/ Mississippi Buttress Direct - Sunday 11/6

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Gambitgooner on 12 Jun 2017
Hi

Left a nut, hex and quickdraw on this yesterday (Sunday 11th) after bailing out on it in the rain. If found I'll paid for p&p.

Thanks
Charlie
deacondeacon - on 12 Jun 2017
In reply to gambitgooner:

Why didn't you just ab for it?
Genuine question.
PaulTanton - on 12 Jun 2017
In reply to deacondeacon:
Nasty rain yesterday. We retreated to the cafe then got two routes at horseshoe. Result
Simon Caldwell - on 12 Jun 2017

The rain lasted for about 15 minutes, we were climbing again 15 minutes after that but most people had left the crag by then
Gambitgooner on 12 Jun 2017

It was wet, was starting to hate climbing, getting tired and had a 3 hour drive. Not ideal I know but I thought better to retreat than make mistakes on the ab.
deacondeacon - on 12 Jun 2017
Sounds like guilt free crag swag to me ;)
andyman666999 - on 13 Jun 2017
No offence but I never get why people post things as lost on a route if they couldn't be bothered to even attempt to retrieve it. Better to accept that you just didn't want it enough and its been donated to the local upcycling of gear club.

Kirill - on 13 Jun 2017
In reply to andyman666999:
To me it sounds more like inexperience rather than he couldn't be bothered. I think he deserves some sympathy and I hope he gets his gear back.
Post edited at 11:20
gavmac on 13 Jun 2017
In reply to Kirill:

You're never too inexperienced to learn the rules of the game though
deacondeacon - on 13 Jun 2017

Haha, I see you did exactly the same thing (but with a rope) the last time you went to Tremadoc.
With all due respect sort your own shit out instead of expecting others to do it for you.
ads.ukclimbing.com
andyman666999 - on 13 Jun 2017
In reply to Kirill:

Seems like he had a spot of bother at Tremadoc with an ab in April so could understand his reticence.
Perhaps a quick course could improve things for the future?
Gambitgooner on 13 Jun 2017

I don't expect anyone to do anything. I just posted on a lost/found forum after someone suggested it to me and I thought hang on its a lost/found forum rather than the ethics dept. There are plenty of climbers who don't read these forums so I am perfectly prepared to accept any gear can be liberated by others with no expectation of return. I certainly didn't want to upset anyone by my actions. I've had 2 bad experiences with gear this year after several years without incident because occasionally shit happens. I was prepared to lose the ropes in Tremadog because it was dark and I couldn't return the following day. Someone did get them down and kindly posted it here. I made a donation to the local MRT in response to that. Like most I have helped get stuck gear for people which is just a cooperative thing to do. I'm completely prepared to lose gear given the circumstances. I just thought asking was fair enough. I know better now though don't I.
ebdon - on 13 Jun 2017

Before you get too self-righteous - think of it from a totally different point of view, what you have effectively done is litter a route/blocking gear placements and handholds for the next accentionist who probably wont appreciate random insitu gear, as you were effectively too lazy to wait 15 minutes for it to stop raining.
I'm not having a go - but sometimes you have to chalk these things up to experience.
Gambitgooner on 13 Jun 2017
In reply to ebdon:

More than fair enough comment and I am aware of that. Mea culpa. I've learnt my lesson here so I'm going to leave the thread be. Thanks.
wilkie14c - on 13 Jun 2017

I've been up today and the gear is not there now. I was a tad peeved driving up from Derby in the rush hour for nothing. Please send me a nut, a hex and a quick draw to recompensate. You have already said you'll be paying for p&p which is most generous of you, thanks.
gethin_allen on 13 Jun 2017
In reply to ebdon:
> Before you get too self-righteous - think of it from a totally different point of view, what you have effectively done is litter a route/blocking gear placements and handholds for the next accentionist who probably wont appreciate random insitu gear, as you were effectively too lazy to wait 15 minutes for it to stop raining.

That's rubbish, the next climber would probably be pleased as punch to find a load of free gear.

Or if they are compassionate wouldn't care less and would post it on here to see if anyone has lot anything.

The whole crag swag thing is just harsh and these people should probably think about the concept of " theft by finding" and what happened to that lady who picked up a £20 outside a shop recently.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/woman-nicole-bailey-kept-20-note-one-stop-burton-sto...
Post edited at 00:01
Ade in Sheffield - on 13 Jun 2017

single pitch crag, decent belays- not the most difficult of retrievals?

As Deacon says, legit cragswag- as one who is usually quite benevolent.
ebdon - on 14 Jun 2017
In reply to gethin_allen:
Well somtimes I'm the next climber and it pisses me right off so there!
If youre too lazy or incompetent to clean a route then deal with the consequences!
There is a big difference between lost and deliberately abandoned.
Post edited at 09:30
Simon Caldwell - on 14 Jun 2017
In reply to oldmanhoy:

> I thought hang on its a lost/found forum rather than the ethics dept

you're new to UKC aren't you ;-)
scoobydougan - on 14 Jun 2017
In reply to ebdon:

Poor you all those people just there to piss you off !
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.