UKC

Buxton, Burbage Edge and Tunnel.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Lusk 23 May 2017
Planning a walk...
Does anyone know if the old railway tunnel NNE of Burbage Edge is open to walk through?

Ta!
 deacondeacon 23 May 2017
In reply to Lusk:

Are you sure there's a tunnel there?
Do you mean up at the Woodhead pass?
Lusk 23 May 2017
In reply to deacondeacon:

You're worrying me now, I'm just perusing the 1:25,000 on line and it shows a dismantled railway disappearing into a hillside and coming out the other side, and there's a farm called 'Tunnel Farm'!

You can see part of the old railway when you're coming down to Buxton on the A54.

It's just West of Buxton.
 deacondeacon 23 May 2017
In reply to Lusk:

Is there another Burbage edge?
Because what I'd call Burbage edge is definitely not west of Buxton
 deacondeacon 23 May 2017
In reply to Lusk:
Ok just had a quick google and there's a village called Burbage where you're describing.
I imagine when mentioning Burbage edge on a climbing forum people are defo thinking of Burbage Edge just outside Sheffield
Sorry, I'm no help lol
Lusk 23 May 2017
In reply to CasWebb:
Cheers for that, I'd forgotten about that site.
It's my age.

Looks like I'm going over the top.
Post edited at 19:18
Lusk 23 May 2017
In reply to deacondeacon:

That's why I posted on Hillwalking Forum!
 L.A. 23 May 2017
In reply to Lusk:
Assuming your coming from Buxton theres a good path from the top of Bishops Lane (go past the enormous house and gardens on the left) It angles steeply up through some trees and drops you over to the mouth of the tunnel on the Erwood side.
Post edited at 19:53
Lusk 23 May 2017
In reply to L.A.:

Was planning parking up Macc side, but if there's a decent ale boozer in Burbage, I could start from there.
 John Gresty 24 May 2017
In reply to Lusk:

Last visited about three years ago. The tunnel entrance at the Errwood end is bricked up, but it has with a locked steel door for inspection purposes. I've no knowledge of the state of the entrance at the other end of the tunnel.

It is one of the checkpoints on the Joe Brown, have a good search round and you should be able to clue to the whereabouts of the next checkpoint.

John Gresty
 L.A. 24 May 2017
In reply to John Gresty:
Yes Joe Browns Numbers - 20 grid refs chipped out on bridges, walls, gates etc in the Goyt by Joe Brown in the 60`s to give a circular route. Can you imagine the outcry if that were done nowadays ?
Post edited at 09:04
 Wingnut 24 May 2017
In reply to L.A.:

Not just grid refs (one of which is wrong :, there's a couple that are distances and bearings as well. Did the circuit a couple of years ago, remember the tunnel well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...