UKC

how strong is acrylic?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dan Arkle 13 Jun 2017
I want to cover the coal chute to my cellar with a piece of plastic, 30x30cm 20mm thick.

Is acrylic the best option?

Assumming I fit it well, is this going to be stong enough to safely stand on?

balmybaldwin 13 Jun 2017
In reply to Dan Arkle:

I doubt it would be considered "safe" if on a public street(although it could be) simply because acrylic is fairly flexible and will move when loaded(and eventually work it's way out of it's fixings).....

Generally they use extra strong glass for this
 Fraser 13 Jun 2017
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Chances are it would be fine as it's such a short span. (I presume you want it clear to let light through otherwise I'd do it in timber or metal.) Toughened laminated glass is the standard spec for walk-on glazing.
 wbo 13 Jun 2017
In reply to Dan Arkle:
At 20mm thick it will be plenty strong-
Deadeye 13 Jun 2017
In reply to Dan Arkle:

> I want to cover the coal chute to my cellar with a piece of plastic, 30x30cm 20mm thick.

> Is acrylic the best option?

> Assumming I fit it well, is this going to be stong enough to safely stand on?

Yes - but it will scratch up in no time
 sbc23 13 Jun 2017
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Given the short span, you'll probably find even 8 or 10mm thoughened glass will be fine and actually be very difficult to break.

Laminating it would help keep it intact if it gets vandilised with something sharp and heavy. This will be more expensive.
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Acrylic of that thickness will work. Toughened glass better.
OP Dan Arkle 14 Jun 2017
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

Thanks ukc, I knew you'd have the answer!
 jkarran 14 Jun 2017
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Acrylic will discolour and scratch up but a small piece like that evenly supported would be plenty strong enough for a human to stand on. I wouldn't fancy a horse's chances.
jk
 duchessofmalfi 14 Jun 2017
In reply to jkarran:

Design your frame, cut a bit of ply / mdf neatly to fit in the frame / mount exactly as you want (including any holes required). Take it to a glass supplier and ask them to make it out of 10mm toughened or (better) 10/12mm laminated - there are standards for this sort of glazing application and the glass merchant will help. It won't be instant - you'll have to order it - toughened glass is toughened after it is cut and machined.

If you are exposing the edges get them polished. Much better than acrylic (although the acrylic is plenty strong enough). If you are covering a coal hole consider whether you need ventilation at this point because you might want to design your cover to provide this.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...