UKC

Britain's first 9b

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 zv 04 Jun 2017
Just read on the BMC facebook page that Steve Mac has just climbed his long standing project, weighing it at 9b.

Absolutely amazing, from what I've heard he didn't think it would be possible and then has been falling near the top for close to two years.

I am not sure how long has Steve spent on the road but I believe it's around 7-8 years? Absolutely inspirational.

A lesson to us mere mortals that sometimes quit on a climb after a few days of trying.

Well done, Steve!
In reply to zmv:

Great news - presumably we'll hear in due course, but what is (was) this project?

jcm
 1poundSOCKS 04 Jun 2017
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

> Great news - presumably we'll hear in due course, but what is (was) this project?

It links Raindogs into Bat route I think. I was lucky enough to be there and see it finished off at last.
 Mike Hewitt 04 Jun 2017

Very inspiring, thanks Steve.
Post edited at 23:39
 john arran 05 Jun 2017
In reply to zmv:

Brilliant. I'm very pleased for him. Must be an amazing feeling of accomplishment at last.
Well done Ste.
 bouldery bits 05 Jun 2017
In reply to zmv:

Awesome.
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:
> It links Raindogs into Bat route I think. I was lucky enough to be there and see it finished off at last.

it involves a "new" 8c+ section linking Rainshadow and Bat Route, after the crux of Rainshadow. It's mentioned here:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item/68071/steve_mcclure_climbs_batman_9a
Post edited at 08:03
 stp 05 Jun 2017
 Michael Hood 05 Jun 2017
In reply to thebigfriendlymoose: Seems like that bit of rock's getting a bit crowded with all these routes - anyone got a clear topo of where they all go?

Stopsy 05 Jun 2017
In reply to zmv:

Amazing effort, I saw the BMC facebook post. A little more info, but still not much from Climber : https://climber.co.uk/news/latest-news/stop-press-steve-mcclure-redpoints-m...

Legend.
 Tyler 05 Jun 2017
In reply to stp:

> Amazing. Great effort Steve.The 9b category is truly elite one, so a proper world class achievement.

It is isn't it, only a few (two?) people in the world have climbed a harder grade. The incredible thing for me is that when Steve did Mutation only a couple (one?) person and climbed harder then, he's been tracking the top grade for nearly 20 years. Phenomenal.

Tyler 05 Jun 2017
In reply to Michael Hood:

> Seems like that bit of rock's getting a bit crowded with all these routes - anyone got a clear topo of where they all go?

There's quite a bit of rock there, above the bulges between Rainshadow and Bat Route there is only one route (as there is at ground level) but Rainshadow moves left at the bulge and Bat Route moves a bit right. There are also some linkups between the different starts and finishes but you are essentially taking about three lines some distance apart.

Edit: having re-read what I've written, I think you're right, it probably does need a topo to explain!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...