UKC

UKC not working in IE

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mark Kemball 24 May 2017
The site will not open in IE 11 (version 11.0.34). I get the following notice.

This page can’t be displayed

Turn on TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1, and TLS 1.2 in Advanced settings and try connecting to https://www.ukclimbing.com again. If this error persists, it is possible that this site uses an unsupported protocol or cipher suite such as RC4 (link for the details), which is not considered secure. Please contact your site administrator.

All good in Google Chrome...
 Mike-W-99 24 May 2017
In reply to Mark Kemball:
Works on my work laptop(ie11 11.0.96) and thats very locked down and through an intolerant proxy.
Post edited at 14:46
 BusyLizzie 24 May 2017

I have the same problem.

Looks OK here. IE 11.0.42

There's something dodgy going on if your browser doesn't have TLS turned on. How are you connecting to the internet too?
 balmybaldwin 24 May 2017

I've had a similar issue all day although I was getting messages that proxy wasn't responding - only on UKC all other sites were fine... and as you can see UKC is fine on my home laptop (firefox)
 kingholmesy 24 May 2017
I've had the same problem on my work computer all day (don't know what browser, but all other sites ok). It's fine on my wife's iPhone this evening.
Post edited at 20:36
 Skyfall 24 May 2017
In reply to kingholmesy:

Ditto
 malky_c 24 May 2017

Had this problem at work too. Actually got some work done today!
 Andy Nisbet 25 May 2017
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

> Does https://www.ukhillwalking.com work for you?

No, it doesn't
 malky_c 25 May 2017

Same problem yesterday. Using Safari at home, so hard to replicate just now.
 Paul16 25 May 2017

Yep, I have the same problem but only from work. Nothing has changed on the work network though.
 Ridge 25 May 2017
In reply to malky_c:

Strangely I can't get onto UKC using safari on the ipad, I get a 'unable to establish a secure connection to the server' message.
Andy Gamisou 25 May 2017

Stopped working on windows phone too (running W8).
 ianstevens 25 May 2017
In reply to malky_c:

> Had this problem at work too. Actually got some work done today!

me too
In reply to Ridge:

This will be due to Safari being an old version. Update to the latest iOS if you can.
 balmybaldwin 25 May 2017

Working for me... cheers
 digby 25 May 2017

> This will be due to Safari being an old version. Update to the latest iOS if you can.

My expensive Mac desktop is only 8 years old. It won't run the latest system.

Even cars last longer than that.
OP Mark Kemball 25 May 2017

Working now, thanks.
Bellie 25 May 2017
In reply to digby:

Agree. I cant upgrade any further, unless I do a full install of the latest OSX and my mac is only a few years old.

Now working on the mac. Many sites are becoming problematic though.
 malky_c 25 May 2017
All seems OK again now. Cheers
Post edited at 13:41
In reply to digby:

You could always install Chrome and use an up to date browser.
In reply to Bellie:

As above, use Chrome
 Ridge 25 May 2017

> This will be due to Safari being an old version. Update to the latest iOS if you can.

Thought that might be the case. The last iOS update mangled an app Mrs Ridge used a lot, so I try and avoid any iOS, Android or windows update unless absolutely necessary.
Bellie 25 May 2017

Not possible. It wont support 10.8.
In reply to Bellie:

You don't need the latest MacOS to install the latest Chrome: https://www.google.com/chrome/
In reply to Ridge:

> so I try and avoid any iOS, Android or windows update unless absolutely necessary.

That mentality didn't help the NHS very much recently
Bellie 25 May 2017

Minimum requirement is OSX 10.9.
 IPPurewater 25 May 2017

I have TLS1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 set on and it still does not work in IE11. I'm now using Firefox to access UKC.
In reply to Bellie:

So it is, sorry my bad. I'm quite shocked that it won't run on MacOS more than 4 years old tbh. It runs on Windows 7 and that was released in 2009.
 digby 26 May 2017

> You could always install Chrome and use an up to date browser.

The only thing I hate more than the sh**ey new Mac OSs and their Safaris (which I can run on my laptop), is Chrome.

It's infuriating that the Google homepage search box leaps upwards just as I start typing. My contempt for whoever at Google thought that was a good feature is all consuming.

In any case "This computer will no longer receive Google Chrome updates because Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8 are no longer supported."
In reply to digby:

> My contempt for whoever at Google thought that was a good feature is all consuming.

I would guess that they're trying to teach you to use the address bar to search instead of navigating to Google.com and searching there. The later being slower the client end and is 2 network requests instead of 1.

Steve Woollard 26 May 2017
I've been having the same problem intermittently over the last three days including this morning and I've got TLS 1.0, 1.1 & 1.2 all ticked

Also having the same problem on my Samsung phone running Android
Post edited at 11:53
 digby 26 May 2017

> I would guess that they're trying to teach you to use the address bar to search instead of navigating to Google.com and searching there. The later being slower the client end and is 2 network requests instead of 1.

That indeed is the reason. It's still moronic. And I LIKE to have the google page as the home page. And I PREFER to have a search box discrete from the address bar, and in the MIDDLE where I can see it and get to it easily. I hate any interaction that causes an unwanted shift of focus. It's poor design.

It's as misplaced a didactic notion as Safari changing the menu bar shortcut for 'bookmark this page' to 'add to reader'. And not providing a new alternative button for bookmarking.

Spare me the overpaid sunsoaked thinkings of silicon valley supergeeks.
In reply to Steve Woollard:

Should be sorted now, including the Android phone.
 Monk 26 May 2017

It works again! I've not been able to get to ukc on my phone for a couple of days.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...