UKC

indoor climbing costs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RX-78 14 Jun 2017
After looking at the joke post on sneaking into climbing centers for free, I was wondering how many here go for annual membership at the walls? Currently I visit 2 walls, The Reach and The Arch. At The Reach I have started using the multi-buy option for 10 climbs at a reduced price (compared to single entry), £8. At the Arch I pay one off single price off peak of £7.50. Due to location visiting the Reach other than at weekends is awkward, and as I prefer (lead) climbing to bouldering, I would still want to go to the Reach although the Arch is more convenient.

A multi-centre pass type thing would be great!
 Oogachooga 15 Jun 2017
In reply to RX-78:

Used to pay £45 a month, one adult 2 kids.

Rip off for something you can get for free in most areas of UK.
 Malaka 15 Jun 2017
In reply to RX-78:

I got an annual membership at my local wall around Xmas and have almost been enough times to effectively pay it off, so the 2nd half of the year will be free

Only gripe is that I can't use this membership at other walls with the same name, but they are franchised so it's understandable
OP RX-78 15 Jun 2017
In reply to Oogachooga:

Sadly not readily available in London, but when I think about going to a center I also weight up the decision against just going for a run or cycle which is free (my bikes are all over 10 years old so just yearly maintenance costs to consider). My early morning sessions at The Arch also compete against the £3.50 entry to my local lido, very tempting in the warmer months.

Removed User 21 Jun 2017
In reply to RX-78:

I have a base membership at my wall that was £30 once and gives you a discount each time for a year, and I am getting a concession as a student. That way I pay £6.50 untimed, and £4 for one hour of climbing during weekday lunchtime hours. The latter sounds like a pretty bad deal, considering it's only one hour, but it saves money and if you boulder continuously you can get yourself pretty tired within just this one hour.

I go twice a week, once untimed, once lunchtime, so £11.50 a week, £46 a month. Comes out slightly cheaper than buying a 6 months membership, and costs more than annual membership, BUT I obviously don't climb while travelling, or on vacation, plus it's more flexible.
 summo 21 Jun 2017
In reply to Malaka:

> Only gripe is that I can't use this membership at other walls with the same name, but they are franchised so it's understandable

Provided they charge equal fees, they could easily have an agreement between them and it might tempt more people to join too.
 robert-hutton 21 Jun 2017
In reply to summo:

Reciprocal rights would be great as in Sheffield The foundry and the climbing works are both great venue's and provide different training, by mixing it up would benefit all and maybe increase the purchase of a yearly pass.
 stp 25 Jun 2017
In reply to RX-78:

> A multi-centre pass type thing would be great!

I think you're thinking of MoveGB which is scheme to encourage exercise generally amongst the population. You pay weekly fee and then you can get into all kinds of different facilities as often as you want. I think the price depends on where you live, probably more expensive in London, and you also have to sign up for a minimum of 2 months. But not all walls are part of the scheme which is annoying. But there's lots of other exercise stuff you can use from regular gyms, crossfit, yoga etc. If your local wall isn't signed up you could always encourage them to join. It would encourage a wider diversity of customers for them.

In Sheffield the lead walls are both signed up but the bouldering wall isn't. Since it's hard to find partners the bouldering wall is more important for me. So I've just got an annual pass there - which works out less than £1 per day, and considerably cheaper than the other options.

https://www.movegb.com/
 Wsdconst 25 Jun 2017
In reply to robert-hutton:

> Reciprocal rights would be great as in Sheffield The foundry and the climbing works are both great venue's and provide different training, by mixing it up would benefit all and maybe increase the purchase of a yearly pass.

You forgot awesome, it would be good to have a pass to all three, we normally rotate between all three, seems to keep us motivated abit more.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...