UKC

Should I pay a Italian parking fine?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 George Fisher 25 May 2017
I've received a parking fine from my holiday last August. Aparantly I entered a 'limited traffic area' without authorisation. What this is I have no idea, maybe a bus lane or permit holders area, who knows, I don't remember it being clear to me.

I've missed the early settlement date to pay 107 euros, now it's 131 if i pay in the next month. After that it doesn't say what happens.

I've already had 45euros taken by the rental company for the admin of handing my details over.

Do I just ignore it until it goes away or pay up?
Rigid Raider 25 May 2017
In reply to George Fisher:

Do you plan ever to return to Italy?
 HoffTTM 25 May 2017

Could get awkward next time at immigration when your name pops up with the Italian equivalent of a CCJ
 Timmd 25 May 2017

I'm tempted to ask what an Italian might do, but you probably should pay it.
 Toerag 25 May 2017
I have one for parking at Rifugio Gardecchia I think from the early 2000's. I forgot about then ignored it and successfully been back since more than once, however I've not flown into or out of the country (I've always driven in from elsewhere). I have flown into Sardinia with no problems though, not sure if that counts as being italian.
Post edited at 17:02
 Trangia 25 May 2017
In reply to HoffTTM:

> Could get awkward next time at immigration when your name pops up with the Italian equivalent of a CCJ

Particularly if the fine accumulates with each month of non payment......
 Dave Williams 25 May 2017

From my (extremely limited) experience, a similar debt incurred in Oslo - which I ignored despite numerous letters - was eventually transferred to a UK based debt collection agency. By that stage, the original fine, equivalent to about £35, had ballooned to a rather eye-watering £420.

You could always hope that the Italians aren't as doggedly tenacious as the Norwegians.
andrew breckill 25 May 2017
In reply to Dave Williams:

Which i hope you didnt pay.
 goatee 25 May 2017

I recently went into my bank to pay a parking fine I received while on a trip to Germany. Came back out and had a parking ticket on my car. Bollocks
OP George Fisher 25 May 2017

Thanks. I'm going to pay it as I'm a big scaredy man. (Law abiding traveller).

wbo 25 May 2017
In reply to andrew breckill: why's that then. I pay my parking tickets

Pilo 25 May 2017

Ha Bloody fool Italians and French police are always giving stupid fines for this and that. Mostly just picking on foreigners so Racist also! I got fined 3 times in 2 weeks just because of English plates. F them don't ever pay that!
In reply to Pilo:

Nationalist, perhaps. Racist, no.

T.
Removed User 25 May 2017
Wait till the 8th of June at least. A good stout Brexit should put an end to any worries. Theresa will tell 'em to put it on the bill. In fact it could be the first entry into the Brexit good news thread not posted by an Iron Lady botherer like Postman Pat/Simon4
Post edited at 22:11
 Pilo 25 May 2017
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Italian cops can't tell the difference between a North European and a South European as we all look the same? We are all white. So you are right, if I'd been a English black guy with dreadlocks and Italian plates I would never have been stopped for doing the same things on the road as everybody else? Just the wrong number plates. Nationalist not racist. Italian police could never be racist, could they? Otherwise how could all those nice African girls stand by the road so openly.
 yorkshire_lad2 26 May 2017
In reply to Pilo:

I thought I'd read something recently about a cross-border agreement on motoring fines etc, and found this, which you might like to read
https://www.theaa.com/european-breakdown-cover/driving-in-europe/driving-of...
 JR_NL 26 May 2017

It sounds like it was a rental, which means they go after the rental company if you don't pay up. The rental company will go after you in return, so I think paying up is a wise choice.

If it was your own car (non-Italy registered) it would be a different matter...
OP George Fisher 26 May 2017
In reply to JR_NL:

I paid up. I'm going to France in the morning to rack up some more fines.

Thanks folks

Martin W 26 May 2017

> Aparantly I entered a 'limited traffic area' without authorisation. What this is I have no idea, maybe a bus lane or permit holders area, who knows, I don't remember it being clear to me.

They have some odd ones in Italy. I recall in Turin there was a street that you weren't allowed to drive up if you had a Torino numberplate. (Registration numbers there are issued based on your official residence - or at least they were when I lived there. If you moved to a different area you had to re-register your car.) An Italian colleague of mine had somehow managed to keep his official residence at his parents' place down south, so happily drove up that street every day. It was explained to me why the restriction was in place but I can't recall it now. There was a fair sized sign explaining the restriction on use of the street, but it wasn't obvious at first glance that it wasn't just one of those impenetrably complicated parking restriction signs. These days they can probably police restrictions like this with an ANPR camera.
 seankenny 26 May 2017

Got one in Sicily, tried to pay it but couldn't, left it, got a letter, ignored it. Hired a car a year or so later in Italy no problem.
 LastBoyScout 26 May 2017

Got a parking ticket on camper van in Gold Coast, Australia - reason not given, but probably due to being parked facing the wrong way up the road, of all things.

Rental company said most likely targetted as in Queensland with New South Wales plates!

Paid up as soon as possible before it ramped up - can't remember if the rental company waived their admin fee, or not, but it wasn't much.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...