UKC

Climbing is rubbish because...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bouldery bits 24 Jun 2017

As I'm injured and miserable I'm creating a list of reasons climbing is rubbish to make me feel happier about not climbing.

Contributions welcome.
abseil 24 Jun 2017
In reply to bouldery bits:

....of giant boulders flying down at you out of nowhere.
 Reach>Talent 24 Jun 2017
.. it gets in the way of the beer and pies?

.. it ruined my hand modelling career?

.. fulmars.
 Goucho 24 Jun 2017

I'm two days post op on my shoulder, and already getting miserable at the thought of how long I'm going to be out of action.

And thinking about it just makes me realise how bloody wonderful climbing is, and how much I'm going to miss it over the coming months
abseil 24 Jun 2017

....of partners completely letting you down while actually at the crag.

....of weekends of non-stop torrential rain leaving you absolutely nothing to do.
 DerwentDiluted 24 Jun 2017

> a list of reasons climbing is rubbish

It takes up time which could be better spent in circular Brexit arguments on UKC

JEF 24 Jun 2017

of my habit of trying a warm up on a VDiff that turns out to be a gardening experience rather than a climb

Timmd 24 Jun 2017

Arthritic toe joints.
 Wayne S 24 Jun 2017

Well it's drags you away from the wife, when you would rather be inside at home doing DIY stuff under close supervision. You are forced to go to nice places and endure fresh air. All that physical exertion only serves to keep you fit. You get horribly tanned. It's very challenging, which only encourages a silly sense of calm and wellbeing.

Am I helping at all?

When you have osteoarthritis in your knees, tennis elbows and knackered shoulders..........
 Timmd 24 Jun 2017
In reply to Christheclimber:

I'm almost glad I got dodgy elbows when I did, it's possibly saved my toes?
 sheelba 24 Jun 2017

I feel your pain injured my wrist just before climbing holiday.
 Padraig 24 Jun 2017

Climbing is rubbish because.....you still have to get back down again...
 BrendanO 25 Jun 2017

You give up a well-paid job that you have stopped enjoying and started hating and go and work in climbing walls. Oh, hang on...
OP bouldery bits 25 Jun 2017
In reply to Wayne S:

> Well it's drags you away from the wife, when you would rather be inside at home doing DIY stuff under close supervision. You are forced to go to nice places and endure fresh air. All that physical exertion only serves to keep you fit. You get horribly tanned. It's very challenging, which only encourages a silly sense of calm and wellbeing.

> Am I helping at all?

I hate you.

:P
 Morty 25 Jun 2017

Your wardrobe is pretty much entirely made up of climbing apparel. Your car is an Octavia, or a van with a mattress in the back. You spend too much time trying to crimp things that are not climbing holds. You spend too much time trying to jam between the wall and the banister at work. You never use an escalator or lift because you can see an opportunity for hill training. Your family think you are odd. Learning how to tie new knots is akin to sexual arousal. Without realising, you spend too much time climbing and training and you miss valuable time with your kids that you realise you will never get back. Your partner thinks you are a selfish obsessive and they want to end your relationship. You have an unhealthy relationship with food. You have a hunchback because of overtraining. When you are older you will ache in just about every (swollen) joint in your body. The "Have you heard about..." conversations. You can't buy an off the peg suit because your shoulders are stupidly wide. Your climbing gear costs more than your car. The shelves, cupboards and loft in your house are filled with 30 years worth of climbing guides, magazines and books. You have six different guidebooks to Stanage. You remember when climbing was niche.

Wsdconst 25 Jun 2017
In reply to Morty:

You spend too much time trying to crimp things that are not climbing holds.

That made me laugh, I'm also guilty of this.
OP bouldery bits 25 Jun 2017
In reply to Morty:

Hahaha!

Class.

And yes, I always choose the stairs!
 Wayne S 25 Jun 2017
LOL. Heal quickly, I do sympathise really.

So to fall into line I offer:

Elbow Tendinitis
Sore swollen fingers
Scared hands and shins
Hours lost traveling to crags
Chalky climbing walls
Over tight climbing shoes on hot swollen feet
Offwidths
Wet Rock
Ticks
Midges
Freezing Belays
Baking Belays
Sandbags
Polished Rock
Lose Rock
Beta sprayers
Those people that talk very authoritatively at the foot of crags but who never actually seem to climb
Years of effort for marginal gains
Sketchy leads above dodgy gear
The hot aches
Wayward ropes
Scree
Jammed abseil ropes
Diets

Enough?

KS132 25 Jun 2017
In reply to broken spectre:

Brilliant article!
 Gone 25 Jun 2017
In reply to Wayne S:

Did you miss 'possibility of horrible death' from that list?
 Bobling 25 Jun 2017

You can't do it in the rain and you live in Britain.
 Wayne S 26 Jun 2017
In reply to Gone:

Most things on my list are unavoidable when climbing, a horrible death is still optional!

Wayne
 Wingnut 26 Jun 2017

A good holiday means slouching back into work with scabbed knuckles, no fingernails left and an odd-looking pale V-shape under each ear from your helmet straps. Then someone asks if you had a good holiday, and gives you funny looks abou the answer ...

It gets my new car chalky
 smithg 26 Jun 2017

Out of season, but still spot on.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=276395
 springfall2008 27 Jun 2017

You could have just walked around to the top and saved all the faff!
 Tigger 27 Jun 2017

No more 2 hour drives to the crag only to be met with rain, followed by finding shelter in over priced cafe, calling it a day heading to an indoor wall. Only to emerge later and realise the weather picked up as soon as you stepped into the aforementioned indoor wall.
 Rakim 27 Jun 2017

listening to sports climbers "hilarious" stories
listening to boulders repeat the non- word "7a" over and over and over again.
listening to trad climbers find yet another reason to not "blow the onsite"
 Andy Hardy 27 Jun 2017

Climbing is rubbish because it demotivates me for 8am Monday.

(But I am quite happy at 5pm Friday...)
 jonnie3430 27 Jun 2017

Because I'll never get to climb slings at duntelchaig for the first time again. I loved everything about that route and I don't think I'll find anything like it again.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...