/ Alsaka

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
team fat belly - on 18 Jun 2017
Does anyone know how realistic a 2 week trip to Alaska is in terms of cost and weather windows is. Aiming to climb mount Huntington so acclimatisation should be less if an issue.
Mr. K - on 18 Jun 2017
In reply to team fat belly:

To be honest, unless you're incredibly lucky that's not going to work. The weather on the Tokositna glacier is unstable and unpredictable even by Alaskan standards. It's so expensive to get over there in the first place so I'd say a 3-4 week trip is going to give you a much better cost/fun ratio. We were trying the Harvard Route on Huntingdon last year and didn't get past The Spiral due to bad weather. We then had to wait four days for a tiny weather window to get a bump flight out and over to Kahiltna where the weather was much nicer. Huntingdon is an amazing Mountain but when I go back for round two we'll go hang out on the Kahiltna where there's other objectives and get a bump flight into the Tok for a smash and grab if one of these fabled weather windows appear.
veteye on 18 Jun 2017
In reply to Mr. K:

Not got a map in front of me and it is 12 years since I was in Alaska, but isn't Moonflower Buttress etc done off the S.E. Kahiltna glacier?Or is my geography wrong?
Ian Parsons - on 18 Jun 2017
In reply to veteye:

You're thinking of Hunter.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Mr. K - on 18 Jun 2017
In reply to veteye:

The Moonflower buttress is on the side of Mt Hunter above the Kahiltna airstrip. You do the routes on Huntingdon from the Tokositna glacier which is the other side of Mt Hunter and up that valley.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.