UKC

Best Norway climbing areas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lex 02 Jun 2017
Hi all, I'll be finishing a job in northern Norway in 2 - 3 weeks. I'm going to stay in Norway for a week or so afterwards, climbing or walking. I was thinking of getting to Kvaloya (nr Tromso), or maybe Narvik for Stetind (been to the Lofoten a couple of times so want somewhere new). Then it struck me I could go anywhere in Norway where there is a good forecast.
So recommendations please for climbing areas good for VS / HVS ish, where it should be easy to find partners and where there is good for walking nearby if climbing isn't possible for one reason or another. I'd like a good geographical spread to cover weather patterns. And I'm flying home from Oslo, eventually...
In the past I've emailed the local climbing clubs, and they've always been very helpful. Just not sure yet where the local will be! Cheers, Lex
 markk 02 Jun 2017
In reply to lex:

Nissedal is very nice and has some popular routes where you should stand a chance of picking up a partner:

https://www.rockfax.com/climbing-guides/rockfax-app/nissedal/
http://www.climb.dk/Nissedalen2.html
OP lex 03 Jun 2017
In reply to markk:

Hi Mark, that sounds good for my requirements, and nicely in the south. Thanks for the suggestion.
Any others elsewhere?
 Mr. Lee 03 Jun 2017
In reply to lex:

Romsdal, Hemsedal, Innerdalen, and Nissedal are all worth considering for multipitch trad. Kvaløya you might need to check the snow situation on the higher crags. I know there was still too much snow the other week. Stetind an option as you say. Uskedalen another excellent multipitch option. Again you might need to check on the snow as the West gets more snow during winter. Probably ok by a couple of weeks. Bohuslän only a few hours from Oslo and world class crack climbing. Jotunheimen has loads of long, technically easy ridges, although there will still be snow around. Typically lots of scrambling with a few pitches of actual climbing.

I live in Oslo and currently taking a break from work. I'd be up for something like Nissedal and neighbouring Fyresdal if you could get yourself to Oslo first. We could take my car, although I'm not able to drive at the moment (headaches rather driving offences!). Leading around HVS/E1 currently so in the same ballpark.
OP lex 03 Jun 2017
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Hi Lee, many thanks for your reply and offer. I'll send you a private message before I go offshore and we can chat further. Cheers, Lex

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...