/ Honnold Declines an El Cap First

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Shani - on 20 Jun 2017
'The Nose' has just had its first naked ascent. Honnold (understandably) declined the offer.

http://scmp.com/sport/article/2099099/leah-pappajohn-climbed-el-capitan-naked-hardest-part-was-findi...
The Wild Scallion on 20 Jun 2017
In reply to Shani:

> 'The Nose' has just had its first naked ascent. Honnold (understandably) declined the offer.

Whatever next ?

My personal claim is that I've NOT climbed El Cap. Now that's impressive

;-)
henwardian - on 20 Jun 2017
In reply to The Wild Scallion:

> Whatever next ?

> My personal claim is that I've NOT climbed El Cap. Now that's impressive

> ;-)

Sorry, my non-ascent precedes your own, you can't claim a first non-ascent.
Rampikino - on 20 Jun 2017
In reply to henwardian:

I'm older than you, so I didn't climb it before you didn't climb it.

(What a bullsh*t reason to start a post.)
Shani - on 20 Jun 2017
In reply to Rampikino:

That depends on who didn't start climbing first, surely?
henwardian - on 20 Jun 2017
In reply to Rampikino:

I come from a long and distinguished line of non-elcapers and claim the first non-ascent in a genealogical manner.
The Wild Scallion on 20 Jun 2017
In reply to Shani:

> That depends on who didn't start climbing first, surely?

I'd say I can't be held accountable or subject to things that people didn't do before me due to not being born .
So I still claim my first non ascent (from my point of view).

It was pretty spectacular , I didn't look at the rock , palms sweating in anticipation of not climbing it . It was tremendous .

wilkie14c - on 20 Jun 2017
peppermill - on 20 Jun 2017
In reply to Shani:

Given the effect Yosemite Granite had on my hands and forearms, climbing El Cap starkers brings more than a tear to the eye.
JimR - on 21 Jun 2017
In reply to Shani:

Maybe she should try Savage Slit next?
Shani - on 21 Jun 2017
In reply to JimR:

I'm holding your coat! ;)
kipper12 - on 21 Jun 2017
In reply to peppermill:

Its not your eyes you need worry about, still on the plus side, a 5th point of contact is available!!!!!!!
Toerag - on 21 Jun 2017
In reply to kipper12:
> Its not your eyes you need worry about, still on the plus side, a 5th point of contact is available!!!!!!!

This could bring in gender-specific grades...."gain a rest using a good knob jam" ..........."the arete is easier with a couple of good clunge sucks"
Post edited at 12:56
Shani - on 21 Jun 2017
In reply to Toerag:

> This could bring in gender-specific grades...."gain a rest using a good knob jam" ..........."the arete is easier with a couple of good clunge sucks"

I suspect the ability to 'knob-jam' or 'chunk-lock' would reduce the likes of London Wall from E5 to E3.
stp - on 21 Jun 2017
In reply to Shani:

Interesting, don't hear much about naked ascents much these days - is it something that's gone out of vogue?
bouldery bits - on 21 Jun 2017
In reply to Shani:

Not only have I not ascended El Cap, I haven't even tried.
john arran - on 21 Jun 2017
In reply to stp:

> Interesting, don't hear much about naked ascents much these days - is it something that's gone out of vogue?

The western world has definitely moved in a puritanical direction these last few decades. Maybe not yet to a worrying extent, but definitely noticeable.
Shani - on 21 Jun 2017
In reply to stp:

Wasn't there a route done naked apart from boxing gloves and rollerskates with a rope around 'tackle'? Quietus on Stanage, possibly?
Pilo - on 21 Jun 2017
In reply to Toerag:

It made me wonder and think of the Naga babas who on a regular basis will hang 50kg wieghts from the 'lingam'! SO there is no reason why a 'knob jam rest' and shake out wouldn't be possible in theory (lingam rubber protection optional) Ouch. Cringe, I know.
Sean Kelly - on 21 Jun 2017
In reply to Shani:

Time to tackle the Naked Edge perhaps?
John2 - on 21 Jun 2017
In reply to Shani:

You are conflating Ray McHaffie's clothed ascent of Little Chamonix in roller skates and boxing gloves and John Redhead's naked top rope of a hard slate route with the rope tied round his balls. Quietus was nothing to do with either.
kipper12 - on 21 Jun 2017
In reply to Pilo:

Depends size of the gear available and the routh
Pilo - on 21 Jun 2017
In reply to kipper12:

A real 'No hands knob rest' without feet would be insane and only for true naga baba (without belly). They are almost strong enough and practise daily!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-ooxBb0yMc

This was in Sheffield?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.