UKC

Recommend me a torque wrench?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kemics 29 May 2017
Yes! Unlock your inner tool nerd... be free!

I'd like to buy a 3/8th inch torque wrench. There seems to be an infinite range of them, with different pros and cons. Some apparently are fiddly to use, some not very specific.

Could anyone recommend me an accurate torque wrench which doesnt require an engineering degree to use..

Ideally for around £50 .. but maybe that's not realistic?

open to any advice ..
In reply to Kemics:

I've got draper in 3/8 and 1/2 and they both feel a bit cheap. I've also got a teng tools one in 1/2 inch and it's really high quality in comparison to the draper ones. Not sure if teng do one in 3/8 though.
 wilkie14c 29 May 2017
In reply to Kemics:

i've had a teng 1/2" drive for 10+ years and although not often used, it's always there oozing quality when i need it. NM scale on one side, FT LBS the other, degrees of rotation scale on the head, lock nut on the adjuster. simple but works. The only thing with any torque wrench is to remember to slacken off after use to avoid strain on the spring.
 wilkie14c 29 May 2017
In reply to The Freewheelin’ Jim182:

teng simuli post! all hail the teng, the poor mans snap-on
OP Kemics 29 May 2017
In reply to The Freewheelin’ Jim182:

teng was specifically the one which i've heard was hard to operate without instruction manual (is that person an idiot?)

teng do a 3/8th so thats the front runner now
 wilkie14c 29 May 2017
In reply to Kemics:

quite. i've just read an average review for one on screwfix, their problem being the angular gauge on the head only shows angles in degrees of 15deg. 15-30-45 etc. i've never known a stretch bolt to ever require less than 45 deg increments anyway?!
oo i've just thought, i've needed mine for some low torque settings now and then and mine doesn't go as low as i needed. you need a different wrench for low torque settings so bear in mind if buying this for that specific application, for use on bikes mainly for example.
 Timmd 29 May 2017
In reply to Kemics:
What kind of situation do you need it for? I bought a Park Tools one with one of those metal bar type pointers which let you zero it in when it's not having strain put through it for accuracy's sake, you can just bend a little bit until it's central.

You could say I'm an 'analogue' kind of person, I like to see what's happening and be able to alter it.
Post edited at 20:45
 Mooncat 29 May 2017
In reply to Kemics:

Another vote for Teng, I've got 1/2 and 1/4 inch Teng and 3/8 inch Halfords, I'd say the Halfords is just as good as the Teng so another decent alternative, I think a bit over your budget but worth it.
 Timmd 29 May 2017
In reply to Kemics:
Beam torque wrenches are the kind I'm on about, a quick read around on the internet suggests they don't go out of calibration like 'clicker' ones can. It seems they're old school but consistently accurate if you buy a decent one.

Mine is now discontinued, but there's loads around for £50 or under it seems.
Post edited at 21:05
 Timmd 29 May 2017
In reply to Kemics:
It seems like clicker types need to be stored at zero and need periodical calibration, and are more straight forward and convenient to use than beam types - in generally being smaller, but if you treat a beam type well and can get a clear view of what you're doing, beam types are good because of them not needing recalibrating every so often.

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=213283
Post edited at 21:12
OP Kemics 29 May 2017
Thanks guys! I've gone for a teng impulsively (as I needed to qualify for amazon free shipping and I'm a sucker for their schemes)

Slightly annoyingly the teng only goes down to 20nm. It's for motorbike mechanics but a few bits are in the 10-20range so might have to buy a smaller one for that. However, nothing wrong with more tools!

One day I shall have a shed or garage and a work bench with a vice...ahh a man can dream
 jonnie3430 29 May 2017
In reply to Kemics:

Can anyone tell me how to cheaply calibrate a torque wrench? I've seen the diy videos , is there any stores that do it for you?
 Timmd 29 May 2017
In reply to Kemics:

This is what a bean torque wrench looks like.

https://www.miataturbo.net/attachments/general-miata-chat-9/139724d14315834...

Hope to help.
 Timmd 29 May 2017
In reply to Kemics:
> Thanks guys! I've gone for a teng impulsively (as I needed to qualify for amazon free shipping and I'm a sucker for their schemes)Slightly annoyingly the teng only goes down to 20nm. It's for motorbike mechanics but a few bits are in the 10-20range so might have to buy a smaller one for that. However, nothing wrong with more tools! One day I shall have a shed or garage and a work bench with a vice...ahh a man can dream

I've just experienced unexpected pleasure in going though my box of good condition tools to sus out my torque wrench. It's satisfying to do stuff and not make a pigs ear thanks to having good tools.
Post edited at 21:26
 BrendanO 30 May 2017
In reply to jonnie3430:

Only thing I've done is when a mate buys a torque wrench, use both on the same fasteners to see that they are similar.

You CAN do the maths and hang X kg off the end of them and work out the Nm torque, but that's too much like being back at school.

My last torque wrench came from Lidl, used for motorbikes. For anything really low, I now just estimate by hand.
 Dave 88 30 May 2017
In reply to Kemics:

In reply to Kemics:

I searched everywhere for a torque wrench that was friendly to motorbikes, i.e. Very low to about 80nm. Unfortunately they don't seem to exist so I went with a 20-110 and just guess the stuff below that. Now I think about it, those low measurements are probably not the ones you want to be guessing! Oh well.

What bike you got?
OP Kemics 30 May 2017
In reply to Dave 88:

I think the park tool bicycle ones go lower, but they are quite pricey for doing up the odd bolt.

I've never used a torque wrench before and never had a problem just going by what "felt" about right. But doesn't mean it's been good practice!

Just bought a triump street triple, riding to Scotland in a couple weeks so want to do a bit of work to make sure it's ship shape

jkarran 30 May 2017
In reply to Mooncat:

> Another vote for Teng, I've got 1/2 and 1/4 inch Teng and 3/8 inch Halfords, I'd say the Halfords is just as good as the Teng so another decent alternative, I think a bit over your budget but worth it.

I've been told Teng manufacture Halfords own brand forged tools which doesn't seem unreasonable, the Halfords tools are always really nicely made. One of mine, the 1/2 I think is Draper and the 3/8 I can't remember, haven't seen it for years. Was never much impressed with either but they did their job of car building, for bikes or aircraft I'd get something nicer.
jk
 Mooncat 30 May 2017
In reply to jkarran:

I've heard this before but personally I doubt it, the Halfords feel very different to Teng, the ratchets on some of my Facom stuff feel very similar to Halfords, I've heard rumours that Halfords are Facom and without know for sure otherwise would go along with this.
 Dell 30 May 2017
In reply to Kemics:

I have a Sealey 3/8 model, goes from about 7 to 112nm. Does the job and was about £40 on Amazon a few years ago. I also have a 1/2 Lidl jobbie for bigger stuff.

As previously mentioned, it's the smaller stuff that you need to get right, small rocker cover and waterpump bolts will seriously ruin your day if they snap off, and it doesn't take a lot of extra torque to do so.
 Timmd 30 May 2017
In reply to Dave 88:
> In reply to Kemics: I searched everywhere for a torque wrench that was friendly to motorbikes, i.e. Very low to about 80nm. Unfortunately they don't seem to exist so I went with a 20-110 and just guess the stuff below that. Now I think about it, those low measurements are probably not the ones you want to be guessing! Oh well.What bike you got?

This Nieko one goes up to 80nm and is available on ebay.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neiko-03727A-4-Inch-Torque-Wrench/dp/B01LRHOHN0

It's a beam style one, they don't become inaccurate.
Post edited at 12:54

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...