UKC

What would be the budget for a barebones trip to the Alps?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TheFasting 06 Jun 2017

I want to look at some opportunities to go to the Alps for 2 weeks next summer. But I'm wondering how much I'd have to save up for it.

I've been doing some AD grade climbs and want to do something similar around Chamonix, but warming up on some F and PD routes first.

There are camping places where you can sleep in a tent and use the showers/electricity pretty cheap, so I was thinking that we'd do that. In Argentiere I think there's a cheap one ( http://www.campingchamonix.com/?id_page=4&lang=en ).

Going to avoid using the lifts up to Aiguille du Midi as much as possible to cut costs and rather climb back to the valley if we can.

So what would I be looking at for a trip like that? I'm asking here because I assume tgere will be hidden costs I haven't thought about. I will probably plan a bit of travelling around so I'm not confined to Chamonix but I'm guessing that could be too expensive. I was thinking about Gran Paradiso and the Matterhorn (latter might be a stretch, I know).
Post edited at 23:30
 Heike 07 Jun 2017
In reply to TheFasting:

You need to get there, so travel costs wherever you go from. Say £200 on the ferry return for two people. 150 in fuel (if you drive or train). Living costs are no worse than at home, say 10 pound per person a day. Ok, the camping, say 24 pounds a day for two people on average. Plus any extravagant things like going out and lifts. So, adding up I'd say it would be £848 for two people on the basics for two weeks plus any extras as mentioned above.
 John Kelly 07 Jun 2017
In reply to TheFasting:

Don't totally dismiss lifts, you can get more done so they can end up being great value.
cb294 07 Jun 2017
In reply to TheFasting:

Huts, above all.

Gran Paradiso can be done in a push from the parking lot in Pont (2100m elevation gain), but most other glaciated peaks require an alpine start from higher up. Get a membership in any Alpine Club that gives you reciprocal rights, the amount you save in a single night at a hut will cover that expense.

Also, Italy is cheaper than France or Switzerland, but in the Saas Valley the camping fee includes a lift pass, worth an option if you drive and can stock up on food on the way.

CB
 Alex Riley 07 Jun 2017
In reply to cb294:

Buying single lift passes works out considerably more expensive than just buying a two week pass in cham.
OP TheFasting 07 Jun 2017
In reply to John Kelly:

I was thinking I'd have a small budget for them but to try to avoid them as much as possible.

I'm not too sure about the rules there but are you allowed to camp in the mountains there or are you required to stay in a hut if it's nearby?
In reply to Heike:

I'm planning to go by plane to Geneva and then bus to Chamonix. Seems to total around 200 GBP from what I've seen (I'm Norwegian, just doing the conversion in my head)
 Alex Riley 07 Jun 2017
In reply to TheFasting:

Cham lifts are £63 for a full day pass, or £210 for two weeks. It's worth it believe me.
 nutme 07 Jun 2017
In reply to TheFasting:

> I was thinking I'd have a small budget for them but to try to avoid them as much as possible.

It is one of best things you can spend cash on in Alps. It will save A LOT of time and will allow to climb way more. Without lifts walk ins can be 1500 vertical meters and not very straight. Alternative could be to do hut-to-hut (expensive) or camp high (heavy).

> I'm not too sure about the rules there but are you allowed to camp in the mountains there or are you required to stay in a hut if it's nearby?

It is not allowed. But people camp anyway. Worst can happen is helicopter to land on your tent. If you pitch and even leave it for the day out of sight from huts and trails nobody gonna bother you. But you may get things stolen if decide to leave it for the day. It's better to stash it.
 timmeehhhh 07 Jun 2017
In reply to TheFasting:

Proper dirtbag style:
In the valley: Avoid campsites and bivy discretely on and around parking lots, wash in the river, public toilets or not at al.
In the mountains: Take up food and bivy gear for multiple days as soon as a good weather window is forecasted. Walk up to an area that has multiple routes that are in condition. Stash the bivy gear and extra food during the day to prevent being spotted, wake up early to do so. Pack your food in such a way that alpine wildlife can't get to it.
Spend money in huts when celebrating a successful climb with a pint every now and then.

Costs for such a trip mainly comprise food & fuel.
 wbo 07 Jun 2017
In reply to TheFasting: what's the going rate for a campsite in Argentite ? Am planning similar trip, but this year.
It's that, flight+connection and a lift budget? Food is likely cheaper than here (Norway)

In reply to timmeehhhh:

That sounds good, but I think I'd probably still spend money on camp sites just to be able to rest with peace of mind.

If someone steals the tent then I'd probably get it back from my travel insurance anyway.
In reply to wbo:

So far what I've worked out, excluding food, is 550 GBP. That's about 12 euro per day at the camping site for 14 days (adult + tent + electricity), and 2500 NOK round trip with plane and bus to Chamonix (flights are usually around 1500 at the cheapest). Then adding 2000 NOK for unforseen expenses (which now looks like it will be the lift budget).

Food in addition to that, but it will just be very cheap stuff that we cook on our own. Bread, nuts, pasta with meat etc. Just to stay alive, really. Maybe one celebration if we do something big.
 jonnie3430 07 Jun 2017
In reply to TheFasting:

Go to ailefroide, avoid the lifts completely and split your time between climbing around the campsite and higher routes.
 freeheel47 09 Jun 2017
In reply to TheFasting:

If you really want to go ultra low budget / poverty then;

travel to alps- hitch. Free

travel in the alps- hitch. Free

Camping- as above dirtbag bivvies in valley / on hill. Free

Food- sardines.- very cheap. There are / were other ways. Beer.

Lifts- having tried walking up even some of the smaller lifts it really is a false economy. Can you find a pass online?

But if you are Norwegian you may find everything ridiculously cheap!

SouthernSteve 09 Jun 2017
In reply to freeheel47:

Don't know if this is still the case, but it used to be said it was cheaper in Italy c.f. France and obviously Switzerland – is that still true?
 Tom Last 09 Jun 2017
In reply to TheFasting:

£200 is way more than you should have to pay for the ferry (Dover - Calais/Dunkerque) if you travel in the small hours. Seem to recall we paid less than half that.
 freeheel47 09 Jun 2017
In reply to Tom Last:

he is from Norway!
 Tom Last 09 Jun 2017
In reply to freeheel47:

> he is from Norway!

Fair one then, that'll do it!
In reply to TheFasting:

Agree with everyone else that lifts should be the last thing you cut out of your budget. Yes they're expensive, but they can save you *so* much time and effort. There may well be people out there who have a long term pass and 'rent' it out for cheaper than you would pay officially. It's not allowed, and they have a photos on them, but a lot of people seem to get away with it. Ask around when you're there, or on chamsocial.com

Getting there and around can be done by hitching if you have the time, although cheap(ish) flights might make more sense, especially from Norway. Free travel up and down the valley on trains and buses (I think) with a guest card you can get from a campsite. When we stayed in the one in Argentiere, we only paid for a couple of nights, but the travel card was valid as long as we wanted.

Stay off the booze if you want to save cash, but save something for a celebratory drink or meal after your epic ascent. It will taste wonderful.

You can bivvy in the mountains. Officially dusk till dawn, then take it down and stash it somewhere out of sight. Don't make a nuisance of yourself, and try not to do it too close to the huts, even though you will see others doing both.

Supermarkets are a bit more expensive in Cham. If you're passing the big one in St Gervais-les-bains, it's worth stocking up there. But don't go out of your way.
 MG 09 Jun 2017
In reply to Richard Alderton:

Curious. Walking under lifts is tedious, I agree. However choosing to walk up where there aren't lifts is a large part the enjoyment for me, will save a lot of money and get you to quieter more remote areas. Timewise not much different as you still get to a hut one day and then do a route the next.
 Brass Nipples 09 Jun 2017
In reply to TheFasting:

Cycling there, climb and cycle round. Cycle back.

OP TheFasting 10 Jun 2017
In reply to freeheel47:

The time saved by flying I probably make up for the expenses involved in driving/cycling there anyway, because it'll be additional days with additional food. Suddenly I've only saved a bit of money.

I'm a bit vary of the dirtbag bivvies in the valley, but I probably will do that in the mountains. In the valley I'd probably like to be able to properly relax but not constantly worrying I'd have to move camp if someone discovered us.

I was thinking that after acclimatizing a long link-up in the mountains could be done before going down while bivvying up there. Something like Royal Traverse (AD+ 2), then descending Trois Monts Route (PD+), doing Arete des Cosmiques (AD 3), then going over to Tour Ronde for the north face. Obviously that would need much more planning, I'm just thinking out loud at this stage. That would be like a week up high, but with retreat options with lifts at several places.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...