UKC

End of season stats

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave 05 Jun 2017
Recently concluded the ski season, I think my best ever.

56 days with skis on (plus a few days X-country track skiing) of which 5 days were using lifts
42700m of ascent with skins
Didn't ski in the Alps for the first time in 27 years
Three skimo races
One expedition (Alaska)
One long dreamt-of summit, Store Jaegervasstind in Lyngen, Norway
Skiied with old friends, my wife, my daughter, and new skiing friends

Anybody else keep a record of their season?

HeMa 05 Jun 2017
In reply to Dave:

> Anybody else keep a record of their season?

Yes, for the 2nd year in a row... I have skied ZERO days . And my lovely Syborgs have yet to put to the test... Have logged a few hundred meters of WI4 or so ice in them though...

Oh well, ma´ybe next year I get to ski...
OP Dave 05 Jun 2017
In reply to HeMa:

In contrast, my climbing has suffered... 0m of ice this winter, perhaps 25m last winter.
 TobyA 05 Jun 2017
 Doug 06 Jun 2017
In reply to Dave:

Easy question to answer this year, for the first time in more than thirty years I haven't skied at all this winter/spring. There are reasons (Dad was ill, then died, my partner has also been ill) and hopefully next winter will be back to normal or better.

But thinking back, I think my all time record was 50 something, a winter which came early & lingered late in Scotland, and which I finished with 2 weeks in the Canadian Rockies. Have rarely managed more than 25 days per winter since I moved to Paris
 JuneBob 06 Jun 2017
In reply to Dave:

I love stats!

I'm renovating a house, so skiing and particularly skimo racing took a back seat till next season. My primary goal next season is to ski all the races in the Norwegian championship calendar. My second goal is to get ahead of a Norwegian in one of the races!

Stats from Strava:
19 ski days
20798m ascent with skins/boot pack
Norway only
7 coulouirs - highlights: the 1300m continuous boot pack on Flotatind being a new pb, and an article in Friflyt (online)
1 successful handbrake turn in Vassfjellet (local ski hill) car park
Struggled a bit while my ski pals skied the north coulouir of Stetind last weekend while I was visiting family in Holland.

On to next season!
 JuneBob 06 Jun 2017
In reply to HeMa:

My Syborgs are currently in for repair. The ratchet broke again. I don't really find them solid enough for big back country outings involving boot packing. They're great for racing though!
 LastBoyScout 06 Jun 2017
In reply to Dave:

> Anybody else keep a record of their season?

No need this year - 0 days.

Hopefully, I'll get back to it when the kids are a bit bigger...

Chris the Tall 06 Jun 2017
In reply to Dave:

12 days, 255 miles, 84,000m vertical and max speed of 55mph

What the stats don't say is that I had my best ski holiday ever ! 4 resorts in a fortnight in Canada, everything from groomed motorways to deep powder shutes

dsh 06 Jun 2017
In reply to Dave:

35 Days,
6 States/Provinces,
328 IPAs drunk on chairlifts*.
First cliff drop.
Lots of fun had.

*No official record of this stat.
 ed woods 06 Jun 2017
In reply to Dave:

Only 14 days this year, after 32 last year, but good trips to Norway, Austria, Chamonix and a day here in Scotland.

690km & 75,000m vert, all riding lifts. Roll on next winter
 TobyA 06 Jun 2017
In reply to ed woods:

> 75,000m vert, all riding lifts.

Somehow vert doesn't really sound like the right term for sitting on a lift. Surely 75,000 metres of descent makes more sense?

ed woods 07 Jun 2017
In reply to TobyA:

Read it as an abbreviation for 'vertical descent'. it's vertical whether it's up or down to me, the context makes it clear

It's also a little suspect as Strava elevation stats are pretty dubious....
 Hannah V 07 Jun 2017
In reply to Dave:

63 ski tours this season, most recently after work last night with another 1200m of skinning. Some of them involve only 600m of skinning, several have involved at least 2000m+!
None of them have been lift-assisted
Probably time to pack away the skis soon!
 Chris the Tall 07 Jun 2017
In reply to ed woods:

> It's also a little suspect as Strava elevation stats are pretty dubious....

My bunch all use the ski tracks app, but not surprisingly the elevation stats for a day when we have all stuck together still vary by as much as 10%

It does however distinguish between skiing distance and lift distance, which is fine as long as you aren't hiking up or (shudder at the thought) taking a lift downhill. Nonetheless I'm always a bit surprised by how little distance I've covered compared to spending a similar amount of time on a bike. So the most I did last year was 26 miles of skiing (45 miles in total) with a total moving time of 4:40 - it always feels like I'm travelling much further
paraffin 08 Jun 2017
In reply to Dave:

61 days mostly touring
 ed woods 09 Jun 2017
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Interesting, Ski Tracks sounds fancy. I just use a Garmin watch. Most curious about the elevation over distance, but yes you're right - when in a resort the ground covered/time is v similar to what I do on my bike. As is the inflation in elevation stats (vs watch) when I upload to Strava!
 ed woods 09 Jun 2017
In reply to Hannah V:

Great! Nice site too. I was frustrated to not tour properly this year... largely down to a (relatively) poor season here in Scotland.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...