UKC

Is it possible to live these days without a smartphone?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Ice Doctor 23 Jun 2017
In this modern techhie world I just wonder if it is possible to live and function without a smartphone.

Without one life seems difficult, as so much seems to revolve around their use.

Is life without a smartphone actually possible? Have you living proof?
 Dax H 23 Jun 2017
In reply to The Ice Doctor:

Father in law gets by without one okay.
I get by for 10 days without one when I go on holiday and turn it off.
 IPPurewater 23 Jun 2017

I get by fine without one. I do use a PC a fair bit though.

I've even stopped looking at the weather forecast online and gone back to looking at the clouds and my watch barometer, like I used to do before the internet. My forecast is usually as good as the online one for the next 4 to 6 hours !
pasbury 23 Jun 2017

I've got an old Nokia and I am alive.
 gribble 23 Jun 2017

My last smartphone was way smarter than me. I found I couldn't use one, or in fact need one.
 Chris Harris 23 Jun 2017

Never had one.
abseil 23 Jun 2017
In reply to Chris Harris:

> Never had one.

Me too. Mrs. Abseil has one, but I don't use it - I don't need to. I know what she uses it for, and find that I don't need one myself.
 felt 23 Jun 2017

Never had one. Don't have a mobile either. A computer's bad enough.
 Heike 23 Jun 2017

I think it would be possible ...unless you have children. Our school just removed all communication with parents (newsletters, websites, text messages etc) to be replaced by a smart phone app. I thought that was a bit presumptuous as not everyone has or can afford one or knows how to use one. I saw evidence of this on the playground. Apart from that, I think you can live happily without one if you wish to do so!
 felt 23 Jun 2017
In reply to Heike:

I've got kids. It's no problem, honestly!
 Heike 23 Jun 2017
In reply to felt:
Fine with me, I don't need one, unless the school makes all communication based on a smart phone app... as they did. If you don't have it, you won't know about trips/ events / requirements of what needs to be taken to school / homework / etc. Basically you are stuffed ( as a parent). It's all on the app. ...and nowhere else.
Post edited at 20:59
 Timmd 23 Jun 2017
I don't have one, but can find that people will send me things which aren't readable with my £20 when new Nokia phone, and I sometimes get lost and have to ask for directions instead of looking on my smart phone, some of the time helped out by people who look on their smart phone.

I'm pondering getting one, but it's nice not to be connected to the internet, a simple phone possibly makes me look around a little bit...
Post edited at 21:05
Moley 23 Jun 2017

No smart phone, no mobile phone, rarely wear a watch but know when the pub opens. Still alive....... or gone to heaven.
 Doug 23 Jun 2017

only have a 'stupid' phone, but mostly travel with a small laptop
 Rog Wilko 23 Jun 2017

I don't have one, but my wife does, so I'm not completely cut off.
The main problem associated with being without one as far as I'm concerned is if you are going abroad with your vehicle and you use the Dartford Crossing on the way to Dover you will get home and find you've been fined for non payment.
 birdie num num 23 Jun 2017

All these folk on here that smugly declare: "never had one" have never lived
 john arran 23 Jun 2017

Why would you want to live without the most useful tool in the box? It does so many useful things it's almost a miracle. You just need to be able to use it on your terms and not get obsessed with checking it every free moment.
 Robert Durran 23 Jun 2017
In reply to birdie num num:
> All these folk on here that smugly declare: "never had one" have never lived

Or maybe they are living more for real and less virtually.

I have one, but could easily live without (when my last one died, I went back to a £10 phone from Asda for a year and survived fine - I only got another because I discovered I was due a free upgrade, which I declined in favour of a lighter equivalent one).
Post edited at 22:08
Lusk 23 Jun 2017

The 'Track your nearest copper' app is invaluable.
 Siward 23 Jun 2017
In reply to john arran:

Closest thing we have to an Iain Banks/Culture terminal. A way to go yet though.

https://tinyurl.com/yaasje95
 birdie num num 23 Jun 2017
In reply to Robert Durran:

Pah! You cant snapchat a self destructing image of 'last turkey in the shop' on a £10 Asda phone. What sort of life is that? Sheer misery
 felt 23 Jun 2017
In reply to john arran:

> You just need to be able to use it on your terms and not get obsessed with checking it every free moment.

How's that going for y'all!

It's like that heroin ad in the 80s. . . . 'Just got a bit of a cold!'
 felt 23 Jun 2017
In reply to Heike:

Fair enough. If that were me I'd complain and insist on a print-out.
 wintertree 24 Jun 2017
In reply to Heike:

You need to communicate very clearly to everyone involved in this decision what total f-----g numpties they are.

Also find out which of the teacher's or local councillor's relatives is a mobile app developer....

This sounds like exactly the kind of pointless app, that just works like a bog standard website, that really annoys me when it's the only option for something.

You need some rage...
Post edited at 00:22
 radddogg 24 Jun 2017

Of course we could live without one but why would anyone choose to?

Our club has been enjoying greater numbers than ever at its meets due to the Facebook group, events and collaborating on meet reports, sharing pictures, tagging individuals etc. It's creating a buzz and getting people involved that normally wouldn't and also attracting newcomers. And that's just social media.

We also rely on weather apps for last minute changes in venue. I log all my climbs on UKC in the pub afterwards on my phone.

In writing this message on my phone. I wouldn't be bothered to fire up a PC and sit at it to read UKC forums.

So if you think you're better than everyone else because you've never had a smartphone, give your head a wobble, maybe you're not so smart.
 1234None 24 Jun 2017

I've not got one, despite now working in the sort of job where I'd normally be expected to have one. Not having one gives me more breathing space, as those I work with know I check emails/phone messages only once per day. When I have owned and used a smartphone, I've found it a distraction and a hindrance rather than a useful tool. Yes, at times, it'd be convenient to have all those features on one device at my fingertips, but for me the downsides far outweigh the benefits. Many who own them end up with them permanently in their hand, checking them constantly, even on the table at dinner or "multi-tasking," texting while taking part in a conversation. Lots of the apps and tools are purpose-built to capture one's attention, so it inevitably ends up being a focus of attention more than anyone intends. Food, water and shelter are essential...a smartphone definitely isn't in the same category.
 Dax H 24 Jun 2017

Interesting thread and I am going to expand on my first post.
As a few others have said, why wouldn't you want one of the most powerful tools in the box available.

My job would be very difficult without one.
I have hundreds of technical manuals on mine for the different machines I look after. (they would fill my van on paper)
A conversion app that I use to convert pressure and flow rates.
A calculator.
A database of the make, model, serial number, kW, spares needed and every job carried out for every machine I look after.
A camera
Email
Mobile Internet (useful for finding info on the odd machine I don't have a book for or as was the case yesterday I was in the field and needed to find a local supplier)
Google maps (sewage works are in spurious locations, once close you can often see them on Google maps)
Multi user calendar app, all my jobs and all my lads jobs and bookings available at the finger tips.
I'm sure I use it for other things too.

Personal life.
Internet access. (mainly forums)
Camera.
Imdb app
An app for a play station game I play.
Occasionally Google map's but if I'm not working I'm on my bike and getting lost on a bike is half the fun.

If I stopped working I would ditch the smart phone tomorrow and just have a small tablet to use at home and a compact camera in my pocket when out but from a work point of view, especially when you run the business from out in the field it's invaluable.
Yes before anyone says it businesses have run for years without smart phones but customer expectations have moved with the technology and if you can't react almost instantly they will move to someone who can.
J1234 24 Jun 2017
In reply to john arran:

> Why would you want to live without the most useful tool in the box? It does so many useful things it's almost a miracle. You just need to be able to use it on your terms and not get obsessed with checking it every free moment.

Here I go blowing smoke up your arse again. Your a highly intelligent and disciplined chap, and your first line is spot on, but your last ignores the sight of half the world walking around transfixed by the things, just totally disengaged with what is going on around them, because many people are not intelligent nor disciplined.
 BnB 24 Jun 2017

It's fair to say the Corbyn bounce depended on smartphone access for all (young voters).

Well done to all those who manage with a basic phone (or none). I couldn't possibly function without my smartphone. But then I work in IT.

For all that makes me accustomed to technological innovation, as an early adopter holding the original iPhone in my hands is the closest I've ever come to believing in magic.
 Rog Wilko 24 Jun 2017
In reply to radddogg:

> So if you think you're better than everyone else because you've never had a smartphone, give your head a wobble, maybe you're not so smart.

Come on Rob, that's a bit presumptuous of you. Has anyone above implied they're superior for not having one? Of course they have their uses but personally I find my little Motorola folding job is quite enough to have cluttering my pocket. I don't want to spend half my life worrying where my phone is or having a special piece of equipment to contain it. But I don't think this makes me superior to anyone else, it just makes me a grumpy old dinosaur.

> In this modern techhie world I just wonder if it is possible to live and function without a smartphone.

> Without one life seems difficult, as so much seems to revolve around their use.

> Is life without a smartphone actually possible? Have you living proof?

Yes. I have never even had a normal mobile phone never mind a smartphone and I have always managed perfectly well.
 Robert Durran 24 Jun 2017
In reply to Heike:

> Our school just removed all communication with parents (newsletters, websites, text messages etc) to be replaced by a smart phone app.

I imagine half the teachers are just as pissed of as you about this! Somebody in the management needs a good talking to.........
 MonkeyPuzzle 24 Jun 2017

I'm embarrassingly addicted to mine and I'm trying to pluck up the will power to get rid of the f*cking thing.
 Billhook 24 Jun 2017

I don't have one. I do have, and sometimes use, an old Nokia which has no phone and only telephone/text capability.

We use the old fashioned method using our home phone line. Never goes wrong and always within signal range....
 wbo 24 Jun 2017
In reply to Monkey Puzzle: what do you mean addicted? Strip it of superfluous games, Aps and use it in a disiplined manner. ITS a tool, you're not a slave.

They're excellent tools and very useful - i could live without mine but its quite handy having a phone, camera, GPS, source of weather forecasts, route descriptions and topos , plus a ton of other stuff all in one place. I dont really see the point of bragging you dont have one .

oldie 24 Jun 2017

Have just an old Nokia, often not turned on or even taken. Agree with some that loads of different tools in one smartphone which can be useful (many don't work in no signal areas however). Whats App seems very useful for many clubs.
However feel superior when battery in smartphones runs out, eg after taking pics, and my Nokia is borrowed for vital phone calls to family, coastguards etc.
In reply to Dax H:
The point I am getting at is that at one point I was very anti technology, re smartphones as they tend to destroy conversation.( I think it's rude when you are in the company of others and they spend a lot of time looking at their phone) .

However now having had smartphone for about 3 years I am unsure how I would cope without the convenience of one. I actually understand mobile phone loss anxiety. When I had heard about it a few years ago, my initial reaction was 'what a load of rubbish.' I think differently nowadays.
Post edited at 15:56
 john arran 24 Jun 2017

A smartphone, like much of technology, is an enabler. It can enable you to be more knowledgeable, less lost, more communicative, etc. Or it can enable you to be a right unsociable twonk. It's a choice.

Isn't really fair to blame technology if it's used to ill effect by twonks.

Removed User 24 Jun 2017

Nice to see UKC 'don't have a tele' smugness updated for 2017. . .
 MonkeyPuzzle 24 Jun 2017
In reply to wbo:

Social media and the internet in general. Mindless scrolling rather than finish the excellent book I haven't touched in days. I know I'm not a slave but it's an addiction.

> All these folk on here that smugly declare: "never had one" have never lived

On the contrary. I am living all the more for not being enslaved by some stupid electronic contraption.
 wercat 24 Jun 2017
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy:

Why do people always assume smugness? It's an outgoing I couldn't really afford so I live without it
 jimtitt 24 Jun 2017

Of course, most of the world does. More personally I survive without any form of mobile telephone quite happily, as the wonders of modern telecommunications hasn´ t seen fit to actually make a signal available in my home then I have to anyway.
 Robert Durran 24 Jun 2017

> Is life without a smartphone actually possible?

So the answer is obviously yes.

A more interesting question would be whether it makes you happier. Same goes for most things you pay for in fact.

J1234 25 Jun 2017
In reply to radddogg:

Clubs engaging with smartphones does seem to be a good idea, however I am not so sure. I started a Facebook group for one club so I am no luddite, however IMHO there is a certain essence of a club that maybe being lost due to the transient nature of the smartphone world. It is the world we are heading for, but I am not sure that it is that good. Off climbing now arranged via Facebook within, 2 mins of deciding I wanted to climb.
 Trevers 25 Jun 2017

> In this modern techhie world I just wonder if it is possible to live and function without a smartphone.

> Without one life seems difficult, as so much seems to revolve around their use.

> Is life without a smartphone actually possible? Have you living proof?

I don't have a smart phone and apart from it being sometimes a bit difficult to organise social meet ups without Whatsapp, I'm getting along just fine
 Jenny C 25 Jun 2017
Got my first smartphone this year and in a way still miss my trusted old Nokia.

Benefits of smartphone
- Email on phone
- Quick and easy to check weather or news headlines online. (and UKC)
- texting is much easier and quicker with a full keyboard.

Downsides
-reduced battery life, probably around halved the standby time.
-Email on phone so needs willpower to ignore
- loosing chunks of my life to messing around on the Internet
- too big to fit into a pocket (and this is a so called compact size)
Post edited at 16:12
 Mark Edwards 25 Jun 2017

I currently have a very old Nokia 6700 despite being given newer models by my service provider.

When the Samsung Note was announced I thought that I had finally found a Smart Phone I had a use for (I tend to carry a notebook and pencils and take lots of notes).

When they turned out to be potential incendiary devices I had to have a re-think. OK perhaps a S7, at least they are waterproof (My Nokia has drowned about 3 times and takes about a week to dry out, each time). But then I found out that they don’t have a FM receiver. Had a look at the Sony Xperia which looks like a nice phone but fundamentally I don’t have any use for one. I’m not into Pokemon nor feel the need to be permanently connected to social media.

I have three laptops ((Works, Windows and Linux) at least one of which is always with me), a semi decent bridge camera and a mobile broadband dongle. Have tried Android on my company supplied Nexus Pad and hate it, as most of the things I really want it to do usually start off with ‘root your device, then…’.
estivoautumnal 25 Jun 2017

Good question. The answer depends on who you are and what you do.

I am self employed. Without a smartphone I would loose business. Simple as that.

If I worked 9-5 for an employer. Had no interest in finding out what the best cafe/pub/restaurant in a new area was, didn't care for up to date weather forecasts (saving rainy weekends in the west), didn't use online recipes, didn't read news online, didn't want to carry my camera with me everywhere, didn't need help with the crossword when away for a weekend in my camper van, and a thousand an one other very useful things.......Then yes, I could easily live without one.

But why? When you have the world's knowledge, reviews and information at your fingertips only a smug luddite would live without one. It's not all about cats on Facebook.

estivoautumnal 25 Jun 2017
In reply to Jenny C:

> - loosing chunks of my life to messing around on the Internet

That's purely a self discipline thing. Cant blame technology on that.
 Pilo 25 Jun 2017
In reply to Big boss:
You don't exist. It's illegal not to have a trackable phone.

Timmd 25 Jun 2017
In reply to estivoautumnal:
> When you have the world's knowledge, reviews and information at your fingertips only a smug luddite would live without one. It's not all about cats on Facebook.

'Only a smug Luddite' ? That seems rather sweeping?

I have a none smart phone so I'm not so bothered if it gets broken or stolen ( I keep a record of all my contacts in my email account so that they don't get lost if my phone does). I also know that I'd often be 'checking something' if I had a smart phone (I can have an impulsive/obsessive streak for some things), so a none internet phone means I look around me when out and about instead, and am generally more in the present moment.

I'd probably bug myself with the amount of time I spent on it if I had a smart phone...
Post edited at 23:07
 LeeWood 26 Jun 2017

I have only recently acquired a classic portable.

Whats really smart about smartphones is that they are so compelling - as to make believe they are essential - and thereafter that the latest model is essential - creating untold fashionable redundancy and consumerism. A honeypot for the electronics corps.

In our family the wife succumbed to our 12yr old son's whim to have one (and much against my protests) - his behaviour as adolescent is now (even more) unsociable and unruly as a result. Emotional outbreaks often after 8pm when he's told to leave it on the kitchen table
 French Erick 26 Jun 2017
In reply to john arran:

> Why would you want to live without the most useful tool in the box? It does so many useful things it's almost a miracle. You just need to be able to use it on your terms and not get obsessed with checking it every free moment.

I don't want one as I have no discipline... a pain in the arse at times but I have never had one and dread the time when current phone dies (will there be non smartphone then?)

Also recently saw something about cobalt mining in Africa and it has motivated me with avoiding multiple devices at home using it (I haven't got a tablet either).
 fred99 26 Jun 2017

I haven't got one, and I manage to survive (and thrive) without being permanently connected and on call.
 krikoman 26 Jun 2017

yes
 radddogg 26 Jun 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Hi Roger

Nobody has said that implicitly, no, but the balance of 'likes/dislikes' and comments by people stating they've never had one gave an impression of smugness. Perhaps my barometer is off?!

I understand the concern about the cost/value of a smartphone however my current smartphone was only £100 from Amazon - some are available even cheaper - and it is way smarter than I am!

Regards
Rob
 squarepeg 26 Jun 2017

Well I've never had one. My nokia is about 9 yr old.
 Chris Harris 26 Jun 2017
In reply to radddogg:

> I understand the concern about the cost/value of a smartphone however my current smartphone was only £100 from Amazon - some are available even cheaper - and it is way smarter than I am!

Presumably you have to pay a contract on top - how much a month is that?
 1poundSOCKS 26 Jun 2017

> Presumably you have to pay a contract on top - how much a month is that?

It varies a lot obviously. I pay £7.50 a month, which is probably about the cheapest you can get a call/text/data package, but I haven't checked deals out for a long time, so maybe I'm missing out on something better?
ChrisOl 26 Jun 2017

Of course it is. Just need to have an iPad or a tablet on hand
 radddogg 27 Jun 2017

Roger's point was about the value of the device. What has the contract got to do with anything?
 SenzuBean 27 Jun 2017
In reply to Jenny C:

> -Email on phone so needs willpower to ignore

For this you can turn off notifications for emails (and all other messaging apps). This means your phone is silent, and you can manually refresh emails when you want to. Today for example I haven't checked my phone for about 8 hours because I wanted to get work done.
In reply to john arran:

"A smartphone, like much of technology, is an enabler. It can enable you to be more knowledgeable..."

100% agree. For example this morning I was reading a new book on the tube (Winter in Madrid - CJ Sansom) which assumes you have some knowledge of the Spanish Civil War (I have very little). As I came across terms I was not very familiar with, a quick google on my phone had the answer in a couple of seconds. Makes for a much more rewarding read.

Also, since I went large (Iphone7 plus), the ipads in the house have become virtually redundant
 ericinbristol 27 Jun 2017
In reply to Siward:

Fab!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...