UKC

I need climber wisdom!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
FiveFiveSix 05 Jun 2017
What's up guys and girls.

I am not a climber, however I am a BASE jumper looking for new cliffs. The BASE community has a very small guide on jumpable cliffs in the UK. But I'm positive there is some untapped potential! I could be wrong but I thought it would be worth 10mins to ask.. you never know. And who better to ask than you guys! I'm probably not the only jumper to have done this but searching has given me nothing.

So what crags are there that are >200ft and vertical that don't go straight into the sea? I realise I may get some answers that have been jumped before.. I'm also prepared for the very real possibility that none exist that haven't already been jumped but hey. While I'm sat here with a cup of tea I've lost nothing by asking.

Thanks in advance
 ModerateMatt 05 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:

Could you give examples of cliffs already jumped then folk can give alternatives?
Deadeye 05 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:

Is "into the sea" a deal breaker?

Because Old Man of Hoy would be, how would you say, "way cool".
Deadeye 05 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:

I've always wanted to climb one of the Tryfan routes and parapente off Adam (or Eve). I know it's not BASE but, hey, I'm not suicidal.

Regrarding your original question. Twll Mawr may be what you seek.

FiveFiveSix 05 Jun 2017

Cheddar gorge and beachy head are 2 examples. Also ravens crag in the Lakes..

Edit. Old man of hoy has been jumped by Tim emmet. But it involves hard climbing.. and I'm not crazy like you climbers
Post edited at 20:40
 Monk 05 Jun 2017
In reply to Deadeye:

Old Man of hoy has been done, hasn't it? Tim Emmet and someone else? Leo?
FiveFiveSix 05 Jun 2017
Is twll mawr in Llanberis? I know 1 jumper has successfully jumped a slate crag in llanberis.

Fakey Rocks 05 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:
Cheddar gorge would be a very close call? It is steeply banked at the bottom in the possible areas, which may help? but you would need a very early jump to avoid traffic on the rd., and goats.
Malham Cove... If you could avoid trees and shrubs below, is around 300ft, been done/Dunne b4? (Hehe! he did lots of famous Malham 1st ascents, not descents though. )
Post edited at 20:52
 Pilo 05 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:

You should the 'big three' of Yorkshire, Malham, Kilnsey and Gordale. All in one day.
Deadeye 05 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:

I've got it!

If it's not been done, your fame lies in...

Gaping Gill
FiveFiveSix 05 Jun 2017
Just checked.. Malham cove has been jumped. Didn't know about it though so will have to give it a go!

Cheddar is jumped quite regularly. (Well, regularly for BASE)

I'm not doing it for the fame don't be silly.... I'm doing it for the money and bitches.

Fakey Rocks 05 Jun 2017
In reply to Deadeye:

You could just wingsuit off into one of the passages there couldn't you?
In reply to Rock to Fakey:

Malham Cove... If you could avoid trees and shrubs below, is around 300ft, been done/Dunne b4? (Hehe! he did lots of famous Malham 1st ascents, not descents though.)

I've seen Malham base-jumped twice, presumably it's happened more times than that.

FiveFiveSix 05 Jun 2017
Wow Gaping Gill.. would have to recce it and there's probably an obvious reason why it's not jumpable.. but would be insane haha

jkarran 05 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:

They're probably just under 200ft but the limestone cliffs of Pembroke are there or thereabouts, some with sandy beach landings, some rock ledges. Stackpole, St Govans, Huntsman's Leap.

Gordale Scar, Malham Cove and Kilnsey crag in the dales are probably all big enough with passable landing areas though only Malham has easy non-technical access to the edge of the steepness.

Bits of Tremadog are high enough and steep enough but you'd have to escape the trees at the bottom to make a safe landing.

There are several faces that big, some near vertical in the Llanberis slate quarries. Landing zones beneath them would mainly be small and strewn with sharp boulders.
jk
 Fakey Rocks 05 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:

Why not wingsuit it down Cheddar Gorge instead?
How many bases / skydives u gotta do to qualify for a winger, cos i wanna get into it in about 10 or 15yrs maybe, when i realise i gotta retire from work / climbing, + my pension + old age aren't worth living for? It's expensive to get enough practice though, i should imagine!
 Fakey Rocks 05 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:
> Wow Gaping Gill.. would have to recce it and there's probably an obvious reason why it's not jumpable.. but would be insane haha

I think the access might well be steel caged, isn't it private- commercial, like the caves at cheddar + wookey hole?
Post edited at 21:14
 jkarran 05 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:

> Wow Gaping Gill.. would have to recce it and there's probably an obvious reason why it's not jumpable.. but would be insane haha

My guess: the river and the fact it's full of people, ropes and cables when it's not full of river compounded by a totally dark boulder-beach landing and the high likelihood of flying into the chamber wall in the darkness before you land. Then there's getting out again with your wing.
jk
FiveFiveSix 05 Jun 2017

I'm going to assume the Q's about wingsuit base are sarcastic? Haha.

Thanks for the replies though guys keep em coming! deffo some crags being mentioned that aren't in the BASE guide. I'm a goddamn pioneer I tell ya.
 johncook 05 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:

Plum Buttress in Chee Dale.
Windy buttress and Garage buttress at Stoney would possibly be a bit short but worth a try and there is a huge quarry (Goddards) across the road with a very steep, but loose overhanging wall, so not climbed much.
 Fakey Rocks 05 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:

Not sure, will try save enough for it to be an optional escape route when older, or just get into casual free solo's of stuff like El Cap, or anything near my limit, or way below it too.
 pencilled in 05 Jun 2017
A BASE jump from High Rock could endanger the already fragile access conditions with Longleat. Please think carefully about access before you choose a crag. Mountains should be fine, for example, with a few exceptions.

allarms 05 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:

I am only suggesting options worth looking into, I am in no way suggesting you should jump off these.

Raven Tor - Millers Dale
High Tor - Matlock
Goredale Scar
Kilnsey
Malham Cove - done before
Cheddar gorge - done before
Wintours Leap - Chepstow , if there was a gap in the trees?
The slate quarries at dinorwig have been done but there might be other jumps still to do.

I cant think of many mountain crags that remain vertical for long enough.

Maybe some sections of cloggy (Clogwyn Du'r Arddu) in Snowdonia.

My knowledge of the lakes and Scotland is poor maybe something there?

I am only suggesting options worth looking into I am in no way suggesting you should jump off these...
 allarms 05 Jun 2017
In reply to johncook:

Plum buttress is probably a good one!
FiveFiveSix 05 Jun 2017
In reply to allarms:

Don't worry. I would obviously not jump an object that couldn't be jumped! I am just looking for suggestions to investigate further from people who have knowledge about these crags and their locations.

I live by Chepstow... will have to have a ganders!
 daWalt 05 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:

sron ulladale -
carnmore -
I'm just naming big cliffs that are f*cking steep.......
I like the idea of a BASE "guide" - how do you grade these things?

Andy Hardy 05 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:

Do they have to be plum vertical? Would Gimmer Crag or Bowfell Butress do? Im thinking you'd have to jump out a fair way to clear the ledges lower down, unless wingsuit flying is counted as BASE jumping, in which case it'd be easy.

Further north the Orion or Brenva faces on Ben Nevis might do - same thing applies with the ledges though
FiveFiveSix 05 Jun 2017
In reply to daWalt:

We don't have grades like you guys. And it's so unregulated you basically either have a mentor who's willing to show you exits and tell you how hard the landing is etc or you take the leap on your own. Which is a dangerous game to play but it's how plenty have done it. Different heights need different gear/equipment selection but again, no grades just knowledge and word of mouth.
 Fakey Rocks 05 Jun 2017
In reply to pencilled in:
High Rock... Cheddar, access etc, very good point. It's been done b4, + no doubt some jumpers try to observe the legality of, what is permissible, others, eg from buildings, don't care. Cheddar is not allowed, + very good chance of being spotted, + reported, potentially upsetting access issues for climbers. Please avoid.
I didn't suggest it tho, but did suggest winging it, with tongue in cheek, as obviously impossible.

Post edited at 22:20
FiveFiveSix 05 Jun 2017
In reply to Andy Hardy:
Yeah maybe not plum vertical depending on how gnarly you are. I'm positive there are no wingsuit lines in the UK though guys. So we can stop mentioning them haha.
 petegunn 05 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:

Lake District
Scafell or Pillar Rock might be possible if you find the right take off spot. Gimmer crag?

With the chute already in your hand what's the lowest, safe (ish) height needed?
FiveFiveSix 05 Jun 2017
In reply to petegunn:

Lowest I've done personally is 170ft. I'd probably be willing to go down to 130 depending on the landing area and how much I valued my pelvis on that particular day. Some jumpers go down to 100ft but that really is the basement.
 jonnie3430 05 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:

> I'm positive there are no wingsuit lines in the UK though guys. So we can stop mentioning them haha.

Orion face, going down Observatory gully and then towards allt na mhullain had always interested me.

Carnmore, mentioned above.
Creag an dubh loch near lochnagar.
Shelter stone?
FiveFiveSix 05 Jun 2017
Does anyone have anymore info on Wintours leap? What's the base of the crag like? And I've read the GO wall is the largest and overhanging.. how high is this wall? Roughly. I'd obviously take a laser range finder to the top. But as an idea?

Misha 05 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:
GO Wall is approaching 90m high but it's densely wooded at the bottom so your clear drop height is a fair bit less. It's certainly steep though.

Have you looked at the Avon Gorge crags? You must be familiar with the bridge there...
 thomasadixon 05 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:

I've seen people going off the Avon Gorge (main wall). Seen them off the bridge too - sirens appeared there amazingly fast!
 Fakey Rocks 05 Jun 2017
In reply to thomasadixon:
Very busy rd at the bottom though, at all hrs, quite fast at quieter hrs too, and the river.
A wing suit flight was proposed last year, dropping from a plane, to go under the suspension bridge, but the council pulled the plug on it a few days b4.
Post edited at 23:26
 Kevster 05 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:

Maybe look up why wintour's leap is called wintour's leap. You're not the first, or the second. And they I guess are crazier too.
Avon has a few spots, brean down may have some broken cliffs but also has some height.
 Kevster 05 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:

Isle of white?
 BrendanO 05 Jun 2017

Someone already mentioned Sron Ulladale, which I think was the most overhanging something in some category or other. Big bit of rock.

I am sure when Emmet and Macleod were climbing there, that jumping off it was mentioned. And I don't think you would annoy too many people there either! Might be a bit of a trek though.
 Billhook 06 Jun 2017
In reply to Kevster:

Please tell me where this place is?
 Billhook 06 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:

Scotland is the place to go.

However, from memory I recall the main wall, a climb on Cwm Glas in Wales was/is 400' and is mostly overhanging.
FiveFiveSix 06 Jun 2017
In reply to Misha:

Yes I am familiar with the Clifton suspension bridge as are many other BASErs Avon gorge crags has been jumped a bunch by Tim Emmet I believe.. I don't think Wintours leap has been though.
 Hooo 06 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:

Wintours leap is high enough, but I don't recall seeing anywhere you'd be able to land.
Unless you're prepared to go into the river?

Andy Gamisou 06 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:

> Lowest I've done personally is 170ft. I'd probably be willing to go down to 130 depending on the landing area and how much I valued my pelvis on that particular day. Some jumpers go down to 100ft but that really is the basement.

So 20 foot crack is out? Bummer!
 Mark Kemball 06 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:

Cheddar has already been mentioned, but it would not be a first - a base jumper went past me when I was climbing Coronation Street (WW) (E1 5b) 12 years go!
 petellis 06 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:

I reckon you could wingsuit off Whitestone Cliffe to the bottom of the vale of York if you chose the correct bit. Its only a 60 metre cliff but its a long way up a steep slope from the valley floor if I remember correctly.

I also can't believe nobody has suggested Cloggy yet.
 olddirtydoggy 06 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:
High Tor at Matlock was on my mind but its been suggested.
This one has been asked before. Old thread here if its any use. https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=612576
In reply to FiveFiveSix:

What about Alum Pot?

It is a 100m deep open pothole in Yorkshire. I would be very surprised if anyone has base jumped this, but unlike GG, at least you have daylight.

You did ask!
 The Ivanator 06 Jun 2017
In reply to Dave Perry:

> Please tell me where this place is?

Wight behind you!
 Michael Gordon 06 Jun 2017
In reply to jonnie3430:

> Carnmore, mentioned above.
Creag an dubh loch near lochnagar.
Shelter stone?

All good-sounding suggestions. Sron Ulladale has been done I think (others mentioned it).
 petegunn 06 Jun 2017
In reply to MikeYouCanClimb:

Gets quite small lower down, plus there's a big rock bridge half way down, possible landing!?
 ModerateMatt 06 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:

I'd imagine there are lots of spots in Scotland over 150 ft that are jumpable.

Rannoch Wall
Garbh Choire on Breariach or one of the others are high and steep but a massive walk in.
Beinn Eighe or Liathach
Plenty of steep walls in Skye
 Chris Harris 06 Jun 2017
In reply to Michael Gordon:
> Sron Ulladale has been done I think (others mentioned it).

youtube.com/watch?v=l4FWt6s9I8Y&
Post edited at 14:00
 Trangia 06 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:

Beachy Head at low tide?
 Chris Harris 06 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:

What kind of vertical is there on An Sgurr on Eigg?

https://writesofway.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/p1010671.jpg

jkarran 06 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:

Buzzard's Roost in the Mournes and Fairhead up on the coast must both be contenders with plenty of height and steepness. No idea about the landings at Fairhead.

There are several cliffs on the Isle of man, Chasms, Spanish Head and Bradda with plenty of height and steepness but mostly only 5-10m wide sea level rock ledges or small/narrow cobble beaches for landings.
jk
FiveFiveSix 06 Jun 2017
So what are the tallest cliffs in Pembroke? That have a low tide beach landing area. Huntsmans leap looks interesting....

Max factor 06 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:

tallest cliffs in pembroke are about 50m into the sea/ boulder beach, and the ones onto the sand are not more than 40m at dead low tide. Wouldn't strike me as being big enough
 Cheese Monkey 06 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:

Henna
 Ciro 06 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:

I imagine lower sharpnose point would be a spectacular feature to jump off, and just about in your acceptable height range, although I think you'd need to climb back out - either by rock or by fixing a rope to ascend first.
 nb 06 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:

Get yourself an old rig, set yourself up with a mate in a boat, shove a bit of polystyrene down the front of your jacket, wait for a calm day and go for the sea landings. There'll be a lot more potential, and you won't break an ankle!
 Billhook 06 Jun 2017
In reply to nb:

You're right. You won';t get a broken ankle. But it sounds like a recipe for drowning.
 TobyA 06 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:

> Cheddar gorge and beachy head are 2 examples.

What's that brilliant book from the early 90s about someone learning to BASE jump (and really the early history of BASE in the UK)? I had it back then and then lent it to someone who never returned it.

Anyway, the opening chapter is Cheddar, and if I remember correctly, out of the three people who jump only the author (perhaps his first ever base?) survives unscathed. I think one of them died from their injuries and the other smashed up legs/pelvis. It was pretty traumatic reading.
FiveFiveSix 06 Jun 2017
In reply to TobyA:

> What's that brilliant book from the early 90s about someone learning to BASE jump (and really the early history of BASE in the UK)? I had it back then and then lent it to someone who never returned it.Anyway, the opening chapter is Cheddar, and if I remember correctly, out of the three people who jump only the author (perhaps his first ever base?) survives unscathed. I think one of them died from their injuries and the other smashed up legs/pelvis. It was pretty traumatic reading.

I'm not aware of the book you're referring too.. but it sounds just like BASE haha. But yeah the earliest you an go back in UK BASE history is '81 I believe. Right now BASE is at a stage rock climbing was probably at in the 60's in terms of participation and knowledge haha
 stewart murray 06 Jun 2017
 trouserburp 06 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:

There's another Great Tor on the Gower which will just fit the bill - local
 Dave Cundy 06 Jun 2017
In reply to thomasadixon:

We were climbing in the Avon Gorge, one spring day a few years ago. A BASE jumper went off the top of Main Wall. We were gobsmacked, never seen it done before. And then four of his mates did the same thing. Last one was nervous though. Kept messing with his drogue chute before he jumped and then, once his chute opened, turned the wrong way and damn near landed on the railings. Fine entertainment though. Unforgettable.
In reply to FiveFiveSix:

I saw someone Jump off Harrison Stickle in the Langdales. At first I thought I was witnessing a suicide but then the parachute opened.
 Siward 07 Jun 2017
In reply to ModerateMatt:

What about the Inn Pinn? Possible?
 Michael Gordon 07 Jun 2017
In reply to Siward:

Now that would be a nasty one! The Glen Brittle side is 30m max to the deck. The Coriusk side is longer but could be hard to find anywhere decent to land.
 ModerateMatt 07 Jun 2017
In reply to Michael Gordon:

How about the Cioch in Corie Lagan? Not been there so not sure what the exit would be like.
 Michael Gordon 07 Jun 2017
In reply to ModerateMatt:

It would have to be off the whole cliff, not from the Cioch itself (again not far to slabby ground). But even then, I imagine it could take a fair bit of searching to locate a good exit point. Thinking about this more, the trouble with a lot of these mountain cliffs, even the bigger ones - Skye, Carnmore, Shelter Stone, Dubh Loch etc is they're steep for climbers but not plumb vertical all the way down so you reach less steep ground before you reach the base. Compared to many sea cliffs (or Sron Ulladale) they're just not that steep.
 Hooo 08 Jun 2017
In reply to TobyA:

> What's that brilliant book from the early 90s about someone learning to BASE jump (and really the early history of BASE in the UK)?

Groundrush, by Simon Jakeman.

That was a incredible read, and it made me seriously consider taking up BASE.
When I was on the first belay on Coronation St. in Cheddar a BASE jumper opened up about level with me, and then proceeded to narrowly miss a car on the road. I thought to myself that could have been me, if I hadn't given up on skydiving and started climbing instead.
 duncan 08 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:

I’m uncomfortable about enthusiastic recommendations of popular climbing areas. Despite what you see in over-caffeinated sugary drink company videos, BASE jumps don’t always go entirely to plan.

I witnessed a fatal and very messy BASE jumping accident whilst climbing. The jumper could very easily have taken me out as well as themselves but I just got splattered by blood and brain. Not something I would wish on anyone. I'm not blaming the jumper as it was a big cliff and, at that time, jumping or climbing there were rare. Probably neither of us were aware of each other before she jumped.

Climbers are fairly good at not disturbing other cliff-users. We avoid Peregrins and - mostly - don’t solo above others. I request BASE jumpers extend similar consideration to climbers. Please check the cliff and surroundings and avoid jumping if anyone is around. Thinking “it’ll all be fine” must be essential to jump off a cliff but accidents are unpredictable so take into account people quite far from your intended flightpath. This might seem obvious but, from reports up-thread, it appears it doesn’t always happen.
 LastBoyScout 08 Jun 2017
In reply to Dave Perry:

> You're right. You won';t get a broken ankle. But it sounds like a recipe for drowning.

Plenty of people have done water landings - although washing and drying your rig out afterwards is a pain in the backside and will probably knacker any AAD you have fitted. BASE rigs don't have a reserve and probably not much point in having an AAD anyway, even if you could calibrate them that low.

The drowning risk is mainly from getting tangled in the lines and canopy when it lands on top of you.
 Adam Long 08 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:

> I'm positive there are no wingsuit lines in the UK though guys.

I can believe none have been opened but I'm sure there must be possibilities. Sea cliffs obviously - St John's head is high enough surely?

For a mountain line, looking at a popular (though technical) line like Brevent you've got what - 150m cliff above steep scree? How much vert do you need to get flying? Then the glide is what, 1 in 3, a bit less than scree? How much of that to make it worthwhile, 2000ft vert? There must be some potential somewhere in Scotland.

Suggest you get a copy of The Great Mountain Crags of Scotland for starters.

Root1 08 Jun 2017
In reply to FiveFiveSix:

Strone Ulladale. Theres a crag description in hard rock I think.

Its a big steep hairy fecker
FiveFiveSix 08 Jun 2017
In reply to duncan:

> I’m uncomfortable about enthusiastic recommendations of popular climbing areas. Despite what you see in over-caffeinated sugary drink company videos, BASE jumps don’t always go entirely to plan. I witnessed a fatal and very messy BASE jumping accident whilst climbing. The jumper could very easily have taken me out as well as themselves but I just got splattered by blood and brain. Not something I would wish on anyone. I'm not blaming the jumper as it was a big cliff and, at that time, jumping or climbing there were rare. Probably neither of us were aware of each other before she jumped. Climbers are fairly good at not disturbing other cliff-users. We avoid Peregrins and - mostly - don’t solo above others. I request BASE jumpers extend similar consideration to climbers. Please check the cliff and surroundings and avoid jumping if anyone is around. Thinking “it’ll all be fine” must be essential to jump off a cliff but accidents are unpredictable so take into account people quite far from your intended flightpath. This might seem obvious but, from reports up-thread, it appears it doesn’t always happen.

You seem to be insinuating that if us reckless BASE jumpers gain knowledge of crags there will be hundreds of us falling from the sky, kicking birds nests and swearing at climbers children. The amount of BASE jumpers in the uk is unbelievably low. Not even triple figures for active 'regular' jumpers probably.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...