UKC

The Water Spring Near 9 ladies Stanton Moor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 09 Jun 2017

I have a bit of a plan for doing some discrete wild camping in the area, and from looking into water filtration, it seems like it can be difficult to make water like which would come from the river Derwent of decent enough quality to drink it. Could anybody tell me how to find the water spring which is in the area?

Thanks
Tim
 Siward 09 Jun 2017
In reply to Timmd:

No.

But I bivvied up there a year or so ago and carried a 5 litre water bottle (and beer, obviously) which did two of us alright. I've never noticed water up there.

Siward 09 Jun 2017
In reply to Siward:

Although if you look at the 1:25000 map there are a couple of small pools marked. I've never noticed them on the ground but probably because I've not been looking....
 robert-hutton 09 Jun 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Spring comes out via a tunnel which is carved Derbyshire water board to the east of 9 ladies it's on the bottom path, the water looks clean and a good flow but not tested.
OP Timmd 09 Jun 2017
In reply to robert-hutton:

Aha. It would be being filtered, my main concern was the agricultural chemicals which would be likely to be in the river Derwent. Many thanks for that.
In reply to Timmd:
It's got no fields or agricultural above or in catchment area just Stanton moor, like I say it has it has water board on the tunnel entrance it's about 10 meters up from the east lower path below the cat stones

If you do go and camp on the 21 June you won't be on your own and may be very wild.
Post edited at 12:52
OP Timmd 09 Jun 2017

Thanks, I shall keep that in mind.

http://www.walkingwiththetaxidriver.co.uk/the-walks/peak-district/nine-ladi...

Could you be able to point out where the tunnel is on this map of the area?
 ed woods 09 Jun 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Spar shop in Darley Dale? Has both still and sparkling.
OP Timmd 09 Jun 2017
In reply to ed woods:
That requires money, in Austerity Britain I'm cutting back ahead of needing to a little bit.

I like the idea of water from a spring, too.
Post edited at 14:53
 The bandit 09 Jun 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Whenever I'm running across stanton moor there are people camping, personally i'd head elsewhere for some solitude. Unless you're really keen on using the spring (?) i'd be tempted to follow the path through barn farm. I'm sure they wouldn't object to simply filling up bottles.
In reply to Timmd:

It's at grid reference SK 251 631 west of Stanton Lees small square with blue line below, the light dotted lines are paths, one comes down from the tower and around it that makes sense.
OP Timmd 09 Jun 2017
Thanks very much for that, I shall buy a decent map and have a perusal. That's very helpful. Excellent.
Post edited at 16:25
In reply to Timmd:

It's a great area but can be busy on mid summers weekends, if so try some of the paths on Bonsall moor to upper town or Cratcliff, Gratton / Long dale areas.
But Stanton moor is a very magical place in summer early in the morning is stunning.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...