UKC

Rotating some video footage shot in portrait mode (grrr)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Martin W 11 Jun 2017
We have some video footage of a recent significant family event, which unfortunately was shot in portrait orientation. I believe I know how to rotate it so that it will fit in a landscape frame, but that will leave quite a wide and unsightly black border at each side. It's not really feasible to crop the image frame at all.

I've seen portrait orientation video shown on TV (usually shot on someone's smartphone - pity the users aren't as 'smart' as their phones) where, instead of black borders, there seems to be a sort of blurred version of the main video image playing at the sides. Does anyone know how to get this effect?

Or does anyone have any other ideas? (Other than shooting the twit who videoed in portrait format in the first place.)
 Fraser 11 Jun 2017
In reply to Martin W:

Depends on what editor you will be using. If you have something basic it may not let you layer video tracks, which is ideally what you want to do. One option might be to have the portrait video playing in 1/3 of the landscape screen and at the same time in the other 2/3, place selected still images.

It's amazing the number of folk who video things in portrait format, so I wouldn't be too hard on them. It's probably because it's easier to hold a smart phone that way, but who knows, you'd think they'd still realise what they were doing!
 john arran 11 Jun 2017
In reply to Martin W:

> anyone have any other ideas? (Other than shooting the twit who videoed in portrait format in the first place.)

Turn your telly end-up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...