/ Teachers and climbing holidays

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
shazza65 - on 17 Jun 2017
None of my climbing partners are teachers and so are not restricted to the school holidays . I can't expect them to arrange trips abroad around my dates (when it's more expensive to travel) and, equally, cannot get time off in term time to join them on theirs. I'm very keen to get away as often as possible so am hoping to get a group of climbing teachers together for trips particularly abroad... or to get to know about other groups that I could tag along with.
The Ivanator - on 17 Jun 2017
In reply to shazza65:

Well I'm a teacher who climbs (to a modest standard) and does the odd (mostly bolt-clipping these days) trip to Europe, not sure I'm in a financial position to consider any trips imminently, but would be good to be in the loop for future ventures.
JIMBO on 17 Jun 2017
In reply to shazza65:

As a teacher I also feel your pain.
Robert Durran - on 17 Jun 2017
In reply to JIMBO:

> As a teacher I also feel your pain.

Me too.
liamw100 - on 17 Jun 2017
In reply to shazza65:
I'm also a teacher and looking to climb in the Peak District

18 July- 5th August
21 August - 2 September
If you or any other teachers are not abroad then give me a shout

Thanks
baron - on 17 Jun 2017
In reply to shazza65:
Thought you lot spent all your holidays marking and preparing!
Good luck with your search.
Chris H - on 17 Jun 2017
In reply to shazza65:
Have u considered binning the teaching and doing a 9-5 job? Its what i did and whilst i dont get much holiday i use it to get cheap flights etc plus i dont spend it marking / planning.
Kevster - on 17 Jun 2017
In reply to Chris H:

Teaching sucks no?
islandlynx - on 18 Jun 2017
In reply to shazza65:

I'm also a teacher and have put out a similar post before too some affect. Now my wife and are going to have a baby though I'm probably more interested in meeting people with that in common.

Could be worth putting a facebook group together, better for communication once you Have your target audience.
Keep me in the loop.
TobyA on 18 Jun 2017
In reply to islandlynx:

How was Lofoten? Did you climb anything?

In reply to all:
Another teacher. Not looking for going on any trips abroad currently but if you are either visiting the Peak District or live around here and are looking for someone to climb with during the school holidays, I'm Sheffield based and may well be interested! Sensible, experienced and competent - if not actually very good. Grit, limestone, trad, sport - happy to give any combo a go.
shazza65 - on 18 Jun 2017
In reply to Chris H:

Many a time! What did you swap it for then?
In reply to islandlynx:

Good idea. Searched for any existing groups on fb but none that looked current.
In reply to shazza65:
Thanks all for comments. Maybe worth setting up a FB page? Let me know if interested. Cheers.
Post edited at 09:50
John Clinch (Ampthill) - on 18 Jun 2017
In reply to shazza65:

The simple solution is to have children and the send them to be students in parts of he country with good climbing. That way you can just text them and tell them when you need belaying

On balance this can work out quite expensive and takes a while to set up. There is also the risk of being out climbed by your off spring
ERU - on 18 Jun 2017
In reply to shazza65:

> Thanks all for comments. Maybe worth setting up a FB page? Let me know if interested. Cheers.

I like this idea.
In reply to John Clinch (Ampthill):

Done that ... Child at Sheffield uni .... Out climbed by a long way!!
Robert Durran - on 18 Jun 2017
In reply to islandlynx:

> Could be worth putting a facebook group together.

That is what I was thinking. Over the years I have probably average getting climbing sorted for only about 2/3 maximum of potential climbing time while having to turn down stuff fairly regularly during term time. I've always thought here must be other teachers similarly time rich but partner short.

birbeck - on 19 Jun 2017
In reply to shazza65:

Really good idea. I'd be interested in that.
John Clinch (Ampthill) - on 19 Jun 2017
In reply to shazza65:

Yep that is where my son is...
nutme - on 19 Jun 2017
One of my regular partners is a teacher. Generally Christamas is a best time to go with her. It's very easy to get climbing party on Mallorca for Christmas for example. I propably don't know anyone who would prefer late December in UK over Mediterranean. August in Alps works very well as well.
emma1987 - on 19 Jun 2017
In reply to shazza65:

I'm in
The Wild Scallion on 19 Jun 2017
In reply to shazza65:

> None of my climbing partners are teachers and so are not restricted to the school holidays . I can't expect them to arrange trips abroad around my dates (when it's more expensive to travel) and, equally, cannot get time off in term time to join them on theirs. I'm very keen to get away as often as possible so am hoping to get a group of climbing teachers together for trips particularly abroad... or to get to know about other groups that I could tag along with.

Not only teachers work these sorts of contracts. As senior support staff I'm off for 3 months of the year. And I get the bonus of not marking papers or homework the rest of the time.

Robert Durran - on 19 Jun 2017
In reply to nutme:

I often find Christmas a problem as a teacher. People reluctant to escape the festive stuff. I'd much prefer a long weekend at Christmas and a proper uninterrupted two week school holiday later.
slowmotion on 20 Jun 2017
In reply to Robert Durran:

Facebook group! If you make one and post it here I will join for sure. Just about to embark on my nqt year so not holding out fir much free time but any moment I have I will be climbing!
sihills - on 20 Jun 2017
In reply to shazza65:

another teacher here, keen for trips!
Morty - on 20 Jun 2017
In reply to slowmotion:

> Just about to embark on my nqt year so not holding out fir much free time but any moment I have I will be crying!

Fixed that for you.

liamw100 - on 21 Jun 2017
In reply to shazza65:

so will there be a facebook group?
shazza65 - on 22 Jun 2017
In reply to shazza65:
Thanks all for comments and interest. Anyone who emailed me, I can't reply as it only goes back to ukc . I have set up group on FB called Climbing teachers (sorry for the rubbish name but not feeling very creative tonight!) It is a closed group - for people who know better than me - is this the best way?
Would be good to get this going.
Post edited at 21:26
shazza65 - on 22 Jun 2017
In reply to The Wild Scallion:

Apologies, was not aimed at just teachers but anyone who is restricted to when they can have time off. Name of fb group maybe not great ... Open to suggestions!!
Luke90 on 23 Jun 2017
In reply to shazza65:

To make life easier for others, here's a link:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/331897460622878/

Hope you don't mind. Happy to delete it if you didn't intend to give a direct link.
Robert Durran - on 23 Jun 2017
In reply to shazza65:

> I have set up group on FB called Climbing teachers.

Excelllent! Good work. I've requested to join.

I'm not sure the picture at the top is very inspiring though..........
shazza65 - on 23 Jun 2017
In reply to Luke90:

Good idea
liamw100 - on 23 Jun 2017
In reply to shazza65:

I have requested to join! Great idea!
The Wild Scallion on 23 Jun 2017
In reply to shazza65:

No worries. Just thought I'd mention it.

I struggle to find folk to do stuff with when I'm off work but I don't use fb.

TWS

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.