UKC

Trying out tents

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RX-78 05 Jun 2017
Hi, I am planning on buying a new tent, I have visited Decathlon and had a look at the quickhiker ultralight 4, but I have a few other tents on my short list, anyone know where I could see various tents pitched? Or is it ok to order a tent, pitch it (inside or in garden) and return if don't like? would that count as using it? Especially thinking of the vango halo 300 but concerned about porch size. The ultralight gets good reviews but seems to be a few comments about condensation issues.

Thanks,

Kieran
 Trangia 05 Jun 2017
In reply to RX-78:

Seems reasonable, maybe ask them?
 nathan79 05 Jun 2017
In reply to RX-78:

Go Outdoors normally have tent display sections. My local one has them pitched inside and an in an outside area. They always have a few Vango models
 deepsoup 05 Jun 2017
In reply to RX-78:
Have you tried asking them to pitch it in the shop? (Or to help/allow you to do it?)

I've not tried it and don't know what they're like down your way, but the staff at my local Decathlon are very helpful.

FWIW Whilst tent shopping a couple of years back I narrowed my choice down to a Quickhiker Ultralight 2 or a Wild Country Zephyros 2. Bought the Decathlon tent in the end and haven't regretted it, it's very good.
 kathrync 05 Jun 2017
In reply to RX-78:

Don't know about Decathlon, but certainly Tiso and Cotswold have both pitched tents in the shop for me so I can see them. They don't usually let you do it yourself because they want to be sure that all the pegs and poles go back in the correct bags, but when I bought my new tent about a month ago a nice chap spent over an hour with me putting tents up and taking them down again.
 Timmd 05 Jun 2017
In reply to RX-78:

I don't know whereabouts you are, but when I bought my (reliable) Quasar in Outside in Hathersage they pitched it inside the shop for me to crawl inside of and have a general ponder over.
OP RX-78 05 Jun 2017
In reply to deepsoup:

went to decathlon at the weekend as asked them to pitch the ultralight 4, it was a bit manic in there and they got the poles in wrong so it couldn't be pitched right and then manager came along and needed them elsewhere, so I had to hold down one pole end whilst my wife had a quick look in, so i didn't get a feel for it, if spending £240 on it then I will probably go back again whilst it is quieter.
 Andy Hardy 05 Jun 2017
In reply to RX-78:

Alpkit used to let you rent the tent for a weekend, with the money back if you bought. I did this (although didn't buy said tent)
 Pkrynicki1984 05 Jun 2017
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Alpkit have most their tents pitched at the Hathersage shop.
 Andy Hardy 05 Jun 2017
In reply to Pkrynicki1984:

But Rx-78 according to their profile, lives in London.
 Pkrynicki1984 05 Jun 2017
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Would love a trip to the peak then i'd imagine!

or maybe its a bit of a jaunt to look at tents.
In reply to RX-78:

Quite a few companies run tent shows throughout the summer

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tent+shows
 Trangia 05 Jun 2017
In reply to RX-78:

Nothing to do with your OP, but I'm curious about your user name?

Are you from Rye (or Hastings)? Are you from a fishing family?
OP RX-78 05 Jun 2017
Afraid not, an rx78 is one of the giant mobile suits in japanese gundam series!
OP RX-78 05 Jun 2017
In reply to captain paranoia:

Thanks!
 Trangia 05 Jun 2017
In reply to RX-78:

Ah! RX is the registration letters for fishing boats registered in Rye. The Hastings fishing fleet is also Rye registered hence they are all RX followed by a number.
 BrendanO 05 Jun 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Blacks, and prob most camping shops, are great at putting up tents for you. As you suggest, you need to pick a quiet time, or offer to come back next day. Thats where shops trump internet. If your shop wont help, buy elsewhere. If they do help, try to buy from them.

Good luck!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...