UKC

My first ever drone movie of Bridestones

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 07 Jun 2017
Seeing as this is my first ever drone movie, there is obviously room for improvement.

I very much would appreciate any help or advice on how to get better shots.

youtube.com/watch?v=BPbbS1GktpQ&
 FactorXXX 07 Jun 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Nice enough and I assume that the crag footage was taken with the full knowledge and consent of the people there.
However, what's going on with filming over a built up area? Such filming is only going to hasten stricter control of drones and if users are not careful, could see them all but banned.
Lusk 07 Jun 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Good to see The Bridestone itself is still standing, haven't been up there for years!
You could've landed and taken a shot of the top of it, that'd be closest I'd ever get to seeing it
In reply to The Lemming:

Looked a good job to me, well done. I don't know the area so the cut from town to country felt a little disjointed though.

I'm curious about the law. Is it ok to fly over towns, people and especially railways?
 Steve Perry 07 Jun 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

I could see my old place on that, nice.
 dread-i 07 Jun 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

I think the first minute, the bit over the town, is a distraction. It shows you can go quite high and the footage is crisp and clear, which is all well and good. But, it doesn't add anything to the bouldering on t'moor, theme.

The bit on the moor is great. Lots of big sky and wide open spaces. The mild ribbing from the old blokes to the yoof, as they pass on the wisdom of age, makes it personal. Rather than just lots of aerial shots of bits of crag.

OP The Lemming 07 Jun 2017
In reply to dread-i:

I was trying to link Tod to Bridy but you're right, it just does not follow. I tried to make the rest an interesting story as the yoof had been trying that route for a few years.
 andy 07 Jun 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

Two sets of rules here - flying drones and taking pictures.

Flying: Not within 50m of people or buildings. Not within 150m of "congested areas" (so probably a town - suspect that bit's dodgy from a CAA point of view).

Taking pictures: In a public place, take photos of who/what you like. You don't need "consent" from anybody to take photos, so not a problem. It's a camera - the rules don't change because it's on a drone.
Removed User 07 Jun 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

I would take out the old fellas giving unneeded advice it steals his thunder, particularly as you focus on his excitement as having done it with him running around the crag. It distorts the narrative. it is about him, not about someone saying he could have done it easier. I liked it beyond that. you've got a lot tighter on your editing.
 FactorXXX 07 Jun 2017
In reply to andy:

Taking pictures: In a public place, take photos of who/what you like. You don't need "consent" from anybody to take photos, so not a problem. It's a camera - the rules don't change because it's on a drone.

The consent bit was more about if the people gave consent to the drone itself and not the filming.
However, there is still a potential problem with drones and invasion of privacy, etc. and I think it will be something that will need addressing at some point.
In the meantime, it would probably be a good idea for drone users to be sensible in how they're used and not use them in such places as built up areas and/or other places at busy times.
I should add, that I'm not anti-drone, as I see that they can produce stills and video from a totally different perspective and I'm considering buying one for that reason. For example, if someone was using one over 'insert beautiful place of your choice' at five in the morning, then it shouldn't be a problem. However, do it at noon on a busy Bank Holiday and it might be a different story...
 dread-i 07 Jun 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

>I was trying to link Tod to Bridy but you're right, it just does not follow.

You could do a 360 on the moor. You'd get the roof tops of Tod and Stoodly Pike in the background. It would show a lot of greenery and make the place look remote (sort of).
If you went at tea time, it catches the sunset. An excuse for a return visit...
 andy 08 Jun 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

Why would they need to give consent if the thing's used within the rules? The CAA regs are very clear - keep >50m away from anyone who's not with you. If it's that far away you'd be hard pushed to know it was there, and certainly no more intrusive than a strimmer or a bus going past.

And flying over built up areas is a no-no - again, very clear in the rules.
 FactorXXX 08 Jun 2017
In reply to andy:

Why would they need to give consent if the thing's used within the rules? The CAA regs are very clear - keep >50m away from anyone who's not with you.

Not wishing to get into a circular argument, but I did say that I assumed consent was sought in my opening post and later clarified that that statement was about the drone and not the actual filming itself.
 andy 08 Jun 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

And I'm saying you don't need consent to fly a drone in a public place as long as it's 50m away from people - the irritation factor is pretty minimal at 50m+ - certainly I can hardly hear mine once it's taken off and is c30m directly overhead - once it gets up and away a bit you'd have to be very sensitive to say it's an issue.

But I agree that flying close to people is intrusive - but that's why they have the 50m rule.
 Bulls Crack 08 Jun 2017
In reply to The Lemming:

Didn't know they had grit in Ireland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...