wedges under it to stop it wobbling.
In reply to Toerag:

..if I lived anywhere near it
 Timmd 23 May 2017
In reply to Toerag:

Stick a couple of rocks underneath?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...