UKC

Argentiere hut-getting there without lifts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Roberttaylor 27 May 2017
I would use the Lognan lift but it isn't operational till the end of my holiday.

If you have walked from Argentiere to the Argentiere hut, how long did it take you?

Robert
 Luke01 27 May 2017
In reply to Roberttaylor:

I seem to remember it taking a few hours.
 jon 27 May 2017

Just a thought... you'll have to take food up with you too as, at a guess, the hut probably won't be gardiened if the lift is closed.
OP Roberttaylor 27 May 2017
In reply to jon:

Cheers, I was aware of this and will take up food for a few days if I go.
 rocksol 27 May 2017

I always say to myself for any walk "it's as far as it is, no more no less and will take as long as it does, no more no less" Simplistic but true for any individual, so assuming you know the way just set off. Up to Lognan has most vertical rise, after that its maybe 1K slightly uphill and then downhill onto glacier Flat all the way to the hut which is in sight all the time, until climb up morraine to refuge.
When younger (1970,80s) we never got lifts as we had no money, but it's good fitness training Allow 4 hrs dawdling
I've taken my kids up from valley to Winter quarters in Couvercle and it took about 5 hours for an 11yo carrying all food and most importantly drink
 jon 27 May 2017

I was thinking more about the extra weight making a difference to your timing than the risk of you going hungry!
Lusk 27 May 2017

Depends on how fit you are!
The second time I did Mont Blanc, I walked up to the Plan without rucksack (mate took it up on cable car), in about 45 mins, I was what I considered myself well fit at the time.
However, I got totally burnt off by some German geezer, with the biggest pack you've ever seen, going at least twice my speed, legs going like pistons. Amazing!
OP Roberttaylor 27 May 2017
In reply to rocksol:
Thanks, that's a shorter walk than I'd thought. Mainly I wanted to get a feel for if it was something we could do after a morning of cragging.
Post edited at 19:12
 mattdennies 28 May 2017

I've walked up to Lognan before and it was a long, hot, steep slog up a what is a ski run in the winter. Probably took about 2 hours. It wasn't fun but not too long.
 pneame 28 May 2017

A little over an hour from the Argentiere campsite (there's a path at the back of the campsite) to Lognan - then 3-4 hours to the hut. But carrying almost nothing.
As I recall - it was a while ago.
 Rick Graham 28 May 2017
In reply to pneame:

Not bad memory.

The AC guide gives 1.5 hours to Lognan , and around 5 hours overall.

Done it 4 times but the last time (1996) the moraine seemed pretty awkward, depends on the year, I guess.

OP Roberttaylor 29 May 2017

Cheers all. Helpful as always.

R
 pass and peak 05 Jun 2017

Walked up to the Argentiere hut on May 9th this year with heavy(ish) packs, took around 7 1/2 hrs, but the snow line was about 200m below the Logan station so slowed us a bit. Just walked up the ski runs from the cable station down in the valley, took about 2hrs to Logan then another hr to Glacier, but like I say in snow! Once on the Glacier stick to the RH side if looking up, or left bank if looking in direction of flow, until near the hut then cut across, this misses most of the crevasse! At the time only winter refuge underneath was open, but its clean and tidy with plenty of bedding! Drop toilet was in good nick as well!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...