UKC

Wild camping location recommendations for first timers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hatbat 03 Jun 2017
Hi all,

I'm looking for recommendations for an area for our first wild camping trip that's within 3.5 hours drive of Bristol? We'll be going in the next few weeks. Usually we walk in the Brecons/Dartmoor, but loved our trip to Snowdonia too. We're late 30's, both fit and we'll have a dog with us.

We had been planning to go to the Elan valley as I had some fab long walks there last summer, but feedback is that it's quite a tricky place to wild camp due to tussocks/bracken, so we're rethinking about where we should go.

Thanks
Pip
 Mal Grey 03 Jun 2017
In reply to Hatbat:

Black Mountain? (West of Brecon, not Black Mountains nr Abergavenny)

The southern flanks have some likely looking spots on the track above Glyntawe, or you could head for either of the Llyns beneath the northern/eastern slopes. Llyn y Fan Fawr likely to be quieter than Fach.

If the forecast is good, you could even camp on the summit of Fan Brycheiniog, its fairly flat.

Moley 03 Jun 2017
In reply to Hatbat:

Probably a better idea than the Élan for a first time wild camp, which can be a bit depressing if you get it wrong and spots can be hard to find unless you know the area well.

The Black mountain area in the western Beacons is an excellent suggestion, good parking, good walking and not too hard to find a suitable site for the night + water. I would second that idea.
Hatbat 03 Jun 2017
In reply to Moley:

Thanks both for your suggestions. I hadn't realised but I have had a lot of time in the Brecons/Black Mountains/Black Mountain over the winter and so would rather be somewhere else! I've only been to Dartmoor once this year so that would still be ok.

Thanks all.
In reply to Hatbat:

A couple of suggestions for Snowdonia

a) by the summit obelisk on Mynydd Tal-y-mignedd on the Nantlle Ridge - an excellent high camp
b) the area between Cnicht (south) & Moel Meirch (north), near one of many Lakes (Llyn Edno, Llyn Llagi)
c) the head of Cwm Pennant/Afon Dwyfor, northwest of Moel Lefn, west of Beddgelert forest
d) from roadhead parking north end of Llyn Eigiau; either south into Cwm Eigiau, or westerly round to Dulyn reservoir (Dulyn bothy or nice camping down the valley (north east from reservoir)
e) around Ffynnon Lloer, north from eastern end of Llyn Ogwen along the A5

And a host of other places to be explored too!
 Dr.S at work 04 Jun 2017
In reply to buxtoncoffeelover:

Good suggestions, worth looking in the valley above Aber falls, loads of nice spots.
 TobyA 04 Jun 2017
In reply to Hatbat:
Technically there are very few places you can legally camp in England and Wales without first getting the land owner's permission. Dartmoor you can though, so why not start there? I've bivvied high in the Brecon Beacons in the past, that's nice and that was while my partner was at a party in Bristol, so easy access for you.
Post edited at 09:29
 olddirtydoggy 04 Jun 2017
In reply to Hatbat:

I'll second just above Aber falls in Wales, we did that this year. Sprinkling tarn in the lakes is another popular spot.
Removed User 04 Jun 2017

> c) the head of Cwm Pennant/Afon Dwyfor, northwest of Moel Lefn, west of Beddgelert forestd)

Cae Amos bothy is now open. Useful blot hole if the weather craps out.
Hatbat 04 Jun 2017

Thanks for those great suggestions.

a) We walked the eastern end of the Nantille Ridge last year, and found it quite tough, not sure I'd want to do it with a pack, although I looked at the Mynydd Tal-y-mignedd summit and wanted to go but had to turn back with the dog. What would your recommended approach be? Anywhere safe to park a campervan?

In reply to Hatbat:

It's definitely not a stroll in the park; rather a proper mountain hike - maybe something to work up to.
I start from Rhyd-Ddu & haul up Y Garn, Drws-y-coed, Trum y Ddysgl & on to Tal-y-mignedd. Take it easy, & that is day one! Next morning, without packs, nip out & back along the rest of the ridge. Collect packs & then descend south then southeast into head of Cwm Pennant, over Bwlch-y-Ddwy-elor, & descend thru Beddgelert Forest back to Rhyd-Ddu. You can have an extra night out among the old mining buildings in Cwm Dwyfor (reclaimed by nature & creating flat garden terraces ideal for a tent) to reduce the mileage.
There's a pub (& campsite?) in Rhyd-Ddu where you might arrange parking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...