UKC

Living on a boat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
estivoautumnal 06 Jun 2017
Anyone here living on or lived on a boat full time? We're looking at buying a boat to live on and would appreciate any feedback.

This option is due to working short contracts in various parts of Scotland, and because I am self employed and my wife contracting (and having a dog) it's becoming increasingly difficult for us to secure short term house rentals.

We've researched the Scottish canal networks and marinas so locations are good for commuting. We both have a lot of sailing experience but I realise that a couple of weeks on a sailing holiday is a very different kettle of fish to living on a boat.

The boat in question will be a 40ft ketch.

Thanks.
 BigBrother 07 Jun 2017
In reply to estivoautumnal:

I have always wondered how people living on boats or in vans etc cope with not having a permanent home address when it comes to banks/credit cards/insurance or similar? Assuming they don't have a pretend home address at parents etc.
latisha 07 Jun 2017

I didn't experience living in boat. Maybe you can try to look at
http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/
 The Ice Doctor 07 Jun 2017

Do you know Jonny, ex marine, currently based in Chamonix. You ought to try and get in touch with him. I will see if I can find out what van he is living in. ( No joke)
 James Malloch 07 Jun 2017

My girlfriend and I live on a 57' narrow boat. I'd say it's something that you have to want to do. It's very small compared to most places I've lived so you never really have your own space. It can be hard to fix things that go wrong (unless you're handy) and it gets much colder than houses. Be prepared to get rid of most of your belongings too!

If you've got a mooring with electricity then that makes it more pleasant but without it you'll need lots of solar power if you don't want to run your engine for 3 hours each day (this isn't pleasant) for electricity and hot water.

Regarding the marinas, often you need to take out a longer contract (ours is 12 months but new ones require a 3 year commitment where I am) and are often quite hard to find. In Leeds, for example, there are only about 15 moorings which are permanent (more outside the city) and if you don't manage to get one it'll be a case of moving every 2 weeks, and that means a reasonable (mile or two at least) distance which then impacts commutes.

On top of that you have the whole toilet and water thing which can be a pain.

The whole thing can be pretty crap at times but we made the choice for 3 reasons:

1) We liked the idea and had spent a lot of time thinking about how we would make it work.

2) It means we can live in the city centre in the winter and move to the countryside in the spring/summer.

3) As we're not sure where we want to base ourselves it's a shorter term commitment than a house (we will own it in 3 years) and can treat it as a savings fund for an eventual house rather than paying rent.

My address is my parents but many people use other family or friends.
 jimtitt 07 Jun 2017

I lived on 38ft yacht for 7 years (in the Med).
They are small, dump 90% of your possesions.
Dark winter evenings are long, doubly so in Scotland.
Heating (in the summer cooling), condensation, electricity, water and toilets will begin to dominate your lives.
The deck is your "extra" living space, with ketches this is usually worse than a single-masted boat as it´ s far more cluttered than normal. How well this really works in Scotland in the winter I´ ve no idea but can guess!
Any reasonable caravan is ten times better for living in and ten times cheaper if not hundreds.
 RyanOsborne 07 Jun 2017
Yep, currently in the Isles of Scilly on our 26ft catamaran that we moved aboard in April. There's lots of info on our blog:

http://www.sailingkittiwake.com

I guess using a boat as a home but still working is quite different from permanent sail cruising. In some ways I think it'd be tougher to live on a boat and still commute to a place of work etc. My mum actually lives on a static boat (an old tug boat) on the River Medway in Kent, and still works, but that's a big boat, more like a floating home than living on a 40ft ketch.

As Jim and others said, you'll need to get rid of a lot of possessions if you're used to living in a house, but that can be quite cathartic.

Also, we found our biggest headache to be the marine toilet, and swapped it for a composting loo soon after we moved on - highly recommend it.

Scotland would be tough on a boat in winter, but doable if you kit it out right. There's a Channel on YouTube called venture lives about a couple living on a boat in Alaska, their mods to the boat - a full canvas pilothouse and a small wood stove (or other form of dry heat) would be essential. Boats suffer from condensation quite bad when sitting in cold water and heated to living temperature so the dry heat source is really important.
Post edited at 09:39
estivoautumnal 07 Jun 2017
In reply to BigBrother:

Still have a house so that is not a problem.
estivoautumnal 07 Jun 2017

Thanks for the detailed replies everyone. Will digest and do some thinking.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...