UKC

Why is Philip Hammond......

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tyler 20 Jun 2017
....not being talked about as a Tory leadership contender? From what I can see the front runners are Johnson (popular with people who don't follow politics, like Trump but cleverer), Davis (hard line Brexiter) and Rudd (like May was supposed to be). Hammond seems a bit more moderate than them and with less baggage and, as the Tories took a shoeing for not being in touch with the people, his less in your face, anti-austerity (up to a point) leanings would surely make him the best leader for the Tories to appease an angry electorate?
 dread-i 20 Jun 2017
In reply to Tyler:

Perhaps he needs to state: "I'm not going to stand for the leadership role", more frequently. That would give him enough credibility in order to stand for the role.
 MG 20 Jun 2017
In reply to Tyler:

I think you are right - he is angling for the position. He seems to be going out of his way to criticise (politely) both May's election campaign and brexit approach. No idea what his standing in the party is but I wouldn't mind seeing him take over - he seems to pass the (depressingly low) required hurdles of not being an ideological zealot, and not obviously incompetent. Mind you, May appeared to do that too, until she became PM.
 wynaptomos 20 Jun 2017
In reply to Tyler:
I think your description of Hammond being moderate is the most applicable here. He is just seen as far too moderate and a remainer by the hard line brexiteers who seem to be holding sway in the party these days.Agree with you in general though, I think he is one which the wider electorate could support.
 The New NickB 20 Jun 2017
In reply to MG:

6 years of observing May as Home Secretary didn't really fill me with confidence with regard to her competence or lack of zealotry.
 neilh 20 Jun 2017
In reply to Tyler:

He has now been Foreign secretary as well as Chancellor. Each time is a step up.

Clearly he has by now considerable experience of running the top offices.

Ideal. But how would he take on the messiah, JC?
 ballsac 20 Jun 2017
In reply to Tyler:

It's probably three issues - his 'moderateness' means he doesn't attract media attention, his lack of BREXIT appetite, and that he was associated with May as being the 'pair of grown-ups'.

I like him, he was a very good Defence Secretary who grasped both detail and numbers - he was also very highly regarded by the CS in the Foreign Office...

If it weren't for his slightly 'grey man' thing he'd be not just the top choice, but the only choice - in the last seven years he's been cheif secretary to the treasury, Transport Secretary, Defence Secretary, Foreign Secretary and Chancellor - if that doesn't qualify as being a Big Beast, what does?
 neilh 20 Jun 2017
In reply to ballsac:
An accountant by training. We are well and truly in the world of lawyers and accountants.

Far too logical a choice .

No passion is the issue. Typical accountant in that respect. Has he a feel so to speak for social issues?
Post edited at 17:13
 FactorXXX 20 Jun 2017
In reply to neilh:

No passion is the issue. Typical accountant in that respect. Has he a feel so to speak for social issues?

Maybe he could be a real politician who speaks the truth in an honest and open fashion? The sort that would be a breath of fresh air and be an antidote to modern politicians with their flash presentations and TV appearances.
Now where have I heard that before and only quite recently...
Jim C 20 Jun 2017
In reply to ballsac:

> If it weren't for his slightly 'grey man' thing he'd be not just the top choice, but the only choice .

Remember John Major, the 'grey man' who turned out was a bit of a dark horse who had a bit of spice on the side.
In reply to Jim C:

> a bit of spice on the side.

Nice pun, assuming you mean Edwina Currie ?

Jim C 20 Jun 2017
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

> Nice pun, assuming you mean Edwina Currie ?

The very lady.
 Rob Exile Ward 20 Jun 2017
In reply to Tyler:

I've been wondering whether he can't be a*sed. Or, to put it more politely, it's a bit of a poisoned chalice at the moment.
 ballsac 21 Jun 2017
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

There was talk of him running last year, but he quickly threw his hat onto Mays hatstand instead.

I wouldn't be surprised if he emerged as the 'anyone but Boris' candidate when May goes, or indeed when Mays replacement goes. Boris isn't liked by the PCP nearly as much as his friends tell the media he is, and his performance as FS has been somewhat less than stellar - Hammond on the other hand is both liked and respected, and he gained a great deal of sympathy from Tory MP's over the way May tried to hang the NI rise shambles around his neck. They also liked how he took it with humble pie and did his duty as fall guy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...