UKC

buying property in the peak

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
silo 25 May 2017
Hi,
I need some ideas.
I might be looking to buy a property in the peak as a holiday property(also as a rental)where would be a good spot that gives good value but also good access to the climbing?

thanks
 ThunderCat 25 May 2017
In reply to silo:

Is this Mountain Spirit?
 GrahamD 25 May 2017
In reply to silo:

Everywhere in the Peak has good access to climbing.
silo 25 May 2017
In reply to GrahamD:

some place are more picturesque more rent-able its not just about access
 planetmarshall 25 May 2017
In reply to silo:

Nope, sorry, Peak's full.
 Rob Parsons 25 May 2017
In reply to planetmarshall:

Yes - it's peak Peak.
 ThunderCat 25 May 2017
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Unless you know the local language.. 'peak speak '
In reply to silo:

Chatsworth's a fixer upper. Birchen is close by too.
Lusk 25 May 2017
In reply to silo:

> I might be looking to buy a property in the peak as a holiday property.

You won't be able to afford the massively inflated prices due to 2nd home buyers.
In reply to silo:

Pretty well everywhere gives good access to climbing, and good access to the surrounding cities for work etc.
The Peak isn't homogeneous though. I live between Calver and Froggatt. Just got back from bouldering at Froggatt, and can drive into the ClimbingWorks in about 20 minutes, which is great. However this is the S32 postcode which has an average house price of £427,000 according to Zoopla. There are certainly nice cottages in Places like Stoney and over toward Monyash for reasonable prices but you've got to be prepared for doer uppers.
Worth looking on the outskirts of Buxton, and then just anywhere as far as possible from a rail station, which tend to drive the price up.
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

B*gger!
I was trying to be helpful and didn't realise it was Re-badged Mountain Spirit with a made up profile.
Nice Landy in the photo though!
silo 26 May 2017
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Paul ,I have been left a property and just I want some where nearer to the climbing .
 wilkesley 26 May 2017
In reply to silo:

I lived in Tideswell for10 yrs (left in 1998). There are several smaller properties there, but have no idea of current prices. Local shops and good community. Close to most local crags.
 smallclimber 27 May 2017
In reply to silo:

We used to have a cottage in Hathersage for weekends. Walk to stanage plantation and close to most popular crags. Good pubs and eating choices. Also when we moved oversees it sold easily. After 9 years away we are visiting again for the first time this summer. Now with our two kids and staying in Castleton for a few days. Looking forward to showing them Some of our old haunts, and maybe finding some scrambling on low boulders for them. We won't have ropes (only ever manage a few indoor days a year now) but the kids do enjoy climbing on boulders so any suggestions. They are 5 and 6.
silo 28 May 2017
In reply to smallclimber:

Hi would go to the roaches lower there are some easy boulders to climb on and a great to play in the woods for kids
 Michael Gordon 29 May 2017
In reply to silo:

I guess it says something about this forum that I initially read this as "belaying properly in the peak"
 GrahamD 30 May 2017
In reply to silo:

> some place are more picturesque more rent-able its not just about access

I agree. Because climbing access is good from anywhere in the Peak that shouldn't be a criterium for buying

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...