UKC

Via Ferrata Les Deux Alpes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
tanberry08 28 May 2017
Hell,

Has anyone done any Via Ferrata in Les Deux Alpes and if so can you please recommend a guide?

Also how was the route?

Thank you....
 Paul at work 28 May 2017
In reply to tanberry08:

Yes we did them a couple of years ago. I'm sure that they were in a free booklet from the tourist information.
 John Kelly 28 May 2017
In reply to tanberry08:
via ferrata Les Perrons (VF4B)
Easy but quite long

Via Ferrate De La Pisse (VF1A)
Steep in parts, possible wet from waterfall

Both worth doing

Guide - Via ferrata in French alps -Richard miller
Post edited at 21:30
 kenr 28 May 2017

I like VF Les Perrons very much, try to do it once a year.
It's one of the few Via Ferrata routes in France that allows so much of the climbing to be done with hands and feet directly on the rock, rather than grasping or stepping on fixed steel hardware or cable. The rock is gneiss, a favorite of mine for interesting thoughtful climbing.

I've done the whole route "free", using the cable and fixed hardware only for protection, not aid. I felt the hardest "free" moves directly on rock were around Euro 6b difficulty grade - (most of the sequences are much easier).

Of course using a normal Via Ferrata kit, it's dangerous to actually fall, so I was using a special Skylotec Skyrider VF kit. But it you hire a guide, then presumably they could make it safe for you to fall while climbing close to your limit "free" directly on rock. (better if you warn them first).

Last time I brought Sharon and used a short rope to belay her. She enjoyed many moves directly on rock, but also grabbed the cable for aid whenever she pleased.

The other big advantage of VF Les Perrons is that if you climb it in summer season (July-August) you do not need to walk _down_ to reach the bottom of the route -- because you can ride the mechanical lift from L2A down to Venosc.

Ken
Post edited at 23:59

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...