UKC

So, just how bonkers are DUPpers, then...?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
You know the stuff- climate change denial, creationism. Is it like UKIP, where you only have to scrape off the topsoil an you start to find some pretty fruity views? Or is all that a thing of the past and elected reps are more 'mainstream' in their thinking now..?
 The Lemming 09 Jun 2017
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

It's a case of the tail most definitely wagging the dog. They won't be as much a push over as the Lib Dems were.
 climbwhenready 09 Jun 2017

They're the biggest party in Northern Ireland, so pretty mainstream.
 Pete Pozman 09 Jun 2017
In reply to climbwhenready:

They think they represent a "British" world view. That would be true if this were the seventeenth century. It will be astonishing if we are to start our Brexit negotiations with the DUP contributing to the steer rather than the mainstream of the UK centre ground.
 Mick Ward 09 Jun 2017
In reply to climbwhenready:

> They're the biggest party in Northern Ireland, so pretty mainstream.

Err... I grew up in Northern Ireland. Would never assume that mainstream there is the same as mainstream anywhere else. And that's putting it mildly.

Mick
 Shani 09 Jun 2017

There is suprising overlap in the Venn diagram of DUP politics and Sharia Law.
Election results 2017: Who are the Democratic Unionist Party?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40217141

Well, my question answered- never mind rank-and-file duppers, it looks like the parliamentary party have their 'alternative facts' in full view.

Has it really come to this, Teresa? All political careers end in failure, they say, but few plunge into such a humiliating abyss, or drag so many down with them.
Post edited at 22:07
 Stichtplate 10 Jun 2017
In reply to Mick Ward:

> Err... I grew up in Northern Ireland. Would never assume that mainstream there is the same as mainstream anywhere else. And that's putting it mildly. Mick

Too right. Have you seen Jedward? F*cking terrifying!
 Yanis Nayu 10 Jun 2017

Given the apparent fragility of the power sharing agreement, it's illustrative of May's character that she's willing to risk peace in NI to cling on to power. Power that she had and threw away through her own arrogance and incompetence. She's contemptible.
 goldmember 10 Jun 2017

Surely she risks dragging down the paace process too. Very odd set up altogether
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Yes she seems determined to leave a legacy more toxic even than thatcher or Blair, which would be an achievement, of sorts, I suppose. But surely not what she envisaged when she took the job.

In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Given the apparent fragility of the power sharing agreement, it's illustrative of May's character that she's willing to risk peace in NI to cling on to power. Power that she had and threw away through her own arrogance and incompetence. She's contemptible.

Excellent comment. Spot on in every respect. In the space of eight short weeks, May's position as prime minister has gone from unassailable to untenable and she's got nobody to blame but herself. the words arrogant, incompetent and contemptible sum her up perfectly.
 Lemony 10 Jun 2017

Perhaps the most worrying thing for me is that Brexit that such is the potential for a bad deal to screw us up that for a sufficiently pragmatic figure it might actually be rational to risk stirring up the troubles again if it means a better negotiating position.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...