UKC

COMPETITION: WINNER - Win a Marmot Women's Trestles Elite 30

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Marmot Competition, 3 kbTo coincide with the launch of the new PFC-free Marmot Trestle Elite bags, Marmot are giving away one bag to a lucky UKC/UKH reader.

Read more
Sam Robbins 15 Jun 2017
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

The Article says -7.4C but that is not an option in the form
Sam Robbins 15 Jun 2017
In reply to Sam Robbins:

Nevermind, I misread the question
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

The blurb says "...lower limit -2.2C for guys and -7.4C for girls"

They want to sell these things to women but then helpfully refer to them as girls. Jesus.
 La benya 15 Jun 2017
In reply to Frank the Husky:
F*cking hell mate, there's bigger things to worry about in the battle for sexual equality than whether someone calls you a girl or a woman.
Do I get pissy if someone calls me a boy? Erm, na.
There's a meme for this... "did you just assume my gender?!"
Basically.... chill out.
Post edited at 19:00
In reply to La benya:
What are the bigger issues in sexual equality? Belittling women in a male dominated sport obviously isn't one of them.
Whether *you* get pissy if someone calls you a boy is irrelevant, and it demonstrates that you don't understand the question.
The "Did you just assume my gender" meme is a punchline used to mock feminists and the LGBTQ community, so what's your point?
As for your advice to "chill out" - what you're saying is "I'm not offended by this, so no one else should be either" which, again, shows that you don't understand the question.

Excellent arguments, obviously.
 Simon Caldwell 16 Jun 2017

Why is it belittling to be called a girl? I'm not belittled when I'm called a boy?
 La benya 16 Jun 2017

to echo the above question, what exactly is belittleing, in this example, by using the word Girl instead of women, to define a difference in product based on the different needs of the female half of the population?

its just picking a battle that doesn't need to be. chill out
 winhill 16 Jun 2017

> What are the bigger issues in sexual equality? Belittling women in a male dominated sport obviously isn't one of them.

I think it's a cultural thing rather than a belittling thing.

A lot of cultures refer to men as boys and women as girls, it's a tongue in cheek meme of the international youth cult.

You get football teams called Boys, even though they're professional men in their 30s, in South America and Europe.

A similar one is Joker, in the UK+US Joker is largely negative, the oddball Joker in the pack etc but in Holland and Germany you get cars, VW campers, tents etc called Joker as if it's a positive thing. Or the Boreal Joker shoe, which I've always thought was hideously unattractive to English ears.

If you ask a group who the comedian in the group is someone might step forwards but if you ask who the Joker is it's much less likely as the Joker would be seen as a mindless prankster.

Similarly I once worked for a company that bought a Spanish IT firm called Scorpion Computers (or some such) and it sounds horrific to UK ears as a Scorpion Deal in one with a sting in the tail, ie very attractive low upfront costs but much worse costs in later years. In Spain though it went down well as an aggressive company that punches well above it's weight, they loved it.

What it's got to do with 'male domination' is a different question.

dale__n 26 Jun 2017

Guys and girls
Ladies and gents
Men an women

Does it really matter? Do you not think you're blowing it out of proportion? I'd put money on it that the person who wrote the text never had it enter their mind. Leaving these childish debates to youtube and such and not let the venom spill over into this media.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...