UKC

what will the DUP's price for support be?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
so the Tories are going to turn to the DUP to prop up their administration. this will obviously come with a price tag. what are the DUP likely to demand in return? and they are pro brexit; but what flavour of brexit do they support- were they for exiting single market and customs union?
 balmybaldwin 09 Jun 2017
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

Very much a soft Brexit from what they were saying prior to the results
 bouldery bits 09 Jun 2017
An all expenses paid water skiing holiday, 2 free passes to Edinburgh Zoo, and a packet of bourbons.
Post edited at 13:41
In reply to bouldery bits:
.... and a packet of bourbons.

Bourbons? were they not catholics?

are they not likely to prefer a more protestant biscuit? like a plain digestive, or rich tea?
Post edited at 13:45
 ewanjp 09 Jun 2017

The BBC's insightful opinion was "cheaper ferries to northern ireland".
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> Very much a soft Brexit from what they were saying prior to the results

yes, somebody else has said that. does that not bake in impossible tensions from the very outset of this arrangement, whatever form it takes? The DUP are not exactly renowned for their flexibility and accommodation on matters they see as important, and the hard right of the Tories are unlikely to be prepared to countenance anything short of a diamond-tipped brexit now; with a de facto majority of (329-322=) 7, May will be hostage to any minority that wants to have its way, and two such minorities seem likely to want diametrically opposite and incompatable outcomes?

have i misread the situation or are we looking at doing all of this again, and soon?
In reply to ewanjp:

yes i saw that; informative, and straight to the heart of the issue, as ever...!
 Jenny C 09 Jun 2017

My guess would be freedom of travel across the Irish border.

Probably also other trade and cross border agreements which the loss of would have a significant impact on the lives of those living close to a land border.
Lusk 09 Jun 2017
Just spotted this on Wiki ...
"The Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) is the largest shower of c*nts in Westminster ..."

Is that entirely correct?
Well, I suppose they'll make suitable partners.
Post edited at 14:18
 JLS 09 Jun 2017

Just in from WikiLeaks the initial demands are....

1) Glasgow Rangers football club to relocate to Belfast.
2) All kerbstones in the Provance to be painted red white and blue.
3) Posthumous knighthood for Dr. Ian Paisley.
4) A written constitution for the UK enshrining the notion that the Pope is the Antichrist.
5) New UK public holiday on the 12th of July.
6) Free flute tuition for all 3 to 5 year olds.

More demands will follow...
 wbo 09 Jun 2017
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs: stop teaching evolution and climate change doesn't exist, and if it does, god's work

> .... and a packet of bourbons.Bourbons? were they not catholics? are they not likely to prefer a more protestant biscuit? like a plain digestive, or rich tea?

My guess is two Chocolate Oranges and a nuclear strike on Rome.
 Hat Dude 09 Jun 2017

>what will the DUP's price for support be?

I don't know but I'm installing a wood burning stove just in case
 sensibleken 09 Jun 2017

-Buckingham palace guards must have their hats replaced with bowlers
-Statue of Charles Darwin to be symbolically beheaded publicly
-Republic of Ireland to be referred to as "them'uns" in all official communications
-Catholics made to identify themselves in public by wearing frilly pink tutus
-The Irish sea to be renamed 'Bucket of Fenian bastards tears'
-All green areas to be razed

well according to radio 5, they support a hard brexit after all- exit from single market, customs union; as long as it doesn't affect the Border with the republic.

so the Hard Brexit bandwagon rolls on after all...

how is this going to affect the situation in N Ireland though? currently the devolved administration is suspended; and if there is no solution, it will eventually revert to direct rule. Previously there could be some semblance of impartiality to that; but now that one of the players is vital to propping up the westminster government, if direct rule is imposed again, will that be seen as the imposition of a DUP agenda by the nationalists? does that risk further curdling an already pretty toxic situation?

Hat Dude 09 Jun 2017
In reply to sensibleken:

> -Buckingham palace guards must have their hats replaced with bowlers

One for the older UKCers

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d3/cd/9a/d3cd9ad03484dc2bc20d7059...
 handofgod 09 Jun 2017

A blowie round the back of the bike shed each.

Sorry I couldn't resist.
 Andy Johnson 09 Jun 2017
Probably something like:

1. No hard border between NI and Irish Republic.
2. Keep various troublesome aspects of the 21st century (same sex marriage, women's reproductive rights, secular schooling, etc.) out of NI.
3. Legal protection for what they see as their "religious liberties" - see the "Gay Cake" case.
4. The usual economic development funds to flow to NI.

Its hard to see how #1 can be made to be compatible with "take back control" but I'm sure something will be worked out.

What I'm fairly sure won't be on the agenda is power sharing at Stormont, at least in a form that is equitable and fair. Why would the DUP want to share power with anyone when they effectively own the UK government?
Post edited at 16:06
 krikoman 09 Jun 2017

> .... and a packet of bourbons.Bourbons? were they not catholics? are they not likely to prefer a more protestant biscuit? like a plain digestive, or rich tea?

I think you'll find the Rich Tea is Presbyterian.
 krikoman 09 Jun 2017
In reply to Lusk:
> Just spotted this on Wiki ..."The Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) is the largest shower of c*nts in Westminster ..."Is that entirely correct?Well, I suppose they'll make suitable partners.

Do they need a citation for that? I think there's one in Rome.
Post edited at 16:28
 The New NickB 09 Jun 2017

Documentary series about it currently showing on C4 at 9pm on Sunday nights!
 paulguy 09 Jun 2017
In reply to andyjohnson0:

Mmm, I don't know how concerned the DUP will be about the border. I would look at a map showing the constituencies where the SF/DUP seats were won to see where their voting base lies.
As an NI-person I'm both embarrassed to have these people in the spotlight but curious if it will provide greater scrutiny of these gombeen politicians (e.g. google DUP brexit dark money)
In reply to krikoman:

> Do they need a citation for that? I think there's one in Rome.

That would be an ecumenical matter.
 bouldery bits 09 Jun 2017
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

Careful Now!
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

Feck, feck, feck, feck, fecking feck!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...