UKC

NEWS: Updates to Destination Articles and Logbook Pages on UKC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 23 Jun 2017
Destination Article News, 4 kbOver the last few days the UKC development team has been putting the finishing touches to a few new features. Here's a bit of a run down as to the changes made.

Read more
 Mike-W-99 23 Jun 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Thanks for the work put in on this.

I moderate a local sea cliff. Is it possible to get the tide table retro fitted to it?
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Which crag is that?
 Mike-W-99 23 Jun 2017
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Hawkcraig

This one, we normally check rosyth or burntisland for the tides.
 Wft 23 Jun 2017
In reply to UKC News:

brilliant, thanks for the effort all
 Toerag 23 Jun 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Tides look OK for my patch, although the '12am' time on the axis would be better set as 'noon' or 'midnight' (whichever it is) to remove ambiguity.
 bensilvestre 23 Jun 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Great useful features
 Ramon Marin 23 Jun 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Just brilliant!
 Paul Figg 23 Jun 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Simple and neat. Fab
In reply to UKC News: That's much, much better, far more useful than ever before.

One error I noticed was that this crag (Dolomites) https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=4680

is tagged on the map as being in Somalia...not that anyone would get confused...

rlrs 23 Jun 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Very nice feature, note that Lake Annecy and Vallorcine aren't in the right place on the map.
 Mike-W-99 23 Jun 2017
Thanks Paul, is it all manual to do this only the nearby inland crag of Limekilns seems to have acquired one now as well.
Post edited at 19:34
 John H Bull 23 Jun 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Really useful stuff - great effort!
 John H Bull 23 Jun 2017
In reply to Frank the Husky:
On a similar note, Wadi Rum is tagged in the French Alps...
In reply to UKC News:

Great stuff!! Paul, as ever, I salute you and your massive intelligence!

Dunc
 jon 23 Jun 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Excellent features. Any chance of adding a tide table to The Burren?
 Coel Hellier 23 Jun 2017
In reply to UKC News:

> the Mountain Conditions Page [...] features of heatmap of where things have been climbed,

The lists of ascents count entries in logbooks so if both people in a pair log it then it gets flagged as "two ascents".
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Hi Mike, the weather and tide data is grouped into areas with a radius of 20 miles. If any crag in a weather area is set to Tidal (altitude=0) then the tidal data gets fetched for those coordinates next time the weather is updated, which is roughly every 4 hours. When you view a crag with an altitude under 25m and there's tidal data then the Tide tab gets shown.

So basically, you just need to set the altitude of one of the local crags to zero, wait a bit for system to update the local weather and then it should show on that and any local crag page.

Cheers, Paul.
In reply to Frank the Husky:

Sorted
In reply to John H Bull:

Sorted that one too.
In reply to Duncan Campbell:

Cheers Dunc It wasn't just me.
 Offwidth 24 Jun 2017

Really good stuff. You might need mixed colour markers for where the venues are equally focussed on two (or more) aspects (like say the Earl Crag article or Slipstones as a 'crag)
 Kristof252 25 Jun 2017
In reply to UKC News:

How about including the guidebook topos and paying something back to the climbing community in your next update? Just a thought
In reply to Kristof252:

> How about including the guidebook topos and paying something back to the climbing community in your next update?

I think most of the destination articles mention the relevant guidebooks. Do you mean sell these books from the destination articles? Or do you mean actually including topos from local guidebooks?

Alan
 thomaspomfrett 26 Jun 2017
In reply to UKC News:

The location of the pins seems to be way out in my neck of the woods. Almscliff is appearing in the middle of York!

That issue aside, awesome work! This is a brilliant feature.
In reply to thomaspomfrett:

> The location of the pins seems to be way out in my neck of the woods. Almscliff is appearing in the middle of York!

Thanks for pointing that out. That article had been tagged as just a general North Yorkshire article. I've changed it now to be tagged as an Almscliff article. There are probably a few others with this issue that will be sorted out over time.

It was tiring work for our editors sifting through 300+ articles and tagging them appropriately.

KA 02 Jul 2017
In reply to UKC News:

I may well be getting confused, but was there an Alpine Conditions (listing recently logged alpine climbs) page within the Logbooks section of the site last year?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...