UKC

Canyoning Advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SmokinGun 23 May 2017
Hi Guys, I'm new here. Not sure where best to post this as was surprised to see out of the massive list of forums there wasn't one for canyoning/gorge walking! Anyway, I did search before I posted and found a couple of people have had similar questions to me ie. where are some cool places to go canyoning, particularly in Wales. But I have a slightly more specific question, namely can anyone definitely, positively identify the river shown in the following video clip from a company called Snowdonia Adventure Activities:

youtube.com/watch?v=N9d1U9ka05g&

I have done a fair bit around South Wales in Waterfall Country with my 2 boys and am heading up to North Wales this weekend and looking for some new adventures. The river in the clip looks excellent. I don't really want/need a guide but did try contacting them as I wouldn't object to paying them for a first trip and then go back and do it on my own in future. But they haven't got back to my email or answered any of my phonecalls.....which is a strange way to run a business. And no...I wasn't trying to probe them for locations....genuinely was prepared to book with them.

Some customer reviews seem to suggest its near Maentwrog but it would be great if someone could tell me the actual name of the river and any other pertinent info before I start dragging my two boys and my girlfriend around on a wild goose chase looking for the perfect venue!

Look forward to hearing what you think and hopefully putting a pin on the map!
 Matt Schwarz 23 May 2017
In reply to SmokinGun:

not sure if its on private land, but i know a few people who have guided in it, and i think if you just rock up as a non commercial outing it isnt a problem, its on Afon Prysor - Trawsfynydd Gorge.
OP SmokinGun 23 May 2017
In reply to Matt Schwarz:

Really? This was my gut feeling too based on a few comments I've read elsewhere. But I wanted to hear from someone who actually recognized it. Cool, thanks for that.
OP SmokinGun 23 May 2017
In reply to Matt Schwarz:

My next question then, is regarding the truth behind claims this gorge is radioactive????? It presumably feeds INTO the reservoir that the old Magnox Nuke Station used for its cooling....so I'm a bit confused the radiation has travelled upstream??? I could understand if it was a river leading out of the reservoir?? Should I be in any way concerned before I lead my kids in there? I'm assuming the risk must be pretty low if they're allowing guided groups down there?
 Matt Schwarz 23 May 2017
In reply to SmokinGun:

judging my the number of people I know who've been in there multiple times radiation isnt a problem!
 starbug 23 May 2017
In reply to SmokinGun:

The Prysor flows into one end of the Trawsfynnydd reservior and out below the dam at the other.
The gorge in the video is Ceunant Llennyrch and the waterfall is Rhaeadr Du below
the dam. Yes it is the cooling water for the Magnox powerstation no it is not radio active
Parking can be difficult in the lane above the gorge please don't block the gates.
OP SmokinGun 23 May 2017
In reply to starbug:

Now it starts to make sense! Thank you. Do you have a Grid ref of where you think it is best to park?
Ultimately top or bottom of the run seems to make little difference in terms of convenience as either way there is going to be a walk involved at some point. Where would you suggest starbug?
 starbug 23 May 2017
In reply to SmokinGun:

Just sent you email via the UKC site
OP SmokinGun 23 May 2017
In reply to starbug:

Thanks buddy! That's some excellent info...I appreciate it...you saved me some valuable canyoning time ????

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...