UKC

Dartmoor wild camping/climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Simon Pelly 26 May 2017
Hi Folks,

Looking for some advice on where it might be good to take my kids (9yr and 2yr) "wild" camping on Dartmoor.

Ideally this would be well positioned (short distance walk) to some easy introductory climbing for them also.

And if not too contentious, access via the Landy would be fun too

Thanks

Simon...
 tonanf 26 May 2017
In reply to Simon Pelly:

A few years ago I camped just near the lay by below Hayton. You have to pitch at dusk and pack at dawn probably but I was with my 12 year old. We woke up surrounded by a herd of ponies. There was a foal feeding, one ponies poked it's head right in the tent. It was amazing place to sleep.
In reply to Simon Pelly:
Hi Simon

Hound Tor is a personal favourite for climbing. Fun, easy trad and loads of bouldering. On a weekend, I have seen guide led groups set up topropes on the main routes which is a bit annoying - they're mostly very accommodating and will let you climb the routes if you ask.

Regarding camping, check this map out... http://www.dartmoor.gov.uk/visiting/vi-enjoyingdartmoor/camping/camping-map

Also, most of the car parks have signs saying 'no overnight parking' - this refers to motorhomes and car campers though. If you're bivying/wild camping away from the car, you'll be fine. If you bump into a park ranger, let them know what you're doing and they'll keep and eye out for your car - last time we were there the rangers were super helpful.

Have fun!

Edit: You can find free pdf topos and other information on http://www.southdevonmc.org.uk/devonclimbing
Post edited at 17:02
 Robin Woodward 26 May 2017
In reply to Simon Pelly:

Sheeps Tor is a good one for first time top-roping (short and easy to setup).

Luckey Tor is a nice place to camp in the woods.

stuartf 26 May 2017
In reply to Simon Pelly:

We just spent a night up on honeybag tor with our 18 month old. There's a couple of nice spots around the summit. It's a fairly short walk from the road so not too bad carrying gear. Can go climbing at bonehill, or not too far to hound tor.
 bouldery bits 26 May 2017
In reply to stuartf:

Honeybag is a great recommendation IMHO.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...