UKC

Recommend me a robust family tent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 HP 21 Jun 2017
Thinking of taking my family camping so I'm looking for a big tent that could stand up to some weather. There seems to be a huge jump up in price for mountain tents as opposed to car camping tents. Thinking of a Terra Nova Hyperspace, Terra Firma or something like that. Has anyone found any bargains?
 Dave the Rave 21 Jun 2017
In reply to HP:

Depends where you intend camping.
Out well tents are very robust.
 Andrew Wilson 21 Jun 2017
In reply to HP:

I have a Robens Vista 600. Very good quality, very big, and very quick and easy to pitch. Almost freestanding.
Not cheap mind.

Andy
 ripper 21 Jun 2017
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> Depends where you intend camping.

> Out well tents are very robust.

Agree - have been on sites in rough weather where many other tents have been flattened but the Outwells always seem ok.
 somethingelse 22 Jun 2017
In reply to ripper:

Hypercamp eldorado from obelink. Too heavy and bulky to carry further than couple of hundred meters from the car, but then so are most 'family' tents, and this is as strong as any other tent except low level mountain tents id say. reckon stronger than the outwell types and dead easy to pitch. can get bigger pyramid tents from that site too but then they start getting really heavy and difficult to dry at home unless you have a big garden

https://www.obelink.co.uk/eldorado.html
 marsbar 22 Jun 2017
In reply to HP:

Do you want a car camping tent that is ok in bad weather? I'm not clear sorry.

I have found Vango to be good in wind and rain, even the giant family size one. They have tension bands for extra support.
 angry pirate 22 Jun 2017
In reply to HP:

Not sure if they're made anymore but the old Khyam Ridgidome tents are nigh indestructible.
Mine is twelve years old now and has seen lots of weather. It won a game of last tent standing on a camp site when a hurricane blew through North Wales some years ago.
Down side is that it is huge and heavy when packed but it pitches in a few minutes and the XL model I have fits a family of four nicely
 Rog Wilko 22 Jun 2017
In reply to HP:

I've done very little camping over the last decade or so but we had an excellent Hilleberg tent for many years. It kept us snug in some appalling weather. It was costly, but we never regretted buying it. The materials and build quality were outstanding.
OP HP 23 Jun 2017
In reply to marsbar:

Really I'm after a roomy 3-4 season tent that would be good for (a little bit) wild car camping. I've looked at things like Hillberg, MH Trango 4, TNF VE 25, Alpkit's ones but they all seem so expensive. How can a 2 pole tent such as this:

http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/tents/1004-apollo-500.html

..cost £160 when you just add 2 more poles and the price goes up over £500?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...