UKC

Horse's hoof for fire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Toerag 05 Jun 2017
So, according to survival books one can use a chunk of horse's hoof fungus to transport fire around because it smoulders really well. Has anyone on here done this? Can you use a lump straight off the tree, or do you have to dry it out first?
 Trangia 05 Jun 2017
In reply to Toerag:

A Bushman's Candle will do just as well and you don't have to kill any horses or chop their feet off, which I'm sure the horses will appreciate

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/SARCOCAULON/Sarcocaulon_crassicaule/Sarcoc...
In reply to Toerag:

Traditionally used as a tinder. The older growth is often dry anyway, and you'd probably take a piece from a dead growth.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fomes_fomentarius

The chemical tests mentioned on the examples that Otzi was found to be carrying were for iron pyrites, used with flint to create a spark. But then Otzi was a veritable walking chemistry lab, with copper ore/smelting residues in his hair.

I've not used it as a match, but I have played with king alfred's cakes, which also smoulder nicely.
Moley 05 Jun 2017
In reply to Toerag:

Never knew about fire starting with it, but know it as amadou in fishing, it is used to absorb the wet from waterlogged dry flies (best explanation I can give).
A fungus of many uses, learn something every day.
cb294 05 Jun 2017
In reply to Toerag:

Yes, done that many years ago as a teenager, using dry bits of a felled tree, and it works (after a fashion...).

Better to use as tinder, Ötzi style (even though he, like Siberian or Sami nomads in more recent times, more likely used it as diarrhea medicine).

The best use is I have seen is to make fire starters by soaking the fungi with molten wax from candle stubs. Works an absolute treat!

CB
 Billhook 05 Jun 2017
In reply to Toerag:
Vastly overrated in my unhumble opinion. Even in the worst of our wet weather I've always been able to light a fire using whatever dry stuff is around without having to resort to fancy 'bushcraft' stuff.

Baron Weasel 06 Jun 2017
In reply to Toerag:

I've seen some lit that a friend had, it had been dried and burned with very low ember. Quite impressive!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...