UKC

Bob Marley - Live At The Quiet Night Club 'Super intimate gig'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 02 Jun 2017

This was recorded at the end of a tour in 1975 in a small club. Right from the start you can hear that he's knackered in his singing (halfway through his voice cracks), but that he's still putting everything into it, too. It's professionally recorded with great sound quality, and you can hear the warmth and interplay between the band and a the audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INAv0jmTmC8&list=RDINAv0jmTmC8#t=16

Of all the unofficial Bob Marley recordings I've heard on youtube this is among the best, Have a listen for an hour while tidying up.
 Big Ger 03 Jun 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Thanks for sharing Timmd, I'll check it out when I get home.
 Doug 03 Jun 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Cette vidéo n'est pas disponible.

OP Timmd 03 Jun 2017
In reply to Doug:
It's available/shareable in the second link under Bob Marley Jah Joy & Rainbows.

It's a bootleg/semi official release on CD and record, but I'm very tempted to buy it at 3 times the cost of some CD albums.

Seems odd that the person who uploaded it onto youtube doesn't let it be shared when it's a semi official bootleg which has been released under 3 titles already?
Post edited at 13:47
 Doug 03 Jun 2017
In reply to Timmd:

The 2nd URL works, many thanks
 Doug 03 Jun 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Just finished listening, reminded me of a BBC concert on Top Gear which I used to have on a cassette and promoted me to search for it on the web - I think it was the same as youtube.com/watch?v=9W7R99G4BWY& so something else to listen to later.
OP Timmd 03 Jun 2017
In reply to Doug:
I like the drumming at the start. Have you heard the album Talking Blues?

youtube.com/watch?v=kA7yqQfPgWk&

It's got a nice version of Bend Down Low on which Bob Marley is playing the flute. It's quite interesting, I think some of the militancy of the group and determination comes across in the songs and interviews, as well as it being nice musically.

He talks a little bit about their sound, and that of other artists, and about making it accessible.
Post edited at 18:48
 felt 03 Jun 2017
In reply to Timmd:

> I like the drumming at the start.

It's great. Only crashes the cymbal right at the end, unusual exercise in restraint.
OP Timmd 03 Jun 2017
In reply to felt:
I think Bob Marley's band were great like that, they had a great feel for what fitted & the effect they were aiming for. Aston 'Family Man' Barrett is probably my favourite bassist, he's played with Burning Spear and Stevie Wonder among others, as well as The Wailers.

youtube.com/watch?v=W4_pOrmfPBU&

This a nice short video with Carlton Barrett the drummer's style being described.
Post edited at 20:11
OP Timmd 03 Jun 2017
In reply to felt:

This is a good one played five months after Bob Marley died,, it's a Nyabinghi instrumental version of the song Running Away, there's a trumpet in place of the vocals, and the trumpet and saxophone play some beautiful jazz. The drums are clear to hear all the way through.

youtube.com/watch?v=AcZPez9cLUo&
OP Timmd 17 Jun 2017
In reply to Doug:
I found it interesting to find about about their 'street' side which accompanied their spiritual music. It seems to be that they felt like they were doing gods work in spreading their music, as well as representing their people by talking about their situation, but if anybody got in their way by ripping them off or seemed to have done, they'd go as far as beating them up to teach them a lesson, & to show anybody else they weren't to be ripped off too perhaps. Quite a potent mixture combined with how determined they had to be to create an escape from living in poverty in Jamaica (where they had to learn to fight) by using their music. Anybody who ripped them off would have been doing something against them on more than one level.
Post edited at 18:32
OP Timmd 18 Jun 2017
In reply to Timmd:
It's true, Mr/Miss Disliker, if you read into it, that's how they were. Lee Perry got beaten up and the video tape of it happening was sent to his wife, and another guy got tied to a chair and had his story recorded, and if he contradicted himself they rewound the tape and showed him he was caught out, before hitting him a bit.

I don't condone it, but it's true...
Post edited at 09:00
 Bob Kemp 18 Jun 2017
In reply to Timmd:

What's your source(s) for this? I know there was a big fall-out between the Wailers and Perry, supposedly over some royalties Scratch didn't pay them, but I've never found any details of what happened. I once heard a claim that they kidnapped him, but I've never seen anything documenting this. That might be a confusion with Peter Tosh's death.

Jamaica's music seen was, and still is, prone to violence. Several Wailers died in shootings, and Bob himself was shot. Rough place.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...