UKC

Bouldering around Cambridge area?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Juhnu85 28 May 2017
Would anyone be able to guide me to the closest outdoor bouldering locations from Cambridge? I seem to be unable to find any information and was wondering if there were any places.
 mattrm 28 May 2017
In reply to Juhnu85:

Nothing nearby.

Probably the nearest good place is the Peak District. Which is I guess 2.5 to 3 hours away? You could also try Southern Sandstone, but I'd guess that getting round London will take even longer. Thankfully the Peak District is probably one of the best bouldering areas in the country, so while you will have a bit of a drive, you'll have some excellent bouldering at the other end.
 sbc23 28 May 2017
In reply to Juhnu85:

There are a couple of grotty bridges, but probably not worth the bother.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/map/?q=CAMBRIDGESHIRE&x=0.125&y=...

You are best heading for the eastern side of the Peak - 2h30 or the Roaches which is pretty quick via the A52 - 2h40.
Removed User 28 May 2017
Juhnu85 28 May 2017
In reply to Juhnu85:

Thanks, ill be heading to Peak District for a weekend at some point (was there already before). This was more for an evenings outing.
 Shani 28 May 2017
In reply to mattrm:

You need the Whipplesnaith guide. And a headtorch.
 Si dH 29 May 2017
In reply to Juhnu85:
Afraid as others have said there is nowhere sensible for an evening. When I was a student there we just did day trips to the peak every week (sometimes twice!) Wye valley and dorset are also feasible in a day.
The only local stuff are railway bridges (ie brick edges) and cherry hinton chalk pit...

Edit: the Churnet would also be slightly closer than the peak I guess, probably about 2 - 2.5 hours. Back when I lived in Cam I didn't know of it, so haven't done the trip. The Eastern peak takes about 2.5 hrs.
Post edited at 10:03
 SDM 29 May 2017
In reply to Juhnu85:

There isn't really anywhere for an evening hit unless you are willing to drive a fair way.

Heading North, these are probably your best options:

If you are really keen, you could make it to Forest Rock, Windmill Hill and Cademan Woods in about 1hr40. Forest Rock is good for hard bouldering but there isn't a lot that is worthwhile below 7A. The other two are fairly minor venues.

Most of the bridges that people climb on are rubbish and not worth climbing on, Slawston bridge might actually be worth a trip and is about 1hr15 away.

Your next closest are probably Pleasley Vale Anston Stones and Roche Abbey which are probably just under 2 hours. They are all good but access at Anston and Roche Abbey is sensitive so read the access advice and be on your best behaviour.

Or you could head South to the Southern sandstone. You might get there in an hour and a half but it might take a lot longer if the traffic isn't on your side.
Juhnu85 29 May 2017
Thanks everyone for your input! I have an additional question about the Peak as I have only been there once (a couple of months back). Which areas would you recommend for bouldering around the end of June as I guess it can get quite hot? I myself climb around the 7A - 7B+ range and my girlfriend climbs around 6A-6B.
 GrahamD 30 May 2017
In reply to Juhnu85:

We always used to go to Southern Sandstone on summer evenings. Quite a bit closer than the Peak.
 Dave Garnett 30 May 2017
In reply to sbc23:

> There are a couple of grotty bridges, but probably not worth the bother.

Fen Ditton brick edges not good enough for you?! It's not so bad if the alternative is another evening at the Kelsey Kerridge or a 2+ hour drive...

Juhnu85 30 May 2017
In reply to GrahamD:

Are there any online topos for the southern sandstone? Which guidebook would you recommend?
 GrahamD 30 May 2017
In reply to Juhnu85:

I don't know about online topos - sorry. I had an old CC guide but there is now also a new rockfax.
 Si dH 30 May 2017
In reply to SDM:

> There isn't really anywhere for an evening hit unless you are willing to drive a fair way.Heading North, these are probably your best options:If you are really keen, you could make it to Forest Rock, Windmill Hill and Cademan Woods in about 1hr40. Forest Rock is good for hard bouldering but there isn't a lot that is worthwhile below 7A. The other two are fairly minor venues.Most of the bridges that people climb on are rubbish and not worth climbing on, Slawston bridge might actually be worth a trip and is about 1hr15 away.Your next closest are probably Pleasley Vale Anston Stones and Roche Abbey which are probably just under 2 hours. They are all good but access at Anston and Roche Abbey is sensitive so read the access advice and be on your best behaviour.Or you could head South to the Southern sandstone. You might get there in an hour and a half but it might take a lot longer if the traffic isn't on your side.

Good shout also. I was thinking back to my own experience, but Forest Rock and Anston were undeveloped or unreported at the time.

To OP re Peak District, I'd suggest stanage plantation for a first visit, there is loads at both your grade ranges, conditions are fairly reliable and it's easy tocget to. Then get a guidebook and branch out.
 Flashy 30 May 2017
In reply to Juhnu85: It's worth looking at the closest grit crags to Cambridge as you can knock 30 mins off the journey by going further south, like Black Rocks. It makes the Peak a bit more doable in a (summer) evening.

Also, there are crags in the Welsh borders that are further away but because the roads are fast for so much of the journey they are effectively as close as the Peak. An example would be Craig Rhiwarth, but we never considered bouldering so couldn't comment on anything but pitched climbing there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...