UKC

"underestimate the stupidity of a very tiny minority of some "

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 French Erick 04 Jun 2017
Is there anything we can, should do? Is there a moral duty to do this?
Personally I don't think so. Some of us will die an untimely death. By accident, by malevolence or by our own mistakes.
How could we think that everything has to be managed, chewed and filtered for the "easily influenced youth"? Is it even something we want?
I obviously disagree but cannot easily put into words why.
I am ready to risk the death of a few people who overstretch themselves to have occasionally an AH's achievement, but mostly a life in which free will (of sorts) can be had. That one of these people could be my children does not escape me but I'd rather they have some freedom rather than some odd censorship.
I think I see olddirtydoggy's point on the Honnold post but I probably disagree with him.
What do you all think.
Removed User 04 Jun 2017
In reply to French Erick:

I think I have not the faintest idea what you are on about.
 john arran 04 Jun 2017

People see the world through their own prism, and it sometimes isn't easy to put yourselves in the head of someone very different. I dread to think what unintended consequences might result from any attempt to straitjacket people into homogeneous behavioural patters. I'm with you on this.
abseil 04 Jun 2017
In reply to Removed Userena sharples:

> I think I have not the faintest idea what you are on about.

I wanted to say that, Ena, but didn't.

I read the OP about 5 times and think I got it in the end.... just about.
 Robert Durran 04 Jun 2017
In reply to Removed Userena sharples:

> I think I have not the faintest idea what you are on about.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=665203&v=1 Sunday 12.32
 John Kelly 04 Jun 2017

I've not shown my kids the pics - my 12 year old male has a stunted view of danger
 Greasy Prusiks 04 Jun 2017

I don't understand the argument around AH. To my mind the difference between soloing and leading is similar to the difference between leading and top roping. The least risky way to climb almost any route is to top rope it but still we lead routes because we are seeking out an experience. Maybe an feeling of freedom, or excitement, or terror, or achievement, or escape or some combination of the above. When we lead we gain more of an experience but it costs us more risk.

I'd imagine AH is leaving the rope behind for exactly the same reason that we don't do all our climbing on a top rope. It's no different from any dangerous trad route really.

Nope, don't understand. However, if I tried to say in French whatever it is you're trying to say in English I'd make considerably less sense, so that does rather remove any grounds I have for criticism.

T.
Removed User 05 Jun 2017
In reply to Robert Durran:

oh, ok. If I read the OP right, he seems to be warning about the danger of trying that at home without realising what you might be getting into. Not sure their is any cure for that.
OP French Erick 05 Jun 2017

To be fair, I was attempting to clarify things for myself...and I am male and French! A lot of disadvantages here. It is a rather complex issue I am grappling with.

My point, I think, is that I don't want to limit anyone doing things (as long as they are not obviously directly bad to others) even if it means some people may emulate them and fail to do so safely. The copycats have some brain and should think for themselves. If they can't see that well....

Each at our own level should practice the sports/hobbies we want without being the victims of censorship.
I do appreciate that being judged by others is inevitable as they are entitled to air their opinions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...