UKC

Grade 3 Scramble link ups Lakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LJJ77 02 Jun 2017
I am heading up the Lakes and staying in the Langdale area for the first time in September and we are planning to do as many grade 3 scrambles or even grade 2 if they are well worth it

I was hoping for a bit of advice on classic routes and the best way to link up as many as possible in a day

Thanks
 Mark Eddy 02 Jun 2017
In reply to LJJ77:

The Cicerone scrambles guide to the South Lakes will be worth getting hold of. There's plenty of good scrambling in Langdale and some good link days.
Stickle ghyll - Tarn crag - Pavey Ark - Harrison Stickle is a good starting point.
 C Witter 02 Jun 2017
In reply to LJJ77:

There's not much in the way of grade 3 scrambling link ups. Look at a book and you'll see that. But, there's plenty of opportunity for enchainments if you broaden your horizons.

There are a few lines of attack on the Langdale Pikes:

1. starting on the Scout Crags, up through White Ghyll to Tarn Crag, Pavey and maybe Harrison Stickle (can be done at around VDiff to Severe all the way)
2. starting up Stickle Gill (1), to Tarn Crag Gill (1/2) to Tarn Crag (1 to VDiff) , Pavey (1 or Mod/Diff up) and the Harrison Stickle (2 and up).
3. starting up Dungeon Ghyll (1 lower, 2 higher) to... Harrison Stickle?
4. starting up Middlefell Buttress (or Raven Crag scramble) then... Harrison Stickle?
5. starting up Gimmer then Harrison Stickle... then?
6. starting up Troughton Beck (grade 1), then Pike O'Stickle (grade 2 to VDiff), then Harrison Stickle, perhaps Pavey.

Otherwise, you could head up Bowfell Buttress (mostly Diff to VDiff with one awkward polished crack at maybe Severe) or you could head out toward Esk Hause, Great End and then Gable or Scafell - but, mostly walking, and I'm not sure where you'd get your scrambling in.

None of those enchainments will allow you to stick at grade 2-3 scrambling all the way. If you want to scramble all day at those grades, you're probably better in Wales or Scotland.

C Witter 03 Jun 2017
In reply to C Witter:

Oops, Upper Dungeon Ghyll is grade 1 lower and grade 3 upper, although I think you can dodge bits. Typo before.
OP LJJ77 03 Jun 2017
In reply to C Witter:

Thanks for the suggestions guys I have been given an older cicerone guide now with that and your suggestions I can put together a plan but any other thoughts would be welcome
 Chris the Tall 03 Jun 2017
In reply to C Witter:

Possibly a daft question, but how much of Dungeon ghyll is on wet rock ? I'm pretty confident scrambling, but not done much gully stuff
 nickcj 04 Jun 2017
In reply to LJJ77:

Plenty to go at around Coniston and Dow Crag if you don't mind travelling out of Langdale.

The Bell - Low Water Beck - Brim Fell Slabs is a good link up.

If you want more climbing then Ordinary C - Easy Terrace - Giants Crawl is a classic day out

Pinnacle Ridge on St. Sunday Crag is probably the best grade 3 in the area, if a little bit short. You could link it with the scramble left of Eagle Crag, then up to Nethermost Pike and a descent of Striding Edge.
 LBrown 04 Jun 2017
In reply to C Witter:

I think that bowfell walk could have scrambling at ill crag or maybe esk buttress (dow crag) on the way to scafell..
 UKC Forums 05 Jun 2017
This thread was started in the ROCKTALK forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

HILLTALK
A general forum for topics relating to hillwalking. Discuss walks you have been on, great scrambles, the best ridges, Munro-bagging and longer multi-day walks.
More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
In reply to nickcj:

> Pinnacle Ridge on St. Sunday Crag is probably the best grade 3 in the area,

You can't have done many Grade 3 scrambles in the Lake District if that's what you think.

In reply to LJJ77:

One perfectly logical high quality Grade 3 link up in Langdale would be The Groove on Tarn Crag followed South Central Buttress on Harrison Stickle and then West Ridge on Pike Of Stickle.

Other than that, if you don't mind a big walk in you could start with Main Face on Pike Of Stickle (better and longer than the West Ridge route) then do South Central Buttress on Harrison Stickle and The Groove on Tarn Crag.
In reply to Chris the Tall:

lakeland ghyll scrambles are quite a different experience to 'normal' scrambling. I find them considerably more difficult and socks over boots/shoes are pretty essential at times. I'd always take a pair of old socks along. Dungeon Ghyll upper has a couple of pretty awkward pitches, I found the one up the chossy gully tricky. it is very green and loose. above this the chockstone in the stream required getting very wet. It is however very atmospheric.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...