UKC

New routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trevorek 23 Jun 2017
Hi I was climbing earlier this month at Lizard point Cornwall, doing pen plover slab, we did mile end first and then blind pew, the tide was coming in so my partner belay from the top, I decided to climb up from a new point and realised after there is no rout name for were I climbed. I climb directly up between 3 and 4 to were they both meat, if in fact this can be named, I would like it to be named (Joanna's steps) the grade is (Mod)
 deacondeacon 23 Jun 2017
In reply to Trevorek:

Well you'll have to lead it first
 alx 23 Jun 2017
In reply to Trevorek:

Guidebooks tend to only note the first free ascent unless previously it was a notable aid route
 phil456 25 Jun 2017
In reply to Trevorek:

If you write a good description and post a photo tops on UKC, that earns you the right to name the route.

First Ascentionist is dubious on a TR, but who will complain on a Mod graded route, you can always list it as unknown.

bpmclimb 26 Jun 2017
In reply to phil456:

> If you write a good description and post a photo tops on UKC, that earns you the right to name the route.

Does it? I don't think so. FWIW I'd be reluctant to give it any sort of distinctive, inventive name after just a top rope ascent - I'd wait until I'd led it. If I couldn't go back and lead it for some reason, but felt it really had to go into the UKC database without delay for some reason (what reason would that be, I wonder), I'd give it a provisional name like "The line R of ....." and make it very clear that I wasn't claiming a first ascent.

> First Ascentionist is dubious on a TR, but who will complain on a Mod graded route, you can always list it as unknown.

It's simpler than that: a TR doesn't count as a first ascent; it doesn't make any difference whether it's a Mod or an E10.
 Billhook 27 Jun 2017
In reply to Trevorek:

Sorry |Trevor, but what a laugh!!

Its in a popular climbing area - and its graded at moderate. You didn't even lead it.

I've seen people climb/scramble down that route to start routes! And you really, really think that a moderate route in that area has only just had a 1st ascent??
Andy Gamisou 27 Jun 2017
In reply to Trevorek:

You can name it, but the convention is that such routes (TR FAs, low grade) are all named "Gerald". This is so we all know routes called "Gerald" can be renamed should someone pluck up the courage to have a go on lead.

Nice troll btw
 Offwidth 27 Jun 2017
In reply to Dave Perry:

This is on a beginners forum: please watch the tone. The guy is clearly inexperienced, excited about his climbing and unaware of standard FA protocols. The enthusiasm seems to me to be be as much about recording whats there as claiming any glory. I'd add that good mods are too often ignored by some guidebook editors.
Andy Gamisou 27 Jun 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

> This is on a beginners forum: please watch the tone. The guy is clearly inexperienced ....

Maybe, in which case I'd rescind my troll suggestion. On the other hand he seems to have onsighted 6c+ and led hvs 5a - which I'd suggest is pretty good going for a newbie.

Offwidth 27 Jun 2017
In reply to Scotch Bingington:

Its clearly in the rules for this particular forum. These rules are important so those newer climbers who are unsure if their question is OK have a safe space instead of getting flamed by regulars who should know better.
 john arran 27 Jun 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

Strange that he's not replied though. A shame, since it would have been one of the finer fishing posts, had it not been had the bad form to have been posted in the rookie forum.
 Offwidth 27 Jun 2017
In reply to john arran:

I'm sure some posts are trolls but this looks more like someone posting on someone else's account as a joke to me.
OP Trevorek 06 Jul 2017
In reply to Dave Perry:

Well I'm not apologetic at all Dave Perry it was a simple statement from a new climber that's trying to learn, I appreciate all the other comment from the other climbers but I find you ignorant and insulting so please refrain from any more comments..
 Offwidth 07 Jul 2017
In reply to Trevorek:

Please ignore the dislikes, UKC has quite a few posters who behave like naughty children. As I said above, this forum is a place that should be safe to ask questions and the vast majority of adult climbers here understand that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...