UKC

Flying with a bouldering mat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Green Porridge 24 May 2017
Looking for advice from anyone who has flown with a bouldering mat: did you just check it in as "baggage" or as "sporting equipment"? It's obviously about the size and shape of a suitcase, but much lighter, and not breakable - almost the ideal flight luggage! Common sense would suggest just booking it as normal luggage, but airlines don't necessarily sign up to common sense, hence why I'm looking for people's experiences. If it makes any difference, I'm flying with Ryanair.

Cheers.
 dontfollowme 24 May 2017
In reply to Green Porridge:

You'll be fine with Ryanair. I flew with them in April and it just went in oversized. No extra charges.
 Trangia 24 May 2017

From your title I thought this was going to be a thread about a new fangled magic carpet...
In reply to dontfollowme:

Excellent, thanks for the advice. I suppose, like all of these things, it can be dependent on the actual member of staff who you get at the desk. It would seem to be the sensible thing though.
In reply to Trangia:

Ha! I don't think that would work very well, but I bet you could use one as a lilo...
 evansliam 25 May 2017

you could wrap it in cling film to disguise it and make it seem more suitcase like
 BedRock 25 May 2017

we've flown to Hong Kong and USA with bouldering mat as "suitcase". We wrapped it in clingfilm for one of the journeys, but didn't for the other. Nobody asked any questions - just remarked how light it was. Ours was also the perfect size - i.e. the maximum dimensions recommended for hold luggage.
 chalkyjim 26 May 2017

Don't tell them it's sports equipment they may try to charge. Just say it's a sleeping mat and it will go in the oversized section at no extra cost. I even gaffer taped 2 together once and that was fine.
 Robert Durran 26 May 2017

Not advisable. You'd be better off with one of those parachute things that people run and jump off hills with.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...