UKC

The Stronghold Bouldering wall in North London

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 racodemisa 13 Jun 2017

Re the Stronghold wall
Just wanted to let anyone know that this wall is really developing now(its been open just over 2 months) into a really good wall. If you are seeking out good setting,meaningful grades with an emphasis on middle to upper middle grades (v2 to v5) its particularly good.
The training facilities are very good with the 45 degree fixed hold board developing really well giving access to a great form of training for the more experienced up to the elite.
It offers a lot more quality than the established walls IMO .
Right now these other walls seem to be dumbing down an awful lot of their climbing leaving dedicated experienced climbers with less and less to do.
The Stronghold seems to be a great step back in the right direction I think
Post edited at 09:10
caver 13 Jun 2017
In reply to racodemisa:

> Right now these other walls seem to be dumbing down an awful lot of their climbing leaving dedicated experienced climbers with less and less to do.

> The Stronghold seems to be a great step back in the right direction I think

You not been to Mile End have you. Really good problems set on up to date holds. A dedicated wall set with ISFC competition style routes using proper comp holds. A stand out 45 degree wall........really dumbing down. Stonghold is a good addition to London walls but it's three really good features linked by a lot of similar slightly overhanging surface. I hope Yonder put a bit more thought into it.
 galpinos 13 Jun 2017
In reply to racodemisa:

Sounds like an ideal location for a fashion show.....
OP racodemisa 13 Jun 2017
In reply to caver:

Have been to Mile end a lot over the years.Really like the place.
Its still a great place to go.But like the Arch and the Castle it has a huge number of jug ladders ie dumbed down problems in the lower grades.The Arch and Castle has this problem as well and i have spent time wandering around those walls in the last few months trying to find a consistent number of real grade problems@ real world v2 to v4.
I climb V1 to V6 and enjoy both working harder problems but also climbing easier ones.
At the stronghold right now if you are a V2 to v4 climber there seems a lot more to go at.
The training board at mile end is great...hard but great.The one at the stronghold is also really good and is more versatile IMO.

HoffTTM 03 Jul 2017
The Arch just has very soft grading when compared to other walls i visit frequently like Reading, Craggy Guildford (to a lesser extent) or now that I am in Utrecht, Boulderhal Sterk which has MUCH more technical climbs graded at F4-5. I've not been climbing long and am by my own admission rubbish and can send every single orange/black (V1-2 iirc) at the Biscuit Factory and flash 80% of them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...