UKC

INTERVIEW: Andy Pollitt & 'Big' Ron Fawcett

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 19 Jun 2017
Ron Fawcett, 3 kbAndy Pollitt passes the microphone to one of Britain's biggest climbing legends - 'Big' Ron Fawcett.

Read more
 TheGeneralist 19 Jun 2017
In reply to UKC Articles:

> Andy Pollitt passes the microphone to one of Britain's biggest climbing legends..

except he doesn't. He just drones on about how he did this and that and nearly did the other. Would have been nice if he actually allowed Ron to get a word in edgeways.

Please can we have an actual article about R Fawcett?

Wft 19 Jun 2017
In reply to TheGeneralist:

I think you're concept of 'drones on' is different from mine...

Nice one Ron and Andy
 spidermonkey09 19 Jun 2017

Its all a question of style, and don't get me wrong I still think that was worth reading...but found that piece a little too much like one long plug for AP's book (which I've heard only good things about for what it worth) and less about Ron. I'd be keen for an article on both, but think in this instance Andy might have gone a little too far down the 'Paxman route' during the election...a bit of a self-parody. Hope that comes across OK, because I don't mean any disrespect- but Andy has nothing to prove to anyone and this article came across the wrong way, like an interviewer interviewing himself.
 Andy Johnson 19 Jun 2017

Nice interview. Ron's autobiography "Ron Fawcett - Rock Athlete" is a good read.
The way Ron warms up on the Wasp circuit at the ClimbingWorks looks a bit more than 'pottering about' Nice one Ron and Andy.
 Mark Collins 19 Jun 2017

I like this series of interviews, they bring something different, a couple of old mates chatting. An insight into the past, which you don't necessarily get with a contemporary journalist interviewing whoever.
 spidermonkey09 19 Jun 2017
In reply to Mark Collins:

Thats very true. I guess i thought in this one the conversation was actually AP chatting and Ron talking about something completely different for considerably less time!
 Will Hunt 19 Jun 2017

Andy Pollitt interviews Andy Pollitt on Andy Pollitt and Ron Fawcett (feat. Ron Fawcett).

(Sorry, Andy. Regardless of whether Ron got a word in edgeways, I enjoyed reading it.)
 Chris the Tall 19 Jun 2017
In reply to TheGeneralist:

I think it's fair to say Ron is both taciturn and modest - easy to chat to, but if you didn't know you wouldn't guess he was probably the best climber in the world for around a decade.

I think when Pollitt, Moffat, Moon etc came along there was more competition so they had to shout a bit louder -plus they were more outgoing from the start.
 Shani 19 Jun 2017
In reply to Will Hunt:

> (Sorry, Andy. Regardless of whether Ron got a word in edgeways, I enjoyed reading it.)

Ron only ever puts words in edgeways; he is double-quiet. As with his climbing, the smaller the edges the happier he is.
On, leftward cat!
 scot1 19 Jun 2017

It's great to hear Rons words but a bit of a shame to see Andy becoming an attention whore. I wish Andy could relax into his age and not have a crisis about his own considerable achievements so publicly.
xyz 19 Jun 2017

These guy's were my heroes in the 80's and still are to be honest and as such I really don't care how the article was phrased because just hearing Andy or Ron talk/chat/write is a bonus and good enough for me - great stuff!
In reply to scot1:

These Interviews by AP, just like the respective autobiographies really reflect the personalities. Jerry being Jerry, Andy being Andy, and Ron being a modest and self-effacing Ron.
Good for them!
Paul
 AP Melbourne 20 Jun 2017
In reply to all the dislikers; Ron is *extremely* modest and with all due (and deserved) respect to his greatness as a climber and as a Top Bloke and personal friend it was difficult to extract more than the briefest of answers and certain Qs were simply not answered at all. The invitation - as usual, was also extended for subject matter coming back the other way and on this occasion I drew a blank.
These interviews are meant to be no more than a little reminiscent fun and 'the microphone' or opportunity lies solely with the interviewee to fill in the gaps and make up the allotted word count.
I can take the personal slights as am old & daft enough but make no apology whatsoever for mentioning and showing our books as to many of us (can't really talk for the others) I'm as proud of mine as any silly new route put up.
BTW; The next two are with a *right* pair pair of chatterboxes.
Cheers,
AP.
 planetmarshall 20 Jun 2017
In reply to AP Melbourne:

You've written a book?
 progrupicola 20 Jun 2017
Happywithwhatyouhavetobehappywith....err no weak steve book...that's a shamie
Post edited at 11:21
 Michael Hood 20 Jun 2017
In reply to planetmarshall:

> You've written a book?

I'm unable to tell whether you're being sarcastic (which is fine) or ignorant (in which case you need to look at a bit of climbing history from the 80s and see what AP used to do).

For those who don't know and can't be bothered to look - putting it into a football scenario - AP would have been a premiership player and regular in the England team but probably would have been just short of making a world XI.

And if you've not read his book then you should, it's one of the best of the recent climbing autobiogs, feels much more raw and unsterilized (in a good way) than the others.
Kim Carrigan 20 Jun 2017

Great insights from young Ron. Looking forward to Andy's next article.
 lithos 20 Jun 2017
In reply to Michael Hood:

> For those who don't know and can't be bothered to look - putting it into a football scenario - AP would have been a premiership player and regular in the England team but probably would have been just short of making a world XI.

England team - you may want to rethink that

Steve Ashton 20 Jun 2017

You did well to get any blood from the self-effacing stone that is Ron Fawcett. I've read and enjoyed each of your interview pieces - good antidote to anodyne journalism - and am looking forward to the next.

Keep it up - good stuff.

PS: Did you lose your union jack ski hat? (Tremadog 1980/81) I don't see it in any of the pics above...
 TheGeneralist 20 Jun 2017

Fair response to my somewhat prickly post.

Good luck with the book.
 Tyler 20 Jun 2017
In reply to Kim Carrigan:

> Great insights from young Ron. Looking forward to Andy's next article.

If you are 'the' Kim Carrigan and you are the chatterbox AP referred to, then so am I
 Shani 20 Jun 2017

> For those who don't know and can't be bothered to look - putting it into a football scenario - AP would have been a premiership player and regular in the England team but probably would have been just short of making a world XI.

Football? Meh! I think we need to look at motor racing. AP would be more of a Barrie Sheen or James Hunt.
 steveriley 20 Jun 2017
In reply to Tyler:

> If you are 'the' Kim Carrigan and you are the chatterbox AP referred to, then so am I

Me too. I bought a pair of rock boots off Kim in a Welsh hut car park in the 80s and can conclusively state that they added a full grade to my climbing. So thanks for that
 AP Melbourne 20 Jun 2017
In reply to Kim Carrigan:

> Great insights from young Ron. Looking forward to Andy's next article.

Flippin' eck Kim I thought it was our secret!
 wynaptomos 20 Jun 2017
In reply to lithos:

> England team - you may want to rethink that

I think you'll find that AP would have been lining up next to Mark Hughes and Rushie.............
 defaid 20 Jun 2017

I'm tempted to flame about the relative ages of the interviewees and the dislikers but to be honest it's just really pleasant to find my schooldays heroes sitting and chatting.

Has Ron still got those extra-thick socks?
Removed User 20 Jun 2017

But a cup holder in the tabloid headline stakes
Post edited at 17:16
 FactorXXX 20 Jun 2017
In reply to Removed UserStuart en Écosse:

But a cup holder in the tabloid headline stakes

A page 3 cup holder...
 Michael Hood 20 Jun 2017
In reply to Shani: Yep, I think that might be a better analogy.

Michael Hood 20 Jun 2017
In reply to lithos: > England team - you may want to rethink that

You're right, should be the Welsh team
 jon 20 Jun 2017
In reply to AP Melbourne and Kim:

Oh, well engineered boys!

Karl Bromelow 20 Jun 2017
Wow! That was quick! The lizard guy will be miffed!
Post edited at 23:16
 simoninger 21 Jun 2017

Except in those days the Welsh team wasn't quite so worth being in as it is now, so Andy Footballer may have chosen his lineage carefully.
 AP Melbourne 21 Jun 2017
In reply to progrupicola:

> Happywithwhatyouhavetobehappywith....err no weak steve book...that's a shamie

'Weak Steve's' sold. We didn't progrupicola! (insert smilies,,,,).

progrupicola 21 Jun 2017

It was meant for the haters loving the series & bios.
Didn't know Steve's was such a good seller! glad I rushed for my copy then ,
Keep on!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...